Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 09:23 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,804 times

Advertisements

Ok, I loved, loved, loved hanging out at Weaver Street Market when we visited last summer. There was outdoor music and the people watching was great. I loved the diversity of the crowd and the range of "normal" to "freaky-dink". Totally my scene.

However, every time I read about Carrboro and things to do there, all people say is "Weaver Street Market". While I loved it, honestly, I imagine it would get old after a while, or at least there would be a need for other types of fun. What else, really, is going on in Carrboro outside of Weaver Street Market (and for people over 30 that don't want to sit on a bar stool drinking and flirting all night)?

Hoping you give me something cuz I thought Carrboro was neat on first impression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
What are you interested in doing?

There's Cats Cradle; the farmer's market; the "Really Free Market;" a couple of coffee shops for hanging out in; some decent restaurants; and a very nice used bookstore, to name a few options. And you don't have to stop at the city limits. There's stuff in Chapel Hill too.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
I've found that there are so many things to do it is hard to decide. And if it's not in Carrboro or Chapel Hill, it definitely is close by and not a major trek to find something you really like. Lots of groups with different interests and things for families to do which don't cost money. and we've been to Weaver Street Market only once in 9 months.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times
Biking in and around Carrboro and Chapel Hill is very good if that's your thing.

If you don't mind getting in a car, Hillsborough, Durham and Pittsboro are all close by offering various things to do. Raleigh and Cary are not much further.

The beach and mountains are further but doable as long day trips or easy overnight trips.

If you need a fix of more urban hype, as I occasionally do, New York, Miami and Washington are all a short and usually inexpensive flight away.

About Weaver Street - I am a member/owner, but I only go there if I'm meeting someone for coffee/lunch or else to buy bulk goods. I don't mind the scene there, but it's not the center of the world.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Activities I would enjoy:
... biking would be great (need trails though, can't bike on roads - saw many in Cary, not in Carrboro)
... hiking nature trails
... Go Carts, Paintball, rock climbing
... Is there a lake nearby suitable for water sports?
... open mic nights (poetry and music/guitar)
... lectures on whatever
... (activities for the kids - gymnastics, music lessons, library hour, etc)

LOL on "beach, mountains, New York, Miami, Washington" etc. I appreciate your sentiment, but living in New York now, I can tell you I've never considered happenings down in NC as a perk of living in New York. I'm pretty sure NY will be a distant bleep once we move down there (except for visiting family twice per year). It's interesting that some people have a wider range than others - for me, if it takes more than 45 minutes to get there, it's out of my zone. That doesn't mean I won't go, but it means going is a big deal. So I was really thinking/ asking about "to do's" within 30 minute radius (or so) around Carrboro. Did I say I hate driving longer than that

Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,677 times
it's near chapel hill...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 AM

305 posts, read 768,429 times
First off, although it pisses off the Carrboro-ites, Carrboro and Chapel Hill are practically the same town. They share a school system and free bus system although they have separate town governments, so don't just limit your search for activities to Carrboro!

There are paved bike paths in both Carrboro and Chapel Hill. The town of Chapel Hill website (Town of Chapel Hill : Home) and the town of Carrboro website (Town of Carrboro, NC - Official Web Site) should have links to maps of the greenways under their parks and recreation departments. Chapel Hill has a paved greenway along Bolin Creek from the Community Center Park to MLK/Airport Rd. Carrboro is developing an official greenway along Bolin Creek in their town limits. There is a large network of trails and mountain bike trails in the forest there now. There is a controversy right now about whether they will pave the official greenway or not. There are at least a couple of other paved bike paths that I know of in Carrboro, too.

The NC Botanical Garden has a fairly extensive trail system (as well as the trails along Bolin Creek).

Jordan Lake is a very large manmade lake suitable for water sports and fishing.

Lots of Open Mike nights and tons of music every night of the week.

More lectures than you can shake a stick at.

Plenty of kids activities.

I'm not into Go Carts and Paint Ball. Those aren't very Chapel Hill/Carrboro activities it seems, but I'm pretty sure Durham has those activities.

If you want serious rock climbing you'd want to go to the mountains. Tons and tons and tons of rock climbing there. There are several places, including the Chapel Hill community center, that have indoor rock walls in the area and several smaller areas where you could rock climb. The NC mountains are such a rock climbing mecca for the area, though, that anyone who is really into that sport is going to head there.

People in our area do regularly go to the beach and the mountains a couple of times a year. they're just 3-4 hrs away. I'm sure some folks go to DC or NY, but that's less of a regular occurrence.

hth

Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 AM

panchodog, awesome reply. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure that, once I was bored with Weaver Street market, I would have other things to do. Clearly, I will!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM

51 posts, read 230,425 times
There are lots of free or inexpensive things going on in Carrboro, Chapel Hill or within a few minute drive.
Friday nights you can go to free improv show at DSI Comedy Theater: dsicomedytheater.com
You can learn contra dancing at the Carrboro's Century Center: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Q8H9oLXH0
They also have swing and other dances depending on the week. Sounds kinda cheesy, but actually looks pretty fun.

The first Sunday night of every month is a free community yoga class in Chapel Hill: CommunityClasses
Sign up for Forty Acres mailing list to see some great bands perform house/small shows: About Us
Chapel Hill's community center has an indoor rock climbing wall that a lot of people I know love. You can rent shoes and harnesses.
Do a show at the Planetarium or one of the free sky watching sessions: Morehead Planetarium and Science Center :: Skywatching Sessions
It isn't the season for it right now, but Southern Village in Chapel Hill has cheap movies and free music on their green: Southern Village Market Street Movies & Music
Chapel Hill also does free movie nights downtown: Town of Chapel Hill : FREE Outdoor Movie Schedule
There are a few dog parks in the area that are great for socializing.
There are bars and coffee shops with pool/foosball tables. Open Eye has bands and free movies: Open Eye Café
Many of the local bars have trivia nights. There are a bunch of local thrift stores that are fun to poke through, especially if you are looking for cheap used books.
Goldenbelt in Durham hosts Third Friday, as well as other art events: Golden Belt--Events, Art Exhibitions, Third Fridays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary