Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times

Advertisements

So far I've worked with two realtors and both times I felt like I was looking and researching all the listings myself. I would pick a place, they would show it to me and then I would pick the next place until I found something I like. Neither really seemed to have a good opinion on anything and didn't really offer solid advice. One told me she thought I was getting a fair deal but not a great deal. She also showed us one property but failed to tell us there was a history of standing water underneath. I found that fact out b/c her husband was our mortgage broker and after they sold us our current place he told me about the property with standing water and how they were going to put an offer on it themselves but decided not to because of the standing water. Oh yeah, I find out later he made quite a bit on us on the mortgage he arranged for us and this was supposed to be someone we knew through a friend. No good experiences to report so far.

What are some good questions to ask a prospective realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Definitely interview the agent just like you would any other professional you were planning to hire, i.e. accountant, attorney, etc. Buying a home is big financial decision, but so often buyers just get an agent "by default". They call about a listing or walk into an agency, and they end up working with the agent that happens to be working floor that day, or the agent who's name happens to be on the sign they call off of. Not that the agent might not end up being a good agent, but such a big decision shouldn't just be left to the "luck of the draw".

Here's a few things you can do:
1) Ask friends, neighbors, other professional businessmen who they would recommend.
2) Try researching via the Internet. Many agents will put a "profile" or "about me" page on their website. If the description about themselves is "all about them" or sounds canned, then keep looking til something you read about the agent hits home for you.
3) Interview the prospective agent. Tell them what you're looking for. Ask them to explain how they work for you. If you like those answers, then ask them to show you a few properties. DO NOT SIGN A BUYERS BROKER AGREEMENT AT THIS TIME. This initial meeting/tours will give both you and the agent a chance to get to know each other and decide if you'd enjoy working together to find your next home.
4) If things go well on that initial interview/showing, THEN you can sign a BBA if you think you'll be comfortable working with that agent. If not, then move on.

You do not have to accept poor service from an agent. If you've let the agent know what you expect in the way of service, and if they're not doing their job, then move on and don't feel guilty about it. People don't put up with poor service from the place that changes the oil in their car ($35). No need to put up with it when it comes to buying a house ($350,000).

Old 04-20-2008, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 35,502 times
Maybe the realtors don't think you are a serious buyer. We get a lot of tire kickers who like to ride around and look at houses and never commit. To prove you are serious you should get approved to buy through a lender and let your realtor know you are approved and give them a time frame when you want to move-let them know you are serious otherwise they will work with the buyers who are making the move or purchase quickly.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM

99 posts, read 326,062 times
Ask your friends for referrals. When you call the Realtor, tell them who referred you and then interview them, they are being hired for a job after all! Pick a Realtor that you would want to be friends with, you will be spending a lot of time with them, and if you feel that they aren't giving you their best- speak up and terminate your relationship. We are working for you, not the other way around. Good luck!!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:26 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchatfield View Post
Maybe the realtors don't think you are a serious buyer. We get a lot of tire kickers who like to ride around and look at houses and never commit. To prove you are serious you should get approved to buy through a lender and let your realtor know you are approved and give them a time frame when you want to move-let them know you are serious otherwise they will work with the buyers who are making the move or purchase quickly.
How can I not be serious? I just mentioned that I've bought 2 places already in the last 5 years. I won't be buying/selling for another few years but I want to be better prepared next time in dealing with a realtor b/c honestly it felt like they didn't really do too much besides letting me in the house(s) and getting paperwork together for the closing. Tell me there's more to it than that. Should my realtor try bargaining prices for me? My last realtor simply said "pay what you think is fair" and told me we were getting an "ok" deal on the house. That didn't really help me. I know some realtors who sell for people will stage the property but I'm sure that's included in the fees.

Anyways, thx for the responses.

Last edited by Redline; 04-21-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 05:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Your agent can't legally make a decision on what you should pay for a property. They can, and should, provide you with information on comparable properties, statistics on the market in general, and other things, but the decision must come from you. Yes, they can, and should, negotiate for you, but you should be actively involved in the negotiations in terms of decision-making.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Sounds like your agents are reactionary.

There are however, plenty of agents like me, who will spend an hour or so with a client before making appointments to see property. It allows both parties to do the " getting to know you" thing and most importantly what and why you want what you want.

Most tire kickers will decline the mutual interview and move on to an agent who will blow tanks of gas and hours and hours, entertaining them.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds like your agents are reactionary.

There are however, plenty of agents like me, who will spend an hour or so with a client before making appointments to see property. It allows both parties to do the " getting to know you" thing and most importantly what and why you want what you want.

Most tire kickers will decline the mutual interview and move on to an agent who will blow tanks of gas and hours and hours, entertaining them.
Most of my recent clients have found me online and we have exchanged several emails and calls before we even get together in person where I get an idea of what they are looking for and about themselves. When we get together in person, we typically talk for 10-15 minutes to reitorate and clarify things we discussed in person before we go out so they won't get bored with me (jk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals