Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,254,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If it only were, we'd have less congestion, less pollution, lower taxes, lower water bills, uncrowded stable Wake County schools, less rudeness, and less price inflation caused by transplants not knowing what to pay for things here.
So, it would be like those dying areas in the Rust Belt where the population is declining steadily? Yeah, they're doing *really great*.

Quote:

If Raleigh were a little known oasis like when we came from New Orleans 21 years ago, it would be a great place for working people to live a decent life within their means.
Shut the door behind you, right? Now that you're safely ensconced in the best place to live in the country, you don't want anyone else to come here? Seems a little selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 PM

59 posts, read 152,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Shut the door behind you, right? Now that you're safely ensconced in the best place to live in the country, you don't want anyone else to come here? Seems a little selfish.
This seems to be a common reoccurring theme on this forum. I don't think the poster meant any offense to potential transplants. He was just making the observation that these sensational headlines have probably fueled an unsustainable influx of transplants that actually negate the very benefits that the surveys praise (short commute times, low cost of living, low unemployment, etc.)

Another theme I've noticed from reading this forum is people seemingly moving to the Triangle area for strictly financial reasons after reading these types of surveys. A large number of people reading a best of list in a magazine and moving to an area only because they can get a bigger house are not necessarily going to endear themselves to the existing community. Everything has a price and rapid growth can burdensome to all people involved.

I agree that we all share this world together and should be welcoming of all newcomers. I believe most people in general have good intentions. There are just certain mentalities and trends that I've noticed on this message board that I can understand Triangle residents being concerned with.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,327,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
So, it would be like those dying areas in the Rust Belt where the population is declining steadily? Yeah, they're doing *really great*.

You hit the nail on the head! And, it seems to be the mentality of those that moved here from somewhere else! This has been their sentiment for YEARS! I've seen and heard it for the last 30 years!!! It has always been a joke that the people relocating here want to "shut the door behind them"! This isn't new.

The economy has made it worse. Think of it this way...if you were unemployed and looking for work, would you want to say anything to encourage people to move here and be your competition for a job? Of course not.

The interesting thing is that I have had a few clients relocate here recently and all found jobs within a few months. Maybe they aren't as picky as some. A few of them got jobs with the state. One got a job as a manager of a grocery store and says they are still looking for more managers.

Or maybe it comes down to how well are you at SHARING? Maybe some people don't WANT to share the good life!

Vicki

Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,841 times
Default Avoid Saturnfan

So, I'm actually being relocated to Raleigh for a job. I've been unbelievably impressed with the people, the city, everything, especially after 30 years in NY which is more of what Saturnfan is describing.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2010 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the issue, not each other -- thanks.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 AM

633 posts, read 1,168,165 times
Just had to share...
This morning 5/27/10 on Channel 4 in NYC they featured this! Counted down the top 5 and then did a little speel on why Raleigh is the number one spot! Wish I taped it! lol. I bet other states/cities are showing this on their news too!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,271,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Just had to share...
This morning 5/27/10 on Channel 4 in NYC they featured this! Counted down the top 5 and then did a little speel on why Raleigh is the number one spot! Wish I taped it! lol. I bet other states/cities are showing this on their news too!
On the general US forum (or was it city-vs-city?), someone posted the link to the story and claimed that DC was tops in the poll. In his/her original post, it mentioned several other top cities but never even mentioned Raleigh. Someone quickly corrected him on his mistake. Then, he went on to explain how nobody in DC would want to live in Raleigh and that they aren't comparable. So, I dug up facts that show the county (outside of NC) that sends the most new residents to Wake is Fairfax, VA...which happens to be the most populated county in the DC MSA. He then pointed out that he was talking about "the city" not the burbs. Of course, people in these forums tend to want to use the facts and definitions most convenient at a very specific time to make their cases. The DC folks will always tell you about their millions and millions of residents that are actually either in VA or MD... but...dare you actually refer to those residents as a reference to your arguments.

The amazing thing to me is, despite the accolades that Raleigh gets, there still are plenty of people out there to whom Raleigh is invisible. So, take comfort that not everyone will rush to Raleigh despite its persistent presence at or near the top of all these polls.

On a similar note, I have to say that I like Raleigh more and more as it grows and matures. I like the fact that there are more options in living, more diversity in its population, more accesibility in transit, better dining and entertainment, etc. I remember when my family moved to Raleigh in 1974. It wasn't the good ole days to me. You couldn't drive to the beach on an Interstate...heck, you couldn't even leave Raleigh on an Interstate. The airport was a complete joke and the destinations it served were very limited. The entertainment options outside of country clubs were few. Downtown was slowly dying of abandonment. The Angus Barn was practically the only good restaurant in town. People smoked everywhere including the mall and the grocery store. Public school performance wasn't nearly as good as today. I wouldn't trade what Raleigh is today for 1974 at all. I also wouldn't shut off the progress it continues to make in order to freeze it in time now.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,773,151 times
I am from the DC area, and I can tell you without question I would NEVER live there again. Probably THE worst quality of life one could imagine - crime, traffic, stress, bad weather, high cost of living....this lists' credibility is completely out of the window.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM

66 posts, read 129,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I am from the DC area, and I can tell you without question I would NEVER live there again. Probably THE worst quality of life one could imagine - crime, traffic, stress, bad weather, high cost of living....this lists' credibility is completely out of the window.
Totally agree. It is the one place I would never live again. I would go back to NY before DC.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,549,884 times
I stay in Crystal City (DC) during the week. It's fun but Raleigh is a MUCH better 'home'.

The more people that move here the better to a point. Raleigh planners seem to be doing a great job of expanding roads and taking care of infrastructure as needed (reference 540 ring, Louisburg (401) expansion, etc.).

I like how we are 15 minutes from downtown Raleigh and 5 minutes from a rural strawberry picking farm on the NE side. It takes me 22 minutes to get to the airport - going the speed limit. Air quality is good and it's extremely quiet during the day and at night. Raleigh has lots of good things going for it that will only help push up our home values as it becomes more and more known as a good place to buy and raise a family. Which means the people that complain about it getting too big can just sell their homes, make a huge profit, and move to a smaller city somewhere else and buy with cash. Just don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM

920 posts, read 2,819,464 times
Quote:
The lemmings will now come, find no work, and march off into the cesspools to drown.

Can we sue these media outlets for impact fees to support the influx of fools?
Saturnfan, IIRC, you're from somewhere else, so where do you get off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary