Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,581,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Photos:
I would ditch the first photo because all I can't take my eyes off the awful patch on the roof next door.
Impression: Crummy neighborhood.

Which really matters! As the saying goes - "A nest is only as nice as it's tree".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM

8 posts, read 29,551 times
Neighborhood background....The neighborhood is in transition. There are about 7 house on the street that are either being flipped or up for sale. On the street, there are about 50 houses and I would say half are nice, remodeled or flipped and sold. The others are run down.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 29,551 times
With regards to some questions that have been asked, this is a flip. We do not live in the area, but a few hours away. The house does not have a garage but a concrete slab where 2 cars can be parked in the back (hence part of the reason for the lower price)

The house is next to an ally, however, that is common for this area(yet another reason for the lower price)

The neighbor behind the house has cleaned up his yard, the house next door is being flipped and the house next door to that has already been flipped and is up for sale.

With regards to comment about lowering the price, we have and it hasn't done anything. We are currently listed below comps so I am not sure its a pricing issue but it is something we will investigate.

I think the consensus so far, it that it isn't showing well in the pictures and the location is questionable. We are getting new pictures done this weekend and freshening up the landscape(prior to the pictures of course)

Thank you again everyone for all the feedback and I am certainly open to more!

Old 08-16-2018, 01:16 PM

17,725 posts, read 29,936,113 times
Stain the back deck.
Get professional photos. too dark. Too many closeups.

The schools suck. You need to target people without kids.

The WalkScore is OK at 59. Make a poster showing all the places/shops you can walk to.

Looking at the history on Zillow, this looks like a flip.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 PM

22,029 posts, read 9,614,490 times
I won't comment on the pictures. I think that has been covered. What are the comps selling for? (Can't believe no one has asked this).

Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,258,441 times
This is probably unimportant as far as selling a house goes....but picture #14. Gray walls, gray furniture, gray rug, dreary picture...and a chair in front of the doorway to another room. There is nothing about that room that is inviting. You have got to brighten those rooms up. And I would get those ugly rugs out of there. I know it wont keep someone from buying a house if they like it, but it makes the pictures...busy. All the inside pictures are dreary. I almost feel like Im looking at black and white pictures. The house may show well once you get there, but those pictures wont get anyone there.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 AM

8,089 posts, read 10,123,072 times
Better pictures needed....

Now that we know it is a flip, it sort of looks like a little bit of low quality materials and especially workmanship...light fixture with chip of ceiling missing, for example...

Did you do the work yourself?

House needs to pop, real quickly to viewers. Too many little negatives that bring into question what the buyer is looking at. Old dog? Or quality rehab? It is hard to decide.

Go through it again. Fix things like messy concrete steps. Make them inviting. Chalk it up to experience. Go look at a professional flip. You will see Lots of things which catch a buyers eye and 'make the sale' (even though most of it is crap--that is not your problem after you make the sale).

Get out of it at cost, if you can, and take the experience on to the next one.

Oh...yes...rent furniture and get it professionally staged.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:52 AM

5,297 posts, read 5,258,441 times
I think you are underestimating the bad location. Looking at Google Maps, its not in a very appealing spot, not to mention no garage. I know you think you are properly priced, but you arent buying the house. You dropped the price 6 days after listing, and then another drop 7 days later. I would have to think some early feedback caused that?

Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 AM

6,404 posts, read 5,534,459 times
The house overall just looks "cheap" from the outside. The vinyl siding, the windows with no trim or shutters, the plain yard. And yeah the picture angles are way off. I know that's a dead horse that's been beaten though.

Kitchen looks really nice and fairly spacious.

The worst thing IMO about this listing is that shot of the (hopefully not master) bedroom with the angled ceiling and small octagon window. It's giving me claustrophobia just looking at it. I'm not sure if it is just the angle of the picture or if the bed is over-sized or what but it looks like you'd have to crawl out of the bed and shimmy with your head ducked down and butt rubbing against the wall every morning. Not very appealing.

Is that little octagon the only window in the room? If it isn't (which I hope) definitely get a shot of the room showing a full-sized and open-able window. If that is the only window in that room (yikes!)....I wouldn't stage it a bedroom. Maybe an office with a small desk or a cozy library/reading space or something.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 08-19-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-19-2018, 01:58 PM

22,715 posts, read 36,923,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The house overall just looks "cheap" from the outside. The vinyl siding, the windows with no trim or shutters, the plain yard. .
Yup, fix the curb appeal. First thing I thought was get shutters on the front windows. I couldn't live with a house that looked like that from the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals