Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,774 times

Advertisements

If a house has it's own water well is it safe to assume the owner can self regulate water usage?

Also, where was the 10% reduction quoted from? I did some on-line research and came up empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:53 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,692,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
The area is depends on man made water sources, water supply issues have been a problem as long back as I can remember, but the huge influx has advanced the issue from bad to worse, they had no good solutions. We have a good rain fall average just not enough lakes to keep up with growth and Golf courses swim clubs development ect.
Yup, this a is not something new. But I do feel strongly that it has come to a head and now they HAVE to address this as a serious issue due to many changes, namely growth and all that comes with it. I for one am glad it has come to the forefront and is being considered serious now.....because it will come around again

Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,620 times
I also hear that Raleigh is planning on building another lake on the north east side of Raleigh. I am told that they are already buying land.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:26 AM

71 posts, read 79,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I also hear that Raleigh is planning on building another lake on the north east side of Raleigh. I am told that they are already buying land.
Gaaaah I hope that doesn't mean that more of the Neuse gets turned from a river into a lake.

Can you cite a source?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I too would like a source on that one, if anybody can find something. If it's true, somebody better tell them to stop the plans for the greenway that's going in right along the river up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller
anyone know how large cities like LA and NYC get water to their millions of residents? desalination? (SP?) Just thought this would be interesting of note..
LA gets a good bit of their water from snow melt in the Sierra Nevada mountains. New York has several deep lakes well northwest of the city.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
I too would like a source on that one, if anybody can find something. If it's true, somebody better tell them to stop the plans for the greenway that's going in right along the river up there.
I heard the Eastern Wake lake rumor a fortnight ago (via a neighbor who heard about it at the barbershop). My curiosity was peaked and so I tried to find out more by a web search.

An article from the N and O (April 23, 2007 mentions "And officials are making plans for a new reservoir in eastern Wake County."
http://www.newsobserver.com/167/story/566906.html (broken link)

An older article (May 23, 2006) mentions "The city is working with Wake County to build a new reservoir on the Little River in eastern Wake County by 2025."
http://www.newsobserver.com/928/story/442544.html

This led me to the City of Raleigh website which details how "Another planned future water source will be a new reservoir that the City of Raleigh and Wake County are looking at building on the Little River in the eastern part of the county. The City and County expect to complete the reservoir by 2025. The new Dempsey E. Benton Water Treatment Plant and the new Little River reservoir are expected to meet the area’s water needs through 2040. The City is exploring plans to accommodate water needs beyond 2040." http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/serv...-13422563.html

Then I found some maps on the Wake County website.
http://www.wakegov.com/agendas/december6/13/map.pdf and http://www.wakegov.com/agendas/2006/...1/19/01map.pdf

Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,650 times
Awesome finds, Snowpea. Looks like it will be just NW of Zebulon, north of US-64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridari View Post
The guy across the street from me has eight cars and washes almost all of them frequently. He is out there now watering his grass, right after a rain. I think he just likes playing with the hose. There might be some rare pathology going on there. I would love to see some sort of disincentive for this sort of behavior.
Still, someone should take away viridari's neighbor's hose...

Old 05-10-2007, 11:18 AM

55 posts, read 353,667 times
Default Arizona Restrictions

I live in the high country, Flagstaff, AZ. We are at 7000 ft elevation. We have had a water restriction in place since I moved herein 2002.

Even number houses water on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sunday. Odd numbered homes on Tues, Thursday, Saturday. No watering of any kind allowed on Monday's. We have to water before 9 am and after 5 pm. On our off days we are allowed to use the hose to wash cars, water lawns, etc as long as it isn't free flowing.

I have had no problem keeping my small piece of lawn in top shape with this schedule. To further reduce my consumption of water I turned off my sprinklers and do it by hand. I find that time theraputic. I am waiting for my water bill to compare the two methods and see what the reducion in usage is.

At this elevation the sun is so intense it would be crazy to waste water watering outside of the required hours.

I live on a golf course and they use reclaimed water. The local car washers are required to use reclaimed water as well.

We are in severe drought here so I am going to further reduce my watering to twice a week.

I feel sprinkler systems overwater. I do understand that I have a small area to water by hand compared to the lush and larger lots in your area.

I am planning on returning to the area in the next year and I will be keeping as much of the lot natural. Water is so precious and with so much of the country experiencing drough conditions we all have to do what we can to reduce consumption.

To sum it up, if we can have beautiful lawns and flowers here in the Mountains of Arizona on restrictions so can you. We rely on Mother Nature so lets give her a hand.

Linda

Old 05-10-2007, 12:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,260,383 times
"To sum it up, if we can have beautiful lawns and flowers here in the Mountains of Arizona on restrictions so can you. We rely on Mother Nature so lets give her a hand."

Well said, Linda. Portland experiences drought like conditions in summer due to our Mediterranean climate. Xeriscaping with drought tolerant groundcover and plants in lieu of grass solves the problem. Another advantage of the commercial car washes -- less bad stuff entering the municipal water system.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 PM

578 posts, read 3,082,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Another advantage of the commercial car washes -- less bad stuff entering the municipal water system.
That's probably the least of your concerns with stuff going down the drain. I had a NY funeral home tell me that they are allowed to just dump EVERYTHING down the drain when doing embalming. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary