Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,143,722 times

Advertisements

Austin's surplus: $10M to affordable housing - Austin Business Journal

Austin City Council directed the largest share of its $14.3 million surplus to low-income housing at a work session Tuesday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,767,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Austin's surplus: $10M to affordable housing - Austin Business Journal

Austin City Council directed the largest share of its $14.3 million surplus to low-income housing at a work session Tuesday night.
Ironically, it only directed 188K to new hires to meet the permit backlog. If the city council were really concerned with affordable housing it would address the the kafkaesque land-use development codes that created this situation in the first place.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
I find it highly offensive that the majority of the current council has decided to ignore the will of the voters and send our tax dollars on something we just declined approving in a public election. I think they know with the council redistricting they are not likely to be reelected and this is their way of imposing their personal opinions on the rest of us.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM

579 posts, read 1,229,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I find it highly offensive that the majority of the current council has decided to ignore the will of the voters and send our tax dollars on something we just declined approving in a public election. I think they know with the council redistricting they are not likely to be reelected and this is their way of imposing their personal opinions on the rest of us.
Agreed. Slap in the face to the voters.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,284,870 times
Two maps will tell you much of what you need to know about this.

The first is the precinct voting for Prop 15 - the defeated "affordable" housing initiative - red districts for, blue against.

Second is a map of the home addresses of the current council. It should come as no surprise that the current council was legitimately shocked at the Prop 15 outcome. EVERYBODY they knew voted for it - how could anyone be against it? The vote to ignore the expressed will of the people was just a huge case of confirmation bias.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
Interesting note at the end:
Council did not heed Mayor Lee Leffingwell's push to use a large amount of money to offset future property tax increases. Only
Quote:
$500,000 was set aside for tax relief, although if federal matching funds aren't available for the affordable housing project $4.5 million of that money will be used for tax relief instead.
Anyway, what irks me is not where they spent it so much as the fact that they are going to SPEND it instead of 'return' it in some form or fashion. We will never have any sort of debt reduction if every + year in revenue is turned back into an even or - year.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,062,258 times
Honestly, I'm not surprised.
Austin claims to be "liberal" but is very NIMBY with regard to spread-the-wealth policies if that means it may affect them in some way.
By the way, I think most government subsidized housing is a bad idea... then again I don't vote for liberal/ far left candidates locally or otherwise.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
With Austin RE going up where else are the poor people going to live ?
They are being priced out of their city.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,767,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With Austin RE going up where else are the poor people going to live ?
They are being priced out of their city.
These programs are a bandaid on an axewound, only help a minuscule number of "lottery winners" and make the city NIMBY's feel a little less guilty about causing the problem in the first place.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:24 AM

227 posts, read 366,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
These programs are a bandaid on an axewound, only help a minuscule number of "lottery winners" and make the city NIMBY's feel a little less guilty about causing the problem in the first place.
This.

I'm not philosophically opposed to affordable housing set asides in the abstract (I'd describe myself as a European-style social democrat) but these debates serve exactly the purpose you describe. Allows NIMBYs who want to feel "progressive" assuage guilt about taking a "I got mine *********" attitude toward zoning and development, while doing very little for the larger problem.

[Edit: And again, the auto-censor makes it look like wrote something worse than I actually did....]

Last edited by tildahat; 02-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: