Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,166,910 times

Advertisements

so i got a crappy loaner car the other day while my car was getting some work done. i found it really hard to maintain a constant speed, and there's no cruise control. i got pulled over doing 80 in 65 on rt 1. the trooper was a nice guy (said i was actually doing 83 which is completely possible, but knocked it down). he said he made a note about me having just picked up a loaner and lack of cc. i did get pulled over last summer in the middle of nowhere VA doing 67 in a 55 (coming off a 70mph road), and i couldnt afford to go fight it. other than that i havent gotten a ticket the whole time i lived in MA (since 2000). i understand i have 2 good options... trying to get them to knock it down to 9 over, or getting a prayer for judgment. what are the benefits and likelihood of each, and are there any other options or recommendations? i dont really have any desire to get an attorney unless he's gonna get the court costs waived, because it's 130 for those (and those always have to be paid down here, i guess) and 30 for the ticket. i've never done this before and only have been in NC for 10 months, so i'm kind of in the dark.

thanks!

Also, i just put two and two together, and that chatham county courthouse is where i believe i am supposed to have my court date in early may. wonder what thats gonna do for it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
T|K

892 posts, read 2,501,616 times
I could contact a lawyer personally and let them handle it. They will charge around 250-300 total and you won't even have to go to court, if you do it youself it is time off work/time to go sit around and about 150 bucks. Never just pay a speeding ticket, it will make your insurance go up so much. If you do it yourself though and you have a clean record it is not hard to get it reduced some, but a lawyer can make it probably disapear even more. Some insurance will rise for multiple tickets even if they are only 9 over or less.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM

792 posts, read 4,496,562 times
I think PFJ should be your first choice, and getting it dropped to 9 over would be your second choice. The fact that you were driving a loaner car won't be relevant at all. I would wait for the attorney solicitations to show up in the mail and then start calling them and seeing what they think the chances are for the PFJ in Chatham county. They will offer a free consultation, even if you don't end up using their services. Then, with the advice you get, make your own decision on what option to pursue and show up in court that day. If you can't get the option you want that day by representing yourself, then ask for a continuance and hire an attorney to handle it.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,094,606 times
With a clean record (which it looks like you don't have) getting the nine over reduction used to be fairly routine. Remember that just because you avoid insurance points it does not mean that you won't forfeit any "safe driver" insurance discounts you may now enjoy. A good independent agent can provide guidance on the financial impact.
My agent, whom I trust, usually advises an attorney. It's their sandbox you're now playing in.

I assume you have an alibi for your whereabouts yesterday around 4PM?

Frank

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,166,910 times
thanks for the advice guys.
and yes, sadly i was at work at 4pm yesterday, though i would've much rather been playing outside.
im wondering if this is going to get delayed because of the fire creating a backlog in cases, and if it will get moved to a new location.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
T|K

892 posts, read 2,501,616 times
Using a PJC (prayer for judgement continuance), I believe, if you get another ticket in those 3 years both will then show you up and your insurance will go up (I believe, contact a lawyer for details though). I would not use one on a minor speeding ticket unless I had to.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 73,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Using a PJC (prayer for judgement continuance), I believe, if you get another ticket in those 3 years both will then show you up and your insurance will go up (I believe, contact a lawyer for details though). I would not use one on a minor speeding ticket unless I had to.
Yes, that is true. And remember the pjc is for the household, so if anyone else in your house get a ticket, in comes your old mistake.

As mentioned earlier, i would get an attorney. If you do not want to do that, go to the courthouse on your court date and talk to the ADA. My friend got hers reduced that way. I took a pjc for my ticket (i really did not have to say anything - the judge told me i'm getting a pjc, and i shook my head )

Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,510,185 times
Speaking as someone that has had a few speeding tickets in my life, all of which I have taken care of without the use of an attorney.

My first suggestion would be to go in and speak with the asistant DA. Ask if there is anything they can do for you and USUALLY they will reduce it to 9mph over which means no points on your insurance. If they do not grant you the reduction in speed, ask for a continuance to buy yourself some more time.

Suggestion #2 would be to ask for a prayer for judgement. The one hitch with this is that it is up to the judge on weather or not they want to grant it. Also be advised some NC Judges will only grant a PFJ if you agree to do community service. I have heard that some judges will make you do 1 hr for every mph you are over.

Suggestion #3 would be to contact an attorney. Like others have said an attorney is going to cost you some money, but in all likelyhood you won't have to go to court.

Good Luck and keep the pedal off the metal

Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 PM

360 posts, read 997,600 times
is it just me, or does anybody else feel like the counties are using speeding fines to make up for losses in other revenue?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:30 PM

133 posts, read 394,260 times
Or maybe you could just learn from this experience and SLOW DOWN! Why should the courts cut you any break at all? You said it yourself that you know you were driving at least 80. Guilty as charged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary