Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,593,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Where in the OP were police reports and filed complaints mentioned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Ignore the trolls and they may get tired of playing.
There was absolutely nothing unclear in my post as to the relevance of complaints and police reports.

I'll take "trolls" posting correct and responsible information here over licensed agents posting in their professional capacity telling consumers definitively that they do not need to disclose things. And having no idea where these consumers are located or anything about their situation. Reckless. Irresponsible. Poor quality. Low standards. Misinformation.

And you're worried that I talked about something that the OP did not mention???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,259,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
There was absolutely nothing unclear in my post as to the relevance of complaints and police reports.

I'll take "trolls" posting correct and responsible information here over licensed agents posting in their professional capacity telling consumers definitively that they do not need to disclose things. And having no idea where these consumers are located or anything about their situation. Reckless. Irresponsible. Poor quality. Low standards. Misinformation.

And you're worried that I talked about something that the OP did not mention???
I would like to nominate you, since it's clearly a skill-set that you enjoy, as our official topic police.

this topic is pinned, but largely ignored

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...tion-when.html

if you could just quickly point out to all new topics posted the necessity of following the simple rule, then I for one will wait until the OP gives us a more thorough explanation of their problem especially their state, so that any input I have is as appropriate as possible.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 PM

43,377 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Bo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vY-4zWKsJM

Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
Quote:
In some areas that I'm familiar with, you need to disclose disputes and problems with neighbors. The disclosure requirement is not asking you for your opinion. Having a dispute or problem is factual, not subjective. If you've lodged noise complaints (or even repeatedly complained to your neighbor or wrote him a letter about it), you've called the police because your neighbor's kids continually through rocks at you over the fence or you've taken the neighbor to court over something, that (under these rules) needs to be disclosed because it's a dispute/problem with the neighbor (noise, nuisance, problem, dispute, etc). We've discussed this on other threads and it's really very easy but for some reason people fail to grasp this.

Nothing to do with your opinion, feeling, or view of whether your neighbors are nice, rude, friendly, pushy, too noisy, don't say 'good morning', act funny, avoid eye contact, etc.

It's true that the buyer may become best friends with the neighbor that the seller had a dispute with. Why does that matter? The seller is just disclosing the fact that he had a dispute/problem. What happens with the buyer and the neighbor is not an issue with the disclosure. You disclose that you had a leaky roof that was repaired. The new owner may never have a problem with the roof. He may love the roof. You're just disclosing a fact about the roof. Same concept. I don't know why anyone would think that what may or may not happen in the future is relevant to how you disclose facts about the home. That's faulty logic and not the way disclosures work anywhere that I am aware of. Conversely, if you've had no problems or disputes with your neighbor, your buyer may have huge problems with the neighbors. Not your issue. You've disclosed responsibly. Same with the roof. You've had no problem with it and 6 months later it leaks on your buyer. Not your problem. You've disclosed legally.

To be 100% clear, I'm not saying this is how it works everywhere with regards to disputes, nuisances and neighbor problems and in fact it doesn't. I'm not an expert on this but I think that this might be an issue in some states with open ended disclosure requirements. Like requirements to disclose things that might materially affect the value of the property. I'm not giving legal opinion nor do I know what kind of cases there have been in various states around this but I would image that a buyer could argue that nuisance neighbors have impacted the value of the home and should have been disclosed because the seller, for example, had 12 calls to police, 2 lawsuits, 10 letters, etc with the neighbor. Hard for the seller to argue that he did not know about this problem. Get your own legal advice.

I still can't understand how licensed agents posting in their professional capacity can be definitively telling people what they need to disclose when they don't even know the consumer's location or really ANYTHING about their situation. Am I wrong here? How reckless and irresponsible. I'm just a consumer and even I get that you need to be responsible with information and advice that you give to consumers.
That's why I said most states don't require it because most don't because it is subjective. Some states have specific questions such as noise nuisance disclosures. That is pretty common. The OP is stating that the neighbor is looney tunes. Not that they are noisy or committing criminal acts. In most states, there will not be a "my neighbor is a nasty person" disclosure because it is too subjective. They will ask specific questions about chronic noise disturbances like chronic barking dogs, for example. That is less ambiguous.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would like to nominate you, since it's clearly a skill-set that you enjoy, as our official topic police.

this topic is pinned, but largely ignored

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...tion-when.html

if you could just quickly point out to all new topics posted the necessity of following the simple rule, then I for one will wait until the OP gives us a more thorough explanation of their problem especially their state, so that any input I have is as appropriate as possible.

Thanks!
If you don't know the consumer's location (or anything at all about their situation), just go ahead and tell consumers that something doesn't need to be disclosed, when, in fact, they very well may have a serious legal obligation to do so. Yeah that's the way professionals should operate. You're supposed to be the professional here and now you're off blaming the consumer for not giving his location! Are you for real?

Being responsible and professional should just come naturally. Why does it have to be so difficult for some people who are supposed to be professionals? Why go off just throwing out answers that can be very dangerous to consumers when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? People can refer to info here long after it's posted and you should explain things correctly.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That's why I said most states don't require it because most don't because it is subjective. Some states have specific questions such as noise nuisance disclosures. That is pretty common. The OP is stating that the neighbor is looney tunes. Not that they are noisy or committing criminal acts. In most states, there will not be a "my neighbor is a nasty person" disclosure because it is too subjective. They will ask specific questions about chronic noise disturbances like chronic barking dogs, for example. That is less ambiguous.
We have no idea what 'looney tunes' means. I was only naturally assuming that there was some kind of nuisance behavior associated with it. Something that impacted the OP and his enjoyment of the property or perhaps you could argue, the value of the property. Perhaps something that might have a history of complaints, etc. (hardly subjective if this is the case). In some states/places those behaviors may have been required to have been disclosed to the OP.

We don't know what happened here so just discussing. I don't think he'd care if someone was just 'looney tunes' and it didn't impact him in any way. If this is code for mental illness then obviously it can't be disclosed like that due to federal laws.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:44 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,123,521 times
Quote:
Yes...since some states DO require disclosure of neighbor problems. ...
Just_because, you keep repeating this. Can you please say WHICH states and post links?

Note, I'm not a Realtor, just a curious human. But I keep reading your posts and you keep saying the same thing with no details about WHERE you are referring to, with links to show the "rules." Those things would be REALLY helpful. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2018, 01:51 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
Quote:
I don't think he'd care if someone was just 'looney tunes' and it didn't impact him in any way. If this is code for mental illness then obviously it can't be disclosed like that due to federal laws.
I do think the OP cares and that is the issue. The OP thinks the neighbor is looney tunes which is slang for someone with mental illness/poor social skills/lonely/anxious, etc. You can look it up on Merriam-Webster. The OP doesn't want to be around them. Hence wanting to know if that was a required disclosure. There are many people that are intolerant of others that have a mental illness, poor social skills, etc.

Many consumers on this forum have asked about nuisance neighbors from the man that shot bullets all hours of the day, to barking dogs, to loud parties, drug houses down the street, etc. None of them were called looney tunes which again, has a specific connotation to it.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:11 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,936 times
all agents on this board would be best served to just respond to every thread with "talk to your attorney" and leave it at that. That'll satisfy J_B (hint: it likely still wont) and this subforum will surely move at breakneck speeds with interaction and topics

Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM

43,377 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
all agents on this board would be best served to just respond to every thread with "talk to your attorney" and leave it at that. That'll satisfy J_B (hint: it likely still wont) and this subforum will surely move at breakneck speeds with interaction and topics
YU-up.
All good cops know: You gotta nip this stuff in the bud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mj6B4DtNyM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals