Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking real estate advice on selling double wide mobile home, how to make home more presentable, where to move excess boxes, two bedroom mobile home

Old 01-27-2008, 12:50 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of state, and I have my place up for sale. It's an older doublewide mobile home, one of very few in the county that doesn't have to be moved. [There are a lot of singlewides for free for the moving, ditto for doublewides, but there are a limited number of parks that will take them, so they are usually scrapped out.] So I have the advantage of mine being set up and not having to be moved. Even though it's older, it has a lot of upgrades and it's financeable. It's small, it's a two bedroom, and perfect for a retired couple or a small family. It's a good park.

The problem is that last year we had all our stuff in storage in Alaska shipped here, so I have about 4-5,000 lbs of stuff in boxes. Now that I'm getting ready to move, I have still more boxes of stuff packed and stacked. The one agent who came over, the only one I actually know and trust, said I'd have to empty it so people could see what it looked like with furniture, that people these days have no imagination. If I empty it, they'd see one bed, one couch, one computer desk, a dog, and a bird! Besides, if I moved everything to a storage unit, there's enough so that it would cost me more than I'd make on the sale. And every day there are more boxes filled.

We bought the place as a fixer-upper for a pittance, and we put a lot into fixing it up, both work and $$. It's got a third more in it than it's valued for the tax rolls. I've already cut the price radically, and I'm willing to cut it even more just to sell it rather than walk away with nothing - which I will do, if necessary. In the meantime, it looks like a warehouse with boxes stacked up here, there, everywhere. I have it listed myself as a fsbo, but everyone who's called so far says 'only 2 bedrooms? I thought it was a doublewide, we've got 3/4/5 kids' and that's the end of the conversation. It is, it's just a small one. But this is also an area where a lot of people retire to, so it's plenty big for a couple.

Any ideas, short of paying more for storage? I don't need a lot for it, I just want enough to cover the original purchase price and to not abandon it to the park. I'd really rather they didn't make a profit off of our work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post

I'd really rather they didn't make a profit off of our work.
Listen to the agent and get the boxes stored off property. In fact, seriously consider listing it with this agent to increase the exposure your home obtains.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,497 times
I agree with middle-aged mom.

You probably wouldn't buy a house unless you could see the rooms. Who knows what's behind - or under - so many boxes? Would you buy a car if the whole interior was filled with boxes? Maybe - but most folks want to see what they're buying. The home inspector, if any, also needs to be able to see things, because they only check what's visible.

It's already hard to sell a 2-bedroom doublewide. It's harder to sell one that's full of clutter. If I really wanted to sell your place in a reasonable amount of time and try to get the most $$$, I'd get rid of the boxes.

Do you know anyone who has a storage shed or garage where you might store some things temporarily? Or you might take a storage unit near your new place. Talk to the storage owners. Sometimes you can work a good deal if you agree to store for a certain minimum number of months.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but mobile homes on rental lots in parks are extremely difficult to sell. First off, they're personal property and not real property, so it's kind of like selling a car. Generally speaking, mobile homes depreciate just like cars do. The fact that you sunk quite a bit of money into fixing it up may help, but most people will just go to a dealership and buy a newer repo from the dealer.

Definitely the boxes stored in the house would be a big drawback. Can you move them to your new location and store them there? Maybe you might want to sell off some of the items in the boxes and just replace them when you get into your new place.

I'm afraid you'll have to be patient on getting your mobile sold. In my area there are lots of retirees, too. We had a really hot market 2003-2006; however the few mobiles in parks that have been for sale during that time have been on the market 4+ years, and most are nice and very reasonably priced. Of course, I have no idea what your local market is like, but you may want to make some contingency plans in case your mobile does not sell as quickly as you'd like.

Have you talked to a MH dealer to see if they might be willing to buy it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals