Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Geordies View Post
Excellent post! Totally and completely agree. Having also lived in London, the culture we've found here in NC is a million times better
Thanks! It is loads better and, no dizzying roundabouts, city tariffs, you can park at your destination, and everyone speaks English Oh, and the sun shines even when it's cold. I don't miss those cloudy days!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
In fact, part of 540 is I-540, and part of 540 is NC540 (the part that will be a toll road).
I'm not talking about what it IS, but what it's CALLED. Nobody calls it "I-540". Perhaps they will once the other part is finished, but it's just "540" now.

And Isaac is absolutely right about "Little Washington"! And, no self-respecting NC native would refer to the Morehead City/Beaufort ["BO-f'rt"]/Atlantic Beach area as "The Crystal Coast"--it's "Morehead", meaning the whole eastern Carteret County area. Bonus points for knowing that "Tony's" means the Sanitary restaurant in Morehead.

Also, "Carolina" means UNC if you're in NC, but it means "USC" if you're in SC (What do they know?). Don't go to Myrtle Beach and talk about "Carolina" unless you know this, or they will talk to you about the wrong school.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
As a public service to those who may be considering moving to the area, below is an explanation of terms that newcomers often get confused. (It becomes more confusing when local TV broadcasters get it wrong, too.)

1. The Triangle - This term defines Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, and the surrounding small towns. It is so named because Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill form a triangle.

2. RTP - This stands for Research Triangle Park. It is basically a very large business park with its own zip code and is centrally located in the Triangle.

When you say "RTP," do not say "the" RTP. Their website (rtp.org) refers to it as "The Research Triangle Park," but no one ever says "the RTP." It's just "RTP."

3. RDU - This is the airport. It is also centrally located and is near RTP. It stands for Raleigh/Durham, but do not refer to the Triangle as "RDU." If you do say "RDU, people will think you're talking only about the airport.

4. Raleigh/Durham - This is a pretty much useless term that only people from outside of the area use. The centers of each city are about 30 minutes from each other. But each city has its own separate government, school system, and culture. If you are talking about the area, use the term, "the Triangle."

5. Colleges:

UNC - When people say "UNC," they mean UNC (University of North Carolina) at Chapel Hill.

State - When people say "State," they mean North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

Duke - They mean Duke, of course, in Durham.

Central - They mean North Carolina Central University (NCCU) in Durham.

6. Tar Heels - This is a term for all citizens of North Carolina and is also the nickname for Chapel Hill athletic teams. A bighorn ram is their mascot. The main theme color is "Carolina Blue," a medium bright blue.

7. Wolfpack - This is the nickname for NC State athletic teams. A wolf is the university mascot. The main theme color is deep red.

8. Blue Devils - This is the nickname for Duke athletic teams. A blue devil is the university mascot. The main theme color is a deep royal blue.

9. Eagles - The nickname for Central (NCCU's) athletic teams. An eagle is their mascot. The main theme color is maroon.

10. The Beach - We don't call it the "shore." The "beach" can be any spot along the coast, including Wilmington, Atlantic Beach, or the Outer Banks (Nag's Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.). Generally, though, in the Triangle, when you say "the beach," people are usually talking about the Wilmington or Atlantic Beach areas. If you're going to the Outer Banks, say, "Outer Banks."

11. 440 - This is the original beltline that circles Raleigh. Do not say "the 440." It's just "440" or "the beltline." When people say "Inside the beltline," they mean the 440 beltline.

12. 540 - This beltline is newer and can be considered the "outer" beltline. It does not yet circle the entire Raleigh area. Do not say "the 540." It's just "540" or "the outer beltline."

Note: The original beltline (440) used to be referred to as the "inner beltline" and "outer beltline," depending upon which direction you were going. Those terms have been changed in an effort to make them easier to understand. Here is a TV story about it: Inner? Outer? Beltline confusion ends soon :: WRAL.com

13. Bonus fact: Wake Forest University is not in the town of Wake Forest. It moved in 1956 to Winston-Salem. The Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary is now located in the university's old location in Wake forest.

14. Survival tips:

• Do not say "we did it better up North" (or wherever you came from). However, feel free to make this a better place. Just don't complain about it. Choose your words carefully.
  • Do not ever say you are afraid your children will get a Southern accent. That is quite rude. Triangle Southern accents, if you can find them at all, are soft and lilting.
  • Street names are sometimes confusing. You'll find some street names and area names on MapQuest that haven't been used in years.

There are a few instances of streets with the same name being a few blocks away from each other.

Keep in mind you need to be specific in street names: For example, New Hope Road is not the same as New Hope Church Road in Raleigh. And there are multiple "New Hope Church Roads" in the Triangle.
  • Do not complain about a lack of things to do. This is a vibrant area with lots of things to do, including sports, plays, concerts, festivals, and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you just need to look a little harder than what you're used to.

Welcome and good luck!
This is an awesome post - and VERY informative for anyone wanting to understand the "lay of the land" in their new home state

Old 10-22-2009, 11:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Hunter View Post
Francois- Remember downtown blvd, north blvd and then US1? Glenwood beyond Crabtree was the Derm Highway. K and K toys at Crabtree? The Orange Bowl? Mayberry at Colony Shopping Center. When mini-city was nothing but soccer fields. Ray Rd was puretee country. K-Mart at Six Forks and Wake Forest flooded every few years. The madman that killed a few people at the old North Hills mall. Scotty's had the best hot dogs in town. North Ridge was waay out. Effie Green was a county school. Country Club Hills was a far out suburb.
Yes, I do, Isaac (except the Country Club Hills part, perhaps). Are you on Facebook? There's a whole group for folks who grew up here and remember things like that--like the sniper who killed 4 people at North Hills (Mall) on Memorial Day, 1972, or Ragamuffins restaurant, or the Village Subway at Cameron Village.

But we should keep this thread more on topic and current, for the new folks

Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm not talking about what it IS, but what it's CALLED. Nobody calls it "I-540". Perhaps they will once the other part is finished, but it's just "540" now.
Francois - I agree with you, the point I was trying to make is that to call it I-540 would refer only to that part of the road that stretches from I-40 north and east to US64. It would leave out the portion from I-40 south and west to NC 55 (which is a state, rather than federal route and is labeled NC540 - as will the rest of the toll road portion when built). The original plan would have had I-540 eventually becoming I-640 when the loop was complete (per federal Interstate naming conventions). Seems that will not be necessary anymore, since I-540 will now never be a loop (although "540" will).

Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
This thread reminds me how much I love being Southern!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Hunter View Post
Durham is Derm but never Doorum as many northerners tend to say.
Didn't help that Marc Jacobson was on the tube for years with his commercials promoting his "Toyota of Doorum" dealership (before he changed its name).

Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 AM

24 posts, read 65,866 times
You forgot the Canes! Canes stands for Hurricanes our only professional team here in the triangle.....

Old 10-23-2009, 08:25 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I didn't cover food because food is a state-wide topic, not Triangle only.

I didn't cover Canes because I wrote a quick guide, not a book! But if I could edit it, I would add Canes as well as "Carolina" for UNC.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-23-2009 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 AM

415 posts, read 1,110,122 times
Although I am fairly new here, I am not a yankee transplant. :-)

I grew up in Florida with Native Floridian parents who both have distinct Southern accents. My mother's mother is from this area, and I noticed when I was growing up that her accent was different from the other Southern accents I knew in rural Florida. My Nana was from Turkey (near Clinton) but moved to Florida when she ran off from home at 16 to marry a hoodlum. :-)

When I first moved here, I nearly burst into tears at a hairdresser one day. I was sitting there minding my own business when the elderly lady waiting next to me began to talk to her friend. I thought my Nana had come back from the dead to talk to me. She sounded exactly like her, and I'd never heard anyone else with that distinct way of speaking. I asked her where she was from, and sure enough she was from Sampson County.

I don't know if this is "North Carolina" but in my house the lights were turned "own" rather than "ahn", we had dinner at noon, not at 6 p.m., we had a settee or a sofa, not a couch, we children were referred to as varmits, often told to quit lollygagging and threatened with being skinned alive. When asked how she was doing, my grandmother inevitably said, "Fair to middlin' I s'pose."

Oh - my father always said "thank ya, Guv'nr" (Governor) when someone did something nice and used "yankee" as his only expletive.

My boyfriend, a Raleigh native, informed me that BOH-fert is in North Carolina, BYOO-fert is in South Carolina and if you mix it up folks will most certainly know you 'taint from 'round here.

A few others he told me mark you as a native or non-native:

Cabarrus County: Cuh-BEHR-us, not CAB-er-us

Iredell - I couldn't figure out how to write this phonetically, but it is not I-yer-dale, more like AHR-d'l

Blount Street - blunt not blownt (ow, like ouch)

Harnett County - HAR-nit not Har-NETT

oh - and one more... Catawba River/County... he always calls it Cat-a-WAH-bah when we pass it and laughs (it's Cuh-TAW-buh).

Jenny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary