Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times

Advertisements

As a public service to those who may be considering moving to the area, below is an explanation of terms that newcomers often get confused. (It becomes more confusing when local TV broadcasters get it wrong, too.)

1. The Triangle - This term defines Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, and the surrounding small towns. It is so named because Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill form a triangle.

2. RTP - This stands for Research Triangle Park. It is basically a very large business park with its own zip code and is centrally located in the Triangle.

When you say "RTP," do not say "the" RTP. Their website (rtp.org) refers to it as "The Research Triangle Park," but no one ever says "the RTP." It's just "RTP."

3. RDU - This is the airport. It is also centrally located and is near RTP. It stands for Raleigh/Durham, but do not refer to the Triangle as "RDU." If you do say "RDU, people will think you're talking only about the airport.

4. Raleigh/Durham - This is a pretty much useless term that only people from outside of the area use. The centers of each city are about 30 minutes from each other. But each city has its own separate government, school system, and culture. If you are talking about the area, use the term, "the Triangle."

5. Colleges:

UNC - When people say "UNC," they mean UNC (University of North Carolina) at Chapel Hill.

State - When people say "State," they mean North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

Duke - They mean Duke, of course, in Durham.

Central - They mean North Carolina Central University (NCCU) in Durham.

6. Tar Heels - This is a term for all citizens of North Carolina and is also the nickname for Chapel Hill athletic teams. A bighorn ram is their mascot. The main theme color is "Carolina Blue," a medium bright blue.

7. Wolfpack - This is the nickname for NC State athletic teams. A wolf is the university mascot. The main theme color is deep red.

8. Blue Devils - This is the nickname for Duke athletic teams. A blue devil is the university mascot. The main theme color is a deep royal blue.

9. Eagles - The nickname for Central (NCCU's) athletic teams. An eagle is their mascot. The main theme color is maroon.

10. The Beach - We don't call it the "shore." The "beach" can be any spot along the coast, including Wilmington, Atlantic Beach, or the Outer Banks (Nag's Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.). Generally, though, in the Triangle, when you say "the beach," people are usually talking about the Wilmington or Atlantic Beach areas. If you're going to the Outer Banks, say, "Outer Banks."

11. 440 - This is the original beltline that circles Raleigh. Do not say "the 440." It's just "440" or "the beltline." When people say "Inside the beltline," they mean the 440 beltline.

12. 540 - This beltline is newer and can be considered the "outer" beltline. It does not yet circle the entire Raleigh area. Do not say "the 540." It's just "540" or "the outer beltline."

Note: The original beltline (440) used to be referred to as the "inner beltline" and "outer beltline," depending upon which direction you were going. Those terms have been changed in an effort to make them easier to understand. Here is a TV story about it: Inner? Outer? Beltline confusion ends soon :: WRAL.com

13. Bonus fact: Wake Forest University is not in the town of Wake Forest. It moved in 1956 to Winston-Salem. The Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary is now located in the university's old location in Wake forest.

14. Survival tips:

• Do not say "we did it better up North" (or wherever you came from). However, feel free to make this a better place. Just don't complain about it. Choose your words carefully.
  • Do not ever say you are afraid your children will get a Southern accent. That is quite rude. Triangle Southern accents, if you can find them at all, are soft and lilting.
  • Street names are sometimes confusing. You'll find some street names and area names on MapQuest that haven't been used in years.

There are a few instances of streets with the same name being a few blocks away from each other.

Keep in mind you need to be specific in street names: For example, New Hope Road is not the same as New Hope Church Road in Raleigh. And there are multiple "New Hope Church Roads" in the Triangle.
  • Do not complain about a lack of things to do. This is a vibrant area with lots of things to do, including sports, plays, concerts, festivals, and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you just need to look a little harder than what you're used to.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-22-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,482 times
When you wear blue clothing, be prepared for people to interpret your clothing selection as a statement of support for one of the local college sports teams (depending on the shade). When this happens, just say something like "Yeah, that last game was a killer" or "Just wait 'till next season."

Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Great job, lovesbrentwood! Especially for someone who is a transplant herself! I have issue with just one thing:

Quote:
Triangle Southern accents, if you can find them at all,
You may live a particulalry insular life where you're around mostly Northerners, but at least half if not slightly more than half of the people I personally encounter at work and in several volunteer groups have Southern accents. I would have left off the "if you can find them at all" part, which is definitely a "Your Mileage May Vary" thing.

The truest line in everything she posted is this:

Quote:
Do not say "we did it better up North" (or wherever you came from).
, and it's not merely stating the literal expression "we did it better where I come from", rather the implication of such. Going to ANY new place and promptly complaining that they do things differently (meaning "better") than you're used to is crass and tacky. Would you go to England and say "Why do they drive on the left side of the road, instead of the right, like we do where I come from?" Maybe you would, but it's inadvisable. Saying that here will almost certainly produce a response along the lines of "Well, feel free to go back there" or "I'll help you pack". Wouldn't you have said the same thing to someone who moved to your home town with a similar attitude? It's one thing to say "Gosh, I wish I could find [some type of regional food] here"; another to whine that "Whaddaya mean, you don't have [regional food]! What kinda backwoods place is this!"

Speaking of food, lovesbrentwood left off a couple of things:

-if you order "tea", you will almost certainly get iced tea, not hot tea; say "hot tea" if that's what you want. And though most places will now ask, you might end up getting sweet tea (sugar added) by default instead of unsweetened, if you don't specify, so be mindful.

-"Barbecue" is a noun, not a verb. And there is a war between Eastern and Western NC as to which is better. The Triangle is definitely EASTERN!

And some others:

DON'T necessary be offended if you're from the North and someone calls you a "Yankee". Most of the time, it is simply a descriptor, not an insult (you can tell by tone of voice if it's meant to be an insult--if so, it's really referring to certain stereotypical behaviors--such as saying "We did it better up North"--not geographic origin). You can call them a "Rebel" if it makes you feel better, and they might get the point that you don't like it.

If you're from NYC, note that we don't stand "on line" here, we stand "in line".

A knit ski cap is known as a "tobaggan" in these parts. Yes, we know that means a sled where you come from. So you get one free giggle thinking we are talking about wearing a sled on your head, but after that, don't forget that it just means a knit cap.

When it snows and the town shuts down over 2", don't go on and on about what idiots the locals are. We don't have the snow-clearing equipment you're used to (if you're from the North) and we grew up just waiting a couple of days for it to melt. Anyway, isn't a lot of snow one of the very things you came here to get away from?? Enjoy the day off and chill out.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,612 times
They have a better survival guide in the New York section.

Sorry couldn't resist, good job

Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Best. Thread. Ever.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
I wish you posted this about 3 years ago when I think I said, "I think we want to move to RTP!" LOL... yes everything is true that you wrote.. good job.

And my niece was born and raised here and she has no inkling of a southern accent. I think the general rule is that your kids will speak the accent that you speak.... not that there's anything wrong with a southern accent. I like hearing all types of accents when I'm out and about.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
I have met plenty of people in the Triangle who were born here, and they have no discernible Southern accent. There are plenty of natives, but they all don't necessarily have what may be considered a traditional Southern accent.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-22-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
This reminds me...a while back one of our posters started a thread about "questions about the Triangle that I can't seem to find the answers to". We all added to it but I thought it would be fun to add it to this thread for the newbies that haven't seen it. For those of you that remember it, I'm sure you'll laugh again as you read it! Enjoy!

Can you tell me which city is best, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, or Istanbul?

Which ISP in the Triangle has the lowest per-minute rate for email?

Does Wake County even bother to consider the separation anxiety put upon pet turtles when considering the year-round school schedules?

How does the Triangle compare to Shanghai? and to Florence, Italy during the Renaissance years?

I have heard about a site on the information superhighway called Wake dot Guv. Can you tell me if this is closer to 440 or 540, and what's the fastest way to get there?

My network of prosthetic-leg-wearing transgender exiles from subterranean guano pits is looking for a nice restaurant to have our monthly affirmation rallies and Sanskrit writing practice. The group is largely herbivore, carnivore, and omnivore. We need a place that will allow us to have a bonfire inside, and our friends from TBA (Transsexual Bagpipers Association) can play. Can you suggest a nice place?

If you had a choice of a bridge in Cary, a bridge in Apex, or a bridge in North Raleigh, which one would you sleep under?

I am also looking for some tips on things to do and places to go in the Triangle. Maybe some restaurant recommendations, hair salons, vet suggestions, and simple stuff like that. Can you tell me if there are *any* sites on the internet like that?

Vicki

Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
+1 Really great post! I think I need to make one for the Charlotte area.

Re: Accents - I have noticed that some non-southerners 'hears' a rural Georgia or deep Mississippi when they think of a southern accent. The NC accent is different. I posted these in a recent thread and a lot of people found them really helpful.

NC Dialect Quiz
Dialects of NC

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
When you wear blue clothing, be prepared for people to interpret your clothing selection as a statement of support for one of the local college sports teams (depending on the shade). When this happens, just say something like "Yeah, that last game was a killer" or "Just wait 'till next season."
I'm just glad I can wear blue or red clothing now without having to worry about getting shot at!

And regarding acents, I hope my kids get a little Southern tinge to their accent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary