Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM

89 posts, read 131,385 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of buying my first home*, have newly relocated and have few leads to a good, effective agent. I would think that effective means the one that leads you to your new home. But how does one judge among agents?

I ask as I've been through three agents in three months. One had neither the insider knowledge that I would anticipate nor the language skills to suggest she knew what she was doing. The second one was very part time and apparently doesn't know how to use MLS very well in that I keep finding the listings that will fit a particular piece of furniture, and supposedly she hasn't found one yet. The third and current one can't seem to exhibit an understanding of what I want in a home and where I want it (it is nearby but 1-2 towns over from her typical "farm"); I also note that her time frame/pace doesn't seem to mesh with mine. I fell into the first two and interviewed the third. Yes, I've been to open houses but so far haven't run into the kind of agent with whom I think I can work well. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

* It is my first home but I am pretty savvy on the entire process having spent 20+ years in the financial services business, including time on the REO side, have done a lot of reading and selt-education and even took the licensing class in another state. And I go to open houses every weekend...as much to look at the house, speak with the agent as to rule in or out various neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 AM

58 posts, read 162,829 times
Have you looked for agents who have the CBR (Certified Buyer Representative) or ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative) designation? That may help?

As far as expecting the agent to help you rule in or out various neighborhoods, agents are SEVERELY restricted in what they can say because of fair housing laws. So if you are expecting an agent to tell you things like which neighborhoods or schools are "good" or whether there are a lot of children in a neighborhood or things like that, we just can't. Not without risking jail time or big fines.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM

11,842 posts, read 34,490,399 times
Where are you looking to buy? Maybe someone here knows someone there?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,016,605 times
You might also have to realize that inventory is very limited right now. Finding your perfect home in your ideal neighborhood that fits a particular piece of furniture might be really difficult so they are perhaps giving you other options.

Keep talking to agents until you find one you get along with and feel listens to you. But also listen to them when they discuss your options and what is available.

I have a client that refuses to look at a version of MLS because "it doesn't have anything she wants" so she send me 20 listings at a time from other web sites. I do the research and see they are all pending, sold, or cash only purchases. Alas, she thinks I don't have time for her and she has moved on. I am OK with that.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM

15,599 posts, read 40,516,832 times
I think you should start by looking at photos online of homes. So look at homes that are in a similar price range to yours and start looking at the quality of the photos taken. Agents that actually take the time to properly market homes are generally going to be the better agents. Not always, from an ethical standpoint, but generally speaking. Once you have a few names, Google the agent and see if they have a blog, FB page, Twitter, read what they have to say. See if their personality seems like a good fit. Read online reviews.

One you do that you will have a couple of names. Then interview them. Tell them what you are looking for and see if they are the right agent for you.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM

10,994 posts, read 22,028,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think you should start by looking at photos online of homes. So look at homes that are in a similar price range to yours and start looking at the quality of the photos taken. Agents that actually take the time to properly market homes are generally going to be the better agents. Not always, from an ethical standpoint, but generally speaking. Once you have a few names, Google the agent and see if they have a blog, FB page, Twitter, read what they have to say. See if their personality seems like a good fit. Read online reviews.

One you do that you will have a couple of names. Then interview them. Tell them what you are looking for and see if they are the right agent for you.
Solid advice. I don't care about designations and such...those are just NAR money pits that they charge annually to renew so don't put much stock in the alphabet soup following the name. Find someone with a good business stream so they aren't depending on you to make their next mortgage payment. Interview multiple agents.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM

89 posts, read 131,385 times
Default Finding a good agent/realtor

Thanks for the ideas. I am in a very tight market, northern Virginia, but am still puzzled why the agents I've contacted don't seem to listen or react very quickly. I have a healthy budget, and am flexible as to location. I do have some criteria, and yes, one of those criteria is fitting a particular piece of furniture, which for several reasons, I cannot part with.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipGrl View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I am in a very tight market, northern Virginia, but am still puzzled why the agents I've contacted don't seem to listen or react very quickly. I have a healthy budget, and am flexible as to location. I do have some criteria, and yes, one of those criteria is fitting a particular piece of furniture, which for several reasons, I cannot part with.
I had a buyer that had to have a wall for grandma's hutch. You aren't the only one.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,899,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I had a buyer that had to have a wall for grandma's hutch. You aren't the only one.
out of town buyers had walls of paintings that needed to find homes, made things interesting to say the least

TulipGrl, no coworkers/friends that can offer a recommendation? I find that a referral in that manner goes much further than pounding the internet pavement in hopes of finding one

Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
out of town buyers had walls of paintings that needed to find homes, made things interesting to say the least

That is so hard especially if they have several really large pieces of art.

TulipGrl, I second 2B's suggestion that if you tells us where you are, we can see if anyone on the forum can give you some names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals