Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times

Advertisements

We have very very specific computer desk needs (e.g. have to have enough space for a big box, tray wide enough for keyboard AND mouse, no silly shelf at foot level...) and would like to go somewhere that has the largest variety possible - mostly since we'll have to take our four boys with us and they are patient but it has its limits

PS. We are looking for small - medium sized desks with hutches made out of run-of-the-mill woods - function and longevity are key - we use our computer desks a loooooot

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:29 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,687 times
You might want to try the state surplus facility off Hillsborough St kind of west of Buck Jones. They have a ton of stuff, plus your kids can have fun. I can't say for certain they have something that meets your exact needs, but at times they have a wide variety for excellent prices.

NC State Surplus site

Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
I recommend skipping Staples, Office Depot, and the like. Their furniture is low quality when it comes to durability. Thin pressboard sags under weight quickly and connectors can break fairly easy.

Instead, look at an actual office store. I'm not sure what's available in Raleigh but go to someplace that sells Steelcase and other office-quality products. Up here we have Boise Cascade where I've purchased a desk and great Steelcase chair. The chair was $350 with upgraded casters for hardwood. I'm still using it 8 years later after 50 hours a week in it and it's still very comfortable. I have a plain 48x30x30 gloss black desk I bought from them as well. No nicks, chips in the laminate. Heavy as anything and rock solid. No wobble, no sag. And that's after kids jump on it, climb on it, drop things on it, etc. I can't say the same for my Office Max office furniture which is sagging, now has some scrap wood screwed onto it to hold it together, has a lot of worn spots on the laminate top, and has a hanging door that falls off. I'm not confident it'll make the move to Raleigh later this month very well.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I was going to recommend the State Surpluss as well. It's on the corner of 54 (where Hillsborough street continues to Cary) and Nowell Road.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:51 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
Thanks for the recs After spending hours looking at desks we ended up buying ours at Office Max hehe. They were exactly what we were looking for - lots of room to stretch out our legs, extra wide pull out keyboard/mouse tray, yada yada.

I wanted to give a shout out to two great used/new furniture stores we found.

One was www.thriftyofficefurniture.com in East Durham, just above RTP. They sell all kinds of wholesale priced office furniture (which they can also order from various fat glossy catalogs), as well as a vast number of second hand office desks, tables, chairs, partitions, filing cabinets, etc. We are likely going back to get a table we saw to use as a gaming table for our bonus room.

The other was off of 15/501 in SW Durham - http://aaronrentsfurniture.com/ They rent furniture to corporations, students, etc, as well as sell it (new) in their stores. Everything from desks to couches to beds. Then once their rental furniture gets a ding in it they sell it (again in the store). We got some gorgeous nightstands and chest of drawers for our master, and a table for the boys' bedroom for $300 total. Each piece has a weenie chip of wood missing from a corner. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, check out these places

Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,729 times
Good info Indigo! I love it when peeps post follow-ups with all the info they learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary