Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM

286 posts, read 994,426 times

Advertisements

I just got my first ever speeding ticket and unfortunately it was a big one because I was in a school zone. A couple days later my mailbox was flooded with solicitation letters from lawyers. I was shocked. Isn't that a violation of my rights for wake county to be distributing my legal records like that?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 PM

104 posts, read 377,229 times
No, they are public record so they can scan that info and spam you. Sorry for the bad news.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM

531 posts, read 1,983,004 times
I don't think the county is overtly distributing your records...rather every violation of the law is a matter of public record. The lawyers are looking at those records for themselves. Kinda makes you wonder how good they are at lawyering if they have all that time to browse the police log....

Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Wake County isn't distributing your legal records.

The fact that you got a speeding ticket is on the public information. Lawyers pay people to go to the courthouse and get this information so that they can solicit you.

The same thing happens when you buy a house. It is public record. Many companies, like fencing companies, pay someone to get the information from pubic records and give them the mailing list. They then solicit your business.

Back to the speeding ticket...I got my first a month or so ago. I learned that if you just go to court and pay the ticket and the fine, it could cause your insurance to go up in price. The better way is to pay an attorney to have your ticket changed to a lesser charge so that it doesn't go against your insurance.

Attorney got my charges thrown out. Seems wrong, somehow but no points against my license and no raise in insurance.

Vicki

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM

137 posts, read 656,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Attorney got my charges thrown out. Seems wrong, somehow but no points against my license and no raise in insurance.

Vicki
Same thing happened to me. OP you may want to consult an Attorney since you were in a school zone. Because this was your first, I would not lose any sleep over it. The worst thing, in my opinion, is going to the court house and waiting in the court room, you will see one of every kind there.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:12 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
You can actually go online and look this information up. It's not that difficult at all.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,364 times
Okay what am I missing here? I am from California so I am sure that the laws are different. But in California, you get a ticket, you to go traffic school, no points, no rate increase in your insurance. If you get another ticket within 18 months of that first ticket, you pay a fine, your insurance goes up. I have never heard of having to hire an attorney. If you speed, how do you get the ticket reduced or even erased? Sorry, I dont get it.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM

31 posts, read 103,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
Okay what am I missing here? I am from California so I am sure that the laws are different. But in California, you get a ticket, you to go traffic school, no points, no rate increase in your insurance. If you get another ticket within 18 months of that first ticket, you pay a fine, your insurance goes up. I have never heard of having to hire an attorney. If you speed, how do you get the ticket reduced or even erased? Sorry, I dont get it.
If it's a 1st ticket or you haven't had 1 in a few years you should be able to just go to court & get the ticket reduced to 9 over. That way your insurance shouldn't go up, but you may still want to check with your insurance company.

I'm not sure if they'll reduce the ticket for speeding in a school zone though. You may want an attorney for that.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
Here is the way it works. If you get a speeding ticket and you go to the court house and pay the fine you have plead guilty to the charge. The insurance company will pick up on this and add point to your insurance along with points on your drivers lisence. The points on your insurance will increase you premium. The best thing to do is find an attorney and have him try to have the speeding dropped and changed to improper equipment which carries no points. It may cost you $300.00- $400.00 but it is well worth it in the long run. The attorneys have "relashionships" with the DA's. They change it to lesser charges, you pay the fine, they dont have to deal with all the paper work if you go to court. By the way if there is any way around it do not go for "prayer for judgment" what it dose is it showes no speeding ticket BUT if you get another ticket in a certain period of time you will be hit with both tickets which will really add points.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,364 times
Is there no traffic school in NC?

Thanks for the explanation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary