Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
but I digress

Just venting. Thinking out loud.
jeepers.

I think what you're trying to convey is there aren't ranches that meet your needs for size, location, lot size, and budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
actually, that shows a complete lack of analysis, and just free association.

it is possible that your wants and needs cannot be met, and therefore either your budget has to go up or your needs need to go down. Or you move out of the great state of CT to somewhere where both can be met.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,797,226 times
How about a 2 level home where the master or a large enough bedroom to be a master and a bathroom are downstairs? In the northeast 1 level homes are a rarity. My aunt and uncle in NJ were looking for one because my grandfather could not go up and down stairs anymore, but he passed away before they found one, They eventually did find a 2/1 with a semi finished basement with a half bath and lived there for about 10 years, they figured they were getting older themselves and 2 levels was not good for them. Recently they moved to Florida where in a lot of towns it's the norm that most homes only have 1 level.

Or if you can find a home with a family room that can be enclosed to a bedroom or a den downstairs you can turn that into your bedroom. Then you have the extra rooms upstairs for guests or whatever you would do with the extra rooms that you didn't need.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 04-26-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
...anyway, what part of CT are you looking at? Also what about condos that have elevators?

And a stair lift is just a chair that's mounted on the side of the stairwell. The person sits on the seat and presses a button and up they go. A lot of people have them.

A ranch would be best though because you wouldn't have to do anything.

Again, are you looking around Hartford? Litchfield? Eastern part of the state? FF County?

The houses are pretty cheap in CT but it's the property taxes that get you. And taxes on everything.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:27 PM

898 posts, read 600,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
jeepers.

I think what you're trying to convey is there aren't ranches that meet your needs for size, location, lot size, and budget.
find me ranches in Middlesex or Hartford counties that aren't in New Britain, West Hartford, Middletown, East Hartford, Hartford, Bloomfield, Newington, Rocky Hill that are WEST of the river, and 40 minutes from West Hartford Center.... I'm like Damn....300 houses and NO ranches.... In less than 10 minutes I can walk out my front door, and walk past probably 10 ranches for sale. They are all 800-950ft, and if you fart with the window open, the neighbor will hear you...I can spit out of my bedroom window and hit my neighbor's driveway... we want some elbow room....2am and listening to the neighbor's kids in the driveway smoking weed....smelling the damn weed. They don't do it in the back yard, or on the other side of the house, they do it 10ft from my open bedroom window..... I don't want a neighbor 10ft from my bedroom window.....

Taxes less than $1,200 per month...yeah and you get your snow plowed 6 times per year....For $1,200 per month....

Old 04-26-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...anyway, what part of CT are you looking at? Also what about condos that have elevators?

And a stair lift is just a chair that's mounted on the side of the stairwell. The person sits on the seat and presses a button and up they go. A lot of people have them.

A ranch would be best though because you wouldn't have to do anything.

Again, are you looking around Hartford? Litchfield? Eastern part of the state? FF County?

The houses are pretty cheap in CT but it's the property taxes that get you. And taxes on everything.

Waiting for them to come up with the "property tax, tax"

Old 04-26-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
How about a 2 level home where the master or a large enough bedroom to be a master and a bathroom are downstairs? In the northeast 1 level homes are a rarity. My aunt and uncle in NJ were looking for one because my grandfather could not go up and down stairs anymore, but he passed away before they found one, They eventually did find a 2/1 with a semi finished basement with a half bath and lived there for about 10 years, they figured they were getting older themselves and 2 levels was not good for them. Recently they moved to Florida where in a lot of towns it's the norm that most homes only have 1 level.

Or if you can find a home with a family room that can be enclosed to a bedroom or a den downstairs you can turn that into your bedroom. Then you have the extra rooms upstairs for guests or whatever you would do with the extra rooms that you didn't need.
"sweetheart, the love of my life, I found us a gorgeous home, but you can never go see the upstairs"

Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,797,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
"sweetheart, the love of my life, I found us a gorgeous home, but you can never go see the upstairs"
Facetime the upstairs. or go live in a condo.

You can always have a party and have your strong friends lift her upstairs to look around and then bring her down later.

You sound angry and upset which is understandable. I'm thinking you guys are 80 and you said you were only 55. You have to think outside the box if the box you want to live in doesn't exist.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:43 PM

Will be needing less than 40 minutes from West Hartford Center, but not in the lists NO towns mentioned above. May as well just stay in New Britain and smell the ganga and screaming from the neighbors...

and for anybody thinking, no plans to ever by my dad's house where we live and take care of him. My sisters really have no clue to the effort to do so... first of all, if I ever bought this house, they would forever consider it Dad's house and feel they have free access 24/7. Already dealing with that while my dad is recovering from hip replacement last week. Had to change the locks...Bat **** crazy...... House was built in 1959 and needs an entire rehab from bottom to top. We would probably have to move out for 3 months while the work got done, and it's still not big enough. Can't add on. If I did what's needed to fix the water issues in the basement, and the main level renovations, I'd have over $100,000 in, plus the cost of the house, to get a house worth $130k.... No, we are gone....

Old 04-26-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Facetime the upstairs. or go live in a condo.

You can always have a party and have your strong friends lift her upstairs to look around and then bring her down later.

You sound angry and upset which is understandable. I'm thinking you guys are 80 and you said you were only 55. You have to think outside the box if the box you want to live in doesn't exist.
She is only 50, and I'm 55..... I just know, that we have to go with a ranch..... after a triple heart bypass in November, and a lower back "disceptomy" in December, She is done with stairs. I think a Raised Ranch with a residential elevator might be a cost effective option if we can't find a flat out plain ranch....

Before she leaves for work, "where is my cane?"

I'm not angry at all..... I'm an engineer by trade and have no choice but to think things out.... So DH and BB think I'm a nutcase....I just have to punch numbers, analyze, look at all of the angles, before doing anything....I think I stated that my post today is barely "pre-looking" an idea search. I care for an 87yo guy who just had a hip replacement, emergency appendectomy last summer, 3 inch melanoma removal with a post surgery infection after that (fun watching the surgeon cut open and drain that) and a knee replacement the year before and a basal cell carcinoma removal?....guy is like the energizer bunny.....I go buy him his ice cream and his disgusting Backwoods Cigars, give him dinner and do his laundry... he's my dad and the only dad I've got, but he's outlived like 4 healthier brothers by at least 5 to 15 years. I dunno, I get his ice cream and his Backwoods and make him dinner. 7:30 am and I'm like Damn....not today, and his bedroom door opens. Oh, And I go to Costco and buy him huge friggin' muffins. I don't touch the darn things....My doctor yelled at me for eating a sweet potato....Pissed that I have tomato plants growing...But Dad has muffins, ice cream, cigars, breakfast for 2 every day, and I make a healthy meal and hear "no bread, no potatoes"......damn I hope I have his genes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals