Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times

Advertisements

We have a bad market, and it seems that a lot of realtors list and wait for people to come. Many people on this forum mention getting a realtor who finds the buyer is a great strategy for selling. How do we find an aggressive realtor like this? What things should we look for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
We have a BAD market? We have an excellent market for buyers...low interest rates, pricing on homes lower than last year, good inventory. What's bad about the market? It's a challenging market for sellers, especially if their expectations are high, but it's not a bad market.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
We have a bad market, and it seems that a lot of realtors list and wait for people to come. Many people on this forum mention getting a realtor who finds the buyer is a great strategy for selling. How do we find an aggressive realtor like this? What things should we look for?
I agree the market is horrible for anyone wanting to sell. I'll pass along things I was told. Get an experienced agent. Someone who has worked in this kind of market before. Someone who has ties and connections in your community. Be aware, it's going to take time. The inventories are huge and that doesn't count all the failed listings. The only way you are going to have a quick sale is to practically give the property away.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,120 times
ask friends, relatives, coworkers for referrals. then interview. Ask really good questions: How long in the business. How many listings last year. How many this year. How many days on market to sell. What is your marketing program. How will we communicate and how often. and other questions you may have.

Also, work with your REA. they are giving you their best advice. Once you have interviewed and chosen the one you believe is the best and worked into your relationship, you are now in partnership together. Each partner needs to pull their weight for a successful outcome.

Shelly

Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I second the asking for referrals.

Also, I think the most successful realtors are those who have networked and have established relationships/are well thought of by other realtors and also have a presence in the community. In my area, there are a few realtors that consitently have a high # of homes sold (they're published in our local paper) and they also happen to sponsor charity events/give back to the community. There are other, cheaper realtors, but when I sell I'm going with the ones that I see out there working and giving back. Incidentally, they're all with different companies, but they seem to work well together. I think they can shorten the gap between me as a seller and potential qualified buyers and that's definitely worth it.

Another question that I'd ask is who exactly is going to be handling your house? One of my neighbors went with a real estate agent who's new and inexperienced assistant ended up handling her house. It was a disaster.

And I'd ask how they're planning to market my house. Especially in this market, they've got to have a plan that involves more than a sign in the yard and an mls number. For example, lately the houses in my neighborhood that are for sale have their own websites. As in 123mockinbirdlane.com. My hat's off to the agent(s) who thought of that. I thought it was a great idea and the websites are very well done.

Good luck

Old 06-05-2007, 11:28 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
A good Realtor understands that the marketing is done for two groups;

1. Another Realtor with a ready/willing/able buyer.

2. A Buyer unrepresented by another Realtor.

People buy houses that are in good condition in a good location for a good value, in any market.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
Quick reps to you all... thank you for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals