Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 12,714 times

Advertisements

I put my house up for sale about a month ago, but now change my mind. I know I signed a contract, but there have been changes in my personal situation that makes it best for myself and my 2 children to stay in the house. (Long sotry) I have never dealt with realtors before and not sure how to handle this. My real eastate angent is awesome and I feel horrible about having to ask her this. But I really dont want to move at least until school lets out in the summer time.
thanks for any advice.. pls no lecturing on how a contract is a binding deal... I am aware of that. ) I just need advice. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,662,511 times
Explain to your agent the situation.
Many times with a situation like yours they will just withdraw the listing.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 AM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
Just tell her that your situation has changed and ask to be released. If you plan to sell later just tell her you will use her again, since you sound happy with her.

If it makes you and her feel better you can rewrite the listing agreement to start in June or July or something.

I had a client diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks into a contract. I mean things happen. Just be honest about your situation. Good agents are reasonable people.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,932,892 times
Just tell you agent that you've changed your mind. Let them know you're happy with their service, but have reconsidered selling at this time.

Now if you're planning on selling in the summer you may want to rethink taking the house off the market, since in may take a few months to find the buyer, and then a month or so to close.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,323,993 times
If the agent has a hard time releasing you from the listing, just increase the price to a million dollars over what it's worth. If it sells at that price you probably could find a way to move

Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,819 times
I signed an agent, and two weeks later had a confirmed renter. Since our house was on the market two years, she understood. She did put an addendum to the contract that she would still get her fee if we sold the house before the end of her original contract, which we understood (because the renters were interested in buying).

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM

121 posts, read 415,353 times
Stuff takes a while to sell these days.....months. So if you want to move in June, now's the time to have it on the market. You can always turn down an offer, or, as someone else suggested, raise your price, then lower it in april or so.

Also, simply discuss it with your realtor.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 AM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
Piggy backing on futurecruiser, you can also negotiate to rent back your home in the event it does sell earlier than June. That way you wouldn't have to disrupt your children before school ends.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,947,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade8568 View Post
I put my house up for sale about a month ago, but now change my mind. I know I signed a contract, but there have been changes in my personal situation that makes it best for myself and my 2 children to stay in the house. (Long sotry) I have never dealt with realtors before and not sure how to handle this. My real eastate angent is awesome and I feel horrible about having to ask her this. But I really dont want to move at least until school lets out in the summer time.
thanks for any advice.. pls no lecturing on how a contract is a binding deal... I am aware of that. ) I just need advice. thanks!
This is really a very simple thing. You call the real estate agent & say, something's come up, I can't sell my house. Please pull it off the market.
The agent will likely want to be sure you aren't doing this in order to sell it to someone without paying his commission, and will likely request that it just be withdrawn from the MLS, and that his contract remain in place. Just in case you decide to sell. But that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Of course, if the end of the school year is when you will be ready to move, it's entirely possible that pulling it off the market now is not a smart move. It depends on yoru market, and how fast you & your agent expect the place to go under contract. You want to have this conversation with him before just pulling it off the market. If it's slow market,a nd the average house is taking 120 days to sell, and then another 45 to close, where does that put you? Mid May? You might be better off negotiating your closing to be after school ends. Sit down & discuss it all with your agent, as he should have a good handle on how your home will move in the current market.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,787,895 times
It is your house and since you don't have a sales contract on it you can back out at any time...or you can try to sell with a closing date near the Summer...houses aren't moving so fast anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals