Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times

Advertisements

Thank you, and you're very welcome!

Don't move here unless you have a job waiting for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayaz View Post
From someone whom plans to migrate to the Raleigh Triangle soon from AZ.
Great thread interesting and still informative.
I look forward to the move.

Thanks much
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayaz View Post
From someone whom plans to migrate to the Raleigh Triangle soon from AZ.
Great thread interesting and still informative.
I look forward to the move.

Thanks much
You might migrate to the triangle area or to Raleigh, but not to "the Raleigh Triangle", ain't no such thing. The Triangle refers to Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. You also have be careful with "the Triangle". While it is used to refer to the whole area, often when someone around here says "the Triangle" they are referring only to Research Triangle Park(ie RTP).

Just starting your education so you don't have so much to learn when you get here.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 12,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAGuy-in-RDU View Post
What a load of crap. Sorry but really? The problem is not the people from the "North" it's the fact that everyone is so slow here for everything lol and they feel like they need to chit chat with you about every single little thing and give you a freaking smile. Cut the crap...this isn't a girl scout camp out.

My advice: be yourself, live your life according to your rules and what you feel is right. If you don't feel like saying hello, don't say hello. If you don't feel like being extra nice because that is the "southern way" don't be extra nice.
I really cannot understand why someone with an attitude like this didn't stay put - it seems like they're not even slightly open-minded to a new culture (and that's what it is, a new culture, you're not in NY/NJ anymore). If you loved it so much where you were from, why, exactly, did you move here???

Rude people are exactly WHY I moved here, to get away from them! If you have a problem with smiling at someone, it truly amazes me. Does it hurt your face?

Everyone else here - really appreciate all the great suggestions and advice. My husband and I love it here and really appreciate the "southern way"!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM

18 posts, read 32,781 times
I wouldn't mind a day or two off from work if and when two inches of snow causes a travel emergency where civilian traffic is prohibited, but a week of no driving would give me cabin fever.
As a former "Yankee," I simply ask that you enjoy the snow as you watch from your window (maybe curled up on the couch with something warm: drink, blanket, animal, significant other, etc.), drive carefully in it if you must, and after it stops falling, get it off the roads as soon as possible.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
When it comes to snow, most people from NC can drive in it. They are used to driving on the beach or mudding. But we usually get a nice sheet of ice, that throws everyone for a loop.

We can "get" snow days, so just enjoy the temporary holiday.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM

174 posts, read 570,379 times
I'm really loving this thread!

My favorite idiomatic expression is "bless her/his heart" which I have heard used in a straightforward manor (wasn't that a nice thing he/she did), and as a sideways insult ("she just hasn't been right since she fell on her head, bless her heart").

Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I have to say, even when I was a fresh transplant I never got why people were so confused by "inner" and "outer" beltline. If downtown is to your right/the passenger side of your car...you are in the inner betline. If downtown is to your left/drivers side of your car..you are on the outer beltline. The inner beltline is northbound west of downtown and southbound east of downtown, and the outer beltline is the vice versa; northbound east of downtown, and southbound west of downtown. Nothing TOO complicated about it.

Dude I totally agree with you. Raleigh was the first in the country to do this concept. It was progressive and a raleigh staple. Now they are removing all references to the Beltline. Beltline is a raleigh thing you know?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM

106 posts, read 175,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
As a public service to those who may be considering moving to the area, below is an explanation of terms that newcomers often get confused. (It becomes more confusing when local TV broadcasters get it wrong, too.)

1. The Triangle - This term defines Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, and the surrounding small towns. It is so named because Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill form a triangle.

2. RTP - This stands for Research Triangle Park. It is basically a very large business park with its own zip code and is centrally located in the Triangle.

When you say "RTP," do not say "the" RTP. Their website (rtp.org) refers to it as "The Research Triangle Park," but no one ever says "the RTP." It's just "RTP."

3. RDU - This is the airport. It is also centrally located and is near RTP. It stands for Raleigh/Durham, but do not refer to the Triangle as "RDU." If you do say "RDU, people will think you're talking only about the airport.

4. Raleigh/Durham - This is a pretty much useless term that only people from outside of the area use. The centers of each city are about 30 minutes from each other. But each city has its own separate government, school system, and culture. If you are talking about the area, use the term, "the Triangle."

5. Colleges:

UNC - When people say "UNC," they mean UNC (University of North Carolina) at Chapel Hill.

State - When people say "State," they mean North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

Duke - They mean Duke, of course, in Durham.

Central - They mean North Carolina Central University (NCCU) in Durham.

6. Tar Heels - This is a term for all citizens of North Carolina and is also the nickname for Chapel Hill athletic teams. A bighorn ram is their mascot. The main theme color is "Carolina Blue," a medium bright blue.

7. Wolfpack - This is the nickname for NC State athletic teams. A wolf is the university mascot. The main theme color is deep red.

8. Blue Devils - This is the nickname for Duke athletic teams. A blue devil is the university mascot. The main theme color is a deep royal blue.

9. Eagles - The nickname for Central (NCCU's) athletic teams. An eagle is their mascot. The main theme color is maroon.

10. The Beach - We don't call it the "shore." The "beach" can be any spot along the coast, including Wilmington, Atlantic Beach, or the Outer Banks (Nag's Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.). Generally, though, in the Triangle, when you say "the beach," people are usually talking about the Wilmington or Atlantic Beach areas. If you're going to the Outer Banks, say, "Outer Banks."

11. 440 - This is the original beltline that circles Raleigh. Do not say "the 440." It's just "440" or "the beltline." When people say "Inside the beltline," they mean the 440 beltline.

12. 540 - This beltline is newer and can be considered the "outer" beltline. It does not yet circle the entire Raleigh area. Do not say "the 540." It's just "540" or "the outer beltline."

Note: The original beltline (440) used to be referred to as the "inner beltline" and "outer beltline," depending upon which direction you were going. Those terms have been changed in an effort to make them easier to understand. Here is a TV story about it: Inner? Outer? Beltline confusion ends soon :: WRAL.com

13. Bonus fact: Wake Forest University is not in the town of Wake Forest. It moved in 1956 to Winston-Salem. The Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary is now located in the university's old location in Wake forest.

14. Survival tips:

• Do not say "we did it better up North" (or wherever you came from). However, feel free to make this a better place. Just don't complain about it. Choose your words carefully.
  • Do not ever say you are afraid your children will get a Southern accent. That is quite rude. Triangle Southern accents, if you can find them at all, are soft and lilting.
  • Street names are sometimes confusing. You'll find some street names and area names on MapQuest that haven't been used in years.

There are a few instances of streets with the same name being a few blocks away from each other.

Keep in mind you need to be specific in street names: For example, New Hope Road is not the same as New Hope Church Road in Raleigh. And there are multiple "New Hope Church Roads" in the Triangle.
  • Do not complain about a lack of things to do. This is a vibrant area with lots of things to do, including sports, plays, concerts, festivals, and lots of restaurants. Sometimes you just need to look a little harder than what you're used to.

Welcome and good luck!
Great post

This is going to be very helpful when I relocate to Raleigh. Thank you

Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 7,228 times
Thank you Lovebrentwood and everyone else who contributed, very informational!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM

375 posts, read 1,143,529 times
An eastern NC native here, that's found her way over to the "big city"

Down East can also refer to the Rocky Mount/Edgecome Co. area... since the Down East festival is held in Rocky Mount every year.

Fayetteville is pronounced more like "Fey'vl" - all run together and the "ette" disappear completely.

We're "fixing" to do things, "reckoning" instead of thinking, and cutting on switches/lights.

Everything can be fixed with duct tape or WD-40. If those won't work, then there are bungie cords.

My Dad does the whole dinner at noon, supper at 5pm (or so) but I haven't really picked up on it.

Any insult can be followed with a "bless her/his heart" and becomes polite

If you hear a couple at the grocery store arguing over whether to get a "cart" or a "buggy", that's my husband and I. I drive him BONKERS with that (He's from IA).

All right = a'ight

Like I said, most of this is eastern NC, and not something I run into frequently in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary