Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,232 times

Advertisements

Anyone know why every house in this community seems to be for sale? There are some new homes (never occupied) but many are for sale by owner. What's going on? Anyone have any recommendations for a Wake Forest community with larger property lots (over 1/2 acre)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,051,263 times
The homes are for sale for various reasons.....some are for sale because of the proposed shopping center that is going to be built near st. ives. When the building process came up, the developer purchased a row of houses that backed up to the 100 foot buffer from the shopping center. the developer bought the homes new from the builders, so they are all for sale. There are a couple of builders in the neighborhood who have or are close to bankruptcy, and they are trying to sell their homes. I don't know about the fsbo's.

Other neighborhoods with bigger lots that I really like quite a bit:

galloway
glenmoor

they are probably within 5 or 6 miles from st. ives. wooded lots, beautiful homes, etc.

Leigh

Old 08-14-2009, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,232 times
Thanks very much...the agent in the St. Ives office was telling us the shopping center is supposed to be 'a high-end' center with mostly outdoor shopping...do you know if that's the case? and do you know the timing? I like Galloway very much and will also check out Glenmoor...it's so hard to find good information, especially when you're moving from out of state...thanks for your help!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,051,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunting View Post
Thanks very much...the agent in the St. Ives office was telling us the shopping center is supposed to be 'a high-end' center with mostly outdoor shopping...do you know if that's the case? and do you know the timing? I like Galloway very much and will also check out Glenmoor...it's so hard to find good information, especially when you're moving from out of state...thanks for your help!
I have heard the same things you have, high end shopping. But, nothing has been done and it doesn't seem like things are even close to being done. I haven't read anything to make me think they are going to build any time soon. glenmoor and galloway are quite similar (at least to me). I like both of those neighborhoods because of the lots and how many of the houses are set back. Have you ever driven through waterford plantation? The homes are a little older than galloway and glenmoor, but really nice lots, and houses.

Leigh

Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM

40 posts, read 134,022 times
Default St. Ives/Glenmoor/Galloway/Waterfall Plantation

Unfortunately, unit sales of homes priced at $500K & up have more then slowed but have come to a screaming halt by the lack of buyers & the inability of buyers to get jumbo loans. Most of the recent market activity is a result of 1st timers taking the plunge and buying homes $150K up to $300k. The activity is supported by FHA loans with a top end loan limit of $295K and the $8K first time home buyer tax credit, available for those who can close by November 30th, providing you have documented income for the past 2 years and a credit score of 680 or better.

Even the custom built homes in the completed subdivisions of Glennmoor, Waterfall Plantation, Hawkshead and my community Galloway have seen homes average DOM upward of 275 days. The recent sales have been homes that pricing has been reduced out of necessity to sell due to job relocation, job loss resulting in those sellers dropping the price below what they had originally paid new in 2005, 2006. The non-contingent bargain hunters with good credit and 20% down are enjoying some beautifully built custome homes in great neighboorhoods with good schools and very good prices and mortgage rates.

Remember too, St. Ives is still under development and you are seeing a combination of many builder inventory homes and job related forced sales. The proposed shopping center has been put on hold by the developers last I read and I would have to believe that is not the reason one would choose to sell...especially in this market. Look at North Hills....the high end shopping mall is the hub of growth and in some cases the draw for new home buyers. Hope that helps...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,427 times
I live in St. Ives, and I love love love it here. All the neighbors know each other and look out for each other. We all get together once a month, which is really nice. I really think that its just higher end homes arent selling in the current market. I sure hope it picks up, as I'd love to have a fuler neighborhood...

Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,431 times
Default Hillcrest Farm

I live in the Hillcrest Farm subdivision in Wake Forest. It is a beautiful community with two ponds and large lots. The only downfall is there are not many trees...but if you're looking in Galloway or St. Ives-you're only going to see pine trees anyway! There are tons of kids, great neighbors and the shopping is convenient!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
I live in St. Ives as well. We have had four houses sell in the past couple of months. Things are picking up quite a bit as the weather warms up. The shopping center has been turned down after the developer appealed it with the town. There are also two houses being built currently that are already sold. We looked at Galloway and Glenmoor as well, but the location of St. Ives to everything along with the pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, and genuine neighborhood feel is what sold us. When you are in and out SEVERAL times a day, being close to everything is key!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary