Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

I can see both sides.

Because of the media's portrayal of the Raleigh area as the best place on the planet to live, people flock here. But it's not perfect and has plenty of its own problems. I don't see anything wrong with stating things as they are.

You don't have to worry about feeling welcome in the Triangle. You are welcome. Even saturnfan is a transplant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
I can understand some frustration with people who come here without the forethought to ensure they've secured employment first, but I have to admit that some of the posts make people like me feel very unwelcome. One has to wonder how long one has to live here before they have the right to resent 'newer' newcomers.

For the record, there ARE people out there, like my own family, who are considering this area because we also want a good life for our family. We wouldn't dream of moving to an area without a job first, we're responsible and friendly people who live within our means... but it seems like we wouldn't be welcome because we didn't get there first. (What a pity DH was too busy serving in the military to make a choice any earlier. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
pay no attention to the cranky people behind the curtains. FWIW they'll be on their computer complaining about newcomers when you are out and about enjoying all that the triangle has to offer ... WELCOME from another transplant!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
FINALLY! Some positive people!!! Anytime "I" say anything good, I am compared to a "Pollyana". Well, they do call me "Sunshine" at my office!!!

The reality is this...I have lived in NC for over 40 years and the Raleigh area has ALWAYS been growing since I moved here. And yes, the ones that complain the MOST are the ones that moved here from another state! They'd be happier if there was a fence around the area and they put a lock on it!

Interestingly enought, they don't understand that tax rates are higher in towns that have less population. They also don't understand that areas that don't grow, grow stagnant. I lived in a small town that isn't growing and when I go back "home", all I see are businesses that have died and closed.

So, if I have to live in an area of growth, it is better than an area of death!

Vicki

Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM

I'm not a complainer. I'm a transplant. And a realist.

Many people move back to their former homes once they're here. It's good to move here with your eyes wide open. It saves a lot of heartache and $$$ later.

I'm not moving back.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
As a Raleigh/Cary native (yes I know I am one of the few) I welcome people moving here.

To those that doubt my creds....I was born at Rex hospital, I remember when cary town center was just cary village mall, I remember the 4 leaf clover in downtown cary, I remember when there was still a farmhouse on Kildaire Farm Rd.

I take pride in knowing that the city I am from is one of the best places to live in the US.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
As a Raleigh/Cary native (yes I know I am one of the few) I welcome people moving here.

To those that doubt my creds....I was born at Rex hospital, I remember when cary town center was just cary village mall, I remember the 4 leaf clover in downtown cary, I remember when there was still a farmhouse on Kildaire Farm Rd.

I take pride in knowing that the city I am from is one of the best places to live in the US.
Great point...many of us are PROUD that this area keeps making those lists.

Granted, I don't read the article, just the headline! I just love living here and I find it somewhat amazing that those that feel that there are too many moving here don't feel the same way. I guess I have gotten used to the many people moving here, since it has been that way since I moved here in the '70s!

Vicki

Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Even saturnfan is a transplant.
Yes he is.

Mike

Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM

I think any real estate agent is happy when people are moving into homes!

I am happy when companies move in and when new people move into our neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Great point...many of us are PROUD that this area keeps making those lists.

Granted, I don't read the article, just the headline! I just love living here and I find it somewhat amazing that those that feel that there are too many moving here don't feel the same way. I guess I have gotten used to the many people moving here, since it has been that way since I moved here in the '70s!

Vicki

Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I think any real estate agent is happy when people are moving into homes!

I am happy when companies move in and when new people move into our neighborhood.
Why would you say something like that? I don't help EVERY person moving to this area so how does it benefit ME? I say, with pride, that I love this area and I am proud that others love it, as well.

Vicki

Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 PM

238 posts, read 668,961 times
Quote:
I'm not a complainer. I'm a transplant. And a realist.

Many people move back to their former homes once they're here. It's good to move here with your eyes wide open. It saves a lot of heartache and $$$ later.

I'm not moving back.
Many people also move here and stay. This area may not be perfect but try living in some of the other cities on the east coast for a few years and you'll see why so many people relocate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary