Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM

10,738 posts, read 22,931,848 times

Advertisements

Finally got ours today! Yay, we aren't being ignored!

Hang in there; there must be an odd schedule for mailing them out, since a neighbor two blocks down got hers weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 24,205 times
This Census was the first time that workers used hand held computers for mapping housing addresses. (I did some mapping for the 2000 Census the traditional way, pencil and paper.) I was told by one person that used this device, sometimes the transmitting of information didn't quite hit the satellites correctly, making the Census Questionnaire address labels incorrect. (It’s vital that the verification of all actual locations be valid before sending workers out. Those who canvas use many special maps to help hasten their jobs.) The labels do not have the occupant's name on them. I myself, a Census Enumerator, have had some addresses showing the building numbers, street names and the wrong towns/cities as incorrect. That's the good thing about working in your own neighborhood, you know these upon first glance.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,189,860 times
Ours never did come in the mail, but a worker showed up yesterday.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 AM

126 posts, read 315,457 times
You can have one of mine - even though I filled it out when the first one showed up - I have gotten three more in the mail. Our tax dollars hard at work again...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM

804 posts, read 2,012,301 times
i know that the census workers have started rounds door-to-door because i know somebody that took the job as a lark. whether that was the first day or just her first day, i don't know.

who knew that NC would be one of the ones with an increased percentage of those returning their forms? hopefully the results will show the need for various increases based on the crazy growth here.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM

18 posts, read 24,205 times
About forms, I'll try again. I mentioned the reason many did not get Census forms in the mail or duplications sent is that the concept of using the new hand new held computers which made errors, didn't work. Those that were misaddressed, not received in either direction, had to be placed in the next Census step of personal visits for the information. There is a whole bunch of cross referencing going on for verification, so you just may get another follow up to make sure that the information reported is correct, not duplicated and not imagined by a worker.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM

13,016 posts, read 19,021,563 times
A woman I know got hired as a temporary census worker for three months. So I would expect a visit by the end of July. Hiring of temporary census workers is putting a few people to work, but not enough to measurably reduce the unemployment rate.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,745,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101159 View Post
You can have one of mine - even though I filled it out when the first one showed up - I have gotten three more in the mail. Our tax dollars hard at work again...
+1, plus a visit telling us it's urgent to call them back. And we even verified they got our initial response and that everything was fine. Great, now tell your employees the same thing and stop bugging us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary