Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,538,637 times

Advertisements

For the experts.........

I got a citation for going 64 in a 55. From what I've read I will not get hit with any insurance points as I have no prior record or points. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM

892 posts, read 3,165,918 times
Nine over should not affect your insurance. Depending on where you got the ticket, you might could get it reduced further avoiding all costs but court costs.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 AM

770 posts, read 2,757,624 times
I seem to recall that speeding in excess of 55 mph carries 2 license points and 2 insurance points.
This has been subject of discussion in the past - if you do a search i'm sure you will find much more info

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,886,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I got a citation for going 64 in a 55. From what I've read I will not get hit with any insurance points as I have no prior record or points. Is this correct?
Sorry - can't answer your question - but where did you get a ticket for 9 over? I would have thought they'd let you off with just a warning for 9 over.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,201,748 times
Sounds like someone needed to fill a quota. Usually 5+ is fine and -10 gets a warning unless you irritate the officer.

Was it a speed trap like Millbrook Rd between Falls & Six Forks?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 AM

381 posts, read 1,327,238 times
Default Ticket

I'm guessing the officer actually clocked you at a higher speed and broke it down to 9 over to be nice as opposed to what the prior poster said.

Anyway, since you have a clean record for the past three years, 64/55 will give you 0 ins points and a couple of license points. The license points only matter if you are renewing your license w/in three years.

However, the fact you get 0 ins points does not necessarily mean your ins rates will not increase. The ins co can decide to put you in something called the reinsurance facility. This is, essentially, a "high-risk" catagorization and will raise your base liability rate by 40%.

If you do get assigned to the reinsurance facility, you can simply switch insurance carriers, and your rates will go back down. This is b/c you don't have points to follow you, and the decision to put you in the reinsurance facility is a carrier-by-carrier decision. A new carrier not put you in b/c they want you get your business w/lower rates.

Also, note that even though this one is, essentially, a free pass; if you get another conviction for anything over 55 w/in 1 year of your conviction date on this one, your license will actually be suspended. Strange little rule that lots of folks don't know about (two convictions in excess of 55 w/in 1 yr of each other revokes your license).

So, be really careful for the next year.

fwiw,
Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary