Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 61,468 times

Advertisements

Greetings Siciblueyes,
Welcome to Cary, it is a really great place for a family. I'd recommend your husband look in the Weston Estates neighboorhood also. A bit higher end homes, MUCH better construction for the same dollar. Slightly larger subdivision, so your not quite so boxed into the select neighbors. This is where we ended up buying and so happy that we did.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 12:00 PM

21 posts, read 36,191 times
Thank you sbsmothjax-

I visited Weston area and liked it. It was first development we saw and my husband is at MetLife. There is not much inventory left in Weesex/Weston, and I am starting my search after the buying season.

The house in highland oaks is a rental. I know buying is smarter investment, but I really can't get a feel for the area and where we would be happy until I am there for at least 6mo --- no matter how many people I talk to or research I do. The internet is wonderful for information, especially with the negative reviews...but all the reviews on home builders, schools, flight paths, power lines, traffic, and then the more surface reviews of general neighborhood attitudes, it is really had to dissect the importance of these factors from far away. This forum has done wonders for giving us a foundation to build upon though.
What's amazing is my husband spends 3/5 days a week there for the past 5 months, and all he can tell me is that his flight home to JFK is delayed every week.

Thank you.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:38 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciblueyes View Post
The house in highland oaks is a rental. I know buying is smarter investment, but I really can't get a feel for the area and where we would be happy until I am there for at least 6mo ---
Very smart! I think that renting for a year is a good move. After six months, if you know your target area, then start shopping for a house. (I rented for about 18 months before buying, and I think it's a good investment. Cheaper than having to move twice, and you can always pay a small penalty to get out of your lease if the PERFECT house comes up early.)

Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciblueyes View Post
Thank you sbsmothjax-

I visited Weston area and liked it. It was first development we saw and my husband is at MetLife. There is not much inventory left in Weesex/Weston, and I am starting my search after the buying season.

The house in highland oaks is a rental. I know buying is smarter investment, but I really can't get a feel for the area and where we would be happy until I am there for at least 6mo --- no matter how many people I talk to or research I do. The internet is wonderful for information, especially with the negative reviews...but all the reviews on home builders, schools, flight paths, power lines, traffic, and then the more surface reviews of general neighborhood attitudes, it is really had to dissect the importance of these factors from far away. This forum has done wonders for giving us a foundation to build upon though.
What's amazing is my husband spends 3/5 days a week there for the past 5 months, and all he can tell me is that his flight home to JFK is delayed every week.

Thank you.
Highland Oaks isn't a neighborhood I'd want to buy in, but it's a great location for a rental. You should be able to scope out the area pretty well while your husband has an easy commute.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,048 times
Hi there, this is Lana, and I am back to this forum after a few months - we just moved to Cary and we chose Cary Park development. We did look at Highland Oaks and we loved the location, but the quality of houses is so much better in Cary Park (love John Weiland built houses )!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaKR View Post
Hi there, this is Lana, and I am back to this forum after a few months - we just moved to Cary and we chose Cary Park development. We did look at Highland Oaks and we loved the location, but the quality of houses is so much better in Cary Park (love John Weiland built houses )!
John Wieland is indeed superior to Pulte.

Glad you're enjoying your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary