Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:25 AM

577 posts, read 1,903,504 times

Advertisements

Raleigh needs to reduce water usage by at least 10%.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1397043/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:01 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,888 times
This would fit right in with the "sprinkler system" thread from last week. People taking water for granted. Use it for what you NEED it for, and there would be no need for restrictions for a looong time.

Oh, and at the end of the article it says "The city has been under voluntary water restrictions since 2002." What are voluntary water restrictions?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:26 AM

401 posts, read 1,625,360 times
If lawns were watered when they needed it, they would only be watered about 3 days a week. I think the restrictions are a good idea.
I guess everybody's idea of NEED might be a little different. We don't need swimming pools, or car washing, etc. Do you recommend we do away with them?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:29 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,662,885 times
Do any of the cities/towns in the Triangle have a Rain Barrel Program like this town?

http://www.winchester.us/index.php?o...pper&Itemid=50

Quote:
Rain barrels provide an innovative way to capture rainwater from your roof and store it for later use in watering lawns, gardens, and indoor plants. This water would otherwise be lost to surface runoff, potentially picking up pollutants on its way to a stormdrain, lake, or stream.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,888 times
I recommend we do away with sprinklers. That is not a need. Swimming pools are not a need either, but fewer and fewer new homes have them. Car washing probably is a need, though commercial car washes use less water than doing it in your driveway, and some of them even recycle the water they use.

Look, I know people aren't gonna give up this stuff. It's apparently asking too much. But maybe these water restrictions will make people think about what's really a necessary use of water and what's not. Maybe if we used water smartly, these restrictions wouldn't even need to be considered...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,312,327 times
Interesting Article, but where does this statement come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Raleigh needs to reduce water usage by at least 10%.
Is it just your opinion or was it in the article somewhere that I may have missed?

Just looking for clarification. By saying raleigh needs to reduce its water usage by 10% what is the baseline we are comparing the 10% reduction to? Do we need a 10% reduction compared to the water usage for this month last year? The cummulative daily average water use from 2006, or is it broken down by water use per season?

Thanks for posting the article link!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:01 AM

577 posts, read 1,903,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Interesting Article, but where does this statement come from?

Is it just your opinion or was it in the article somewhere that I may have missed?

Just looking for clarification. By saying raleigh needs to reduce its water usage by 10% what is the baseline we are comparing the 10% reduction to? Do we need a 10% reduction compared to the water usage for this month last year? The cummulative daily average water use from 2006, or is it broken down by water use per season?

Thanks for posting the article link!
It was on the morning news live they stated the goal was to reduce water usage by 10%, I pulled the report after watching it at 530 am dont know why they didnt include it in the written article.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:45 AM

959 posts, read 4,496,176 times
Looks like it would affect other nearby towns too:

Quote:
The permanent restrictions would also affect the areas outside Raleigh that get water from the city, including Garner, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Knightdale, Wendell and Zebulon.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:57 AM

709 posts, read 936,921 times
It is the moron who waters his lawn at 2pm on a sunny and windy 90 degree day!! 70% of the water evaporates before it makes it into the ground!!!

Stupid people do stupid things with water. they water their lawn EVERYDAY!!

Yes put restrictions on outdoor water use! People are too stupid to do the right thing without them.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 AM

71 posts, read 79,438 times
The guy across the street from me has eight cars and washes almost all of them frequently. He is out there now watering his grass, right after a rain. I think he just likes playing with the hose. There might be some rare pathology going on there. I would love to see some sort of disincentive for this sort of behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary