Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM

111 posts, read 188,474 times

Advertisements

I love it! I hope the town of Cary gets their sign ordinace shot down in courts now. They are doing their best to discredit this guy. It would be true justice for them to spend a ton of money fighting it and lose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 116,257 times
What I heard was that after the road was widened, that the drainage was bad ( in his opinion ) and he said that his yard was holding water and flooding because of the poor job done by the city.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86000 View Post
I love it! I hope the town of Cary gets their sign ordinace shot down in courts now. They are doing their best to discredit this guy. It would be true justice for them to spend a ton of money fighting it and lose
And really, how would this benefit anyone involved?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86000 View Post
They are doing their best to discredit this guy. It would be true justice for them to spend a ton of money fighting it and lose
Which would just mean that the Town of Cary would need to make up that $$$ by dropping/reducing services elsewhere, or raising taxes. I'm not sure how that would be "true justice".

Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
This guy is a piece of work. Did you see the condition of the siding before he had it spray painted? Where is the pride of ownership? Just because your house is on a busy road you don't just give up on taking care of it. His neighbors manage to keep the landscaping tidy and their houses freshly painted. There was supposed to be "NC" after the comma but the painters talked him out of it. The comma makes me chuckle because it looks so silly. It makes me wonder if the homeowner was looking to make this a national news story. Why did he want "NC" added to it?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 AM

315 posts, read 776,101 times
I am not from NC, but have taken a great interest in this case. I communicate with civil rights attorneys all the time and have an opinion about this situation.

1. The town of Cary had best proceed with caution in applying fines based on their sign laws. This case is no different then if a man where to make a protest sign and march in front of city hall or the White House. A right fully protected by the first amendment. This man is not advertising a store, placing up garage sale signs, or billboards, he is protesting against the government. Something he is fully protected to do. If the town of Cary sincerely believes they will take on the ACLU and win this case, they are so sadly mistaken. They will loose and probably be held civily liable for tens of millions of dollars based on constitutional issues. They need to immediataly back down on their position of fines against this home owner based on their "sign ordinance" to do so could costs all the residents of Cary higher taxes to pay for the award in a judgement this man might be given.

2. I feel the man has been absolutely wronged here. You folks have to recognize this is a small, individual man, fighting for his civil rights. Fighting to protect his "castle" his home from oppression of big government. He is a common man, trying to live a simple life, in his own home! The government offered him $5300 to ruin his home, make it impossible to sell and caused flooding to his basement. Sure, they offered to fix the flooding, but who is going to buy his home? Nobody, that is who!

In my opinion, the town of Cary should allow that small section of homes to be zoned commercially for small retail or offices. This would make the location valuable and attractive to potential buyers. As it stands, nobody will buy this guys home and he knows it. Why will nobody buy his home? Because the town of Cary ruined it!

For the good of all people who work hard, pay their bills and view their home as their castle, you need to standup for this man and support him. Don't let the petty details get in the way! Look at the big picture.

Let the man protest, it is his right and every American's right. I think you should support this man and his efforts.

This can happen to any one of you. Citys are constantly siding with business revenue over home owner's rights. It happens all the time and it needs to stop! I for one, plan to donote to this man's cause.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 AM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
I am not from NC, but have taken a great interest in this case. I communicate with civil rights attorneys all the time and have an opinion about this situation.

1. The town of Cary had best proceed with caution in applying fines based on their sign laws. This case is no different then if a man where to make a protest sign and march in front of city hall or the White House. A right fully protected by the first amendment. This man is not advertising a store, placing up garage sale signs, or billboards, he is protesting against the government. Something he is fully protected to do. If the town of Cary sincerely believes they will take on the ACLU and win this case, they are so sadly mistaken. They will loose and probably be held civily liable for tens of millions of dollars based on constitutional issues. They need to immediataly back down on their position of fines against this home owner based on their "sign ordinance" to do so could costs all the residents of Cary higher taxes to pay for the award in a judgement this man might be given.

2. I feel the man has been absolutely wronged here. You folks have to recognize this is a small, individual man, fighting for his civil rights. Fighting to protect his "castle" his home from oppression of big government. He is a common man, trying to live a simple life, in his own home! The government offered him $5300 to ruin his home, make it impossible to sell and caused flooding to his basement. Sure, they offered to fix the flooding, but who is going to buy his home? Nobody, that is who!

In my opinion, the town of Cary should allow that small section of homes to be zoned commercially for small retail or offices. This would make the location valuable and attractive to potential buyers. As it stands, nobody will buy this guys home and he knows it. Why will nobody buy his home? Because the town of Cary ruined it!

For the good of all people who work hard, pay their bills and view their home as their castle, you need to standup for this man and support him. Don't let the petty details get in the way! Look at the big picture.

Let the man protest, it is his right and every American's right. I think you should support this man and his efforts.

This can happen to any one of you. Citys are constantly siding with business revenue over home owner's rights. It happens all the time and it needs to stop! I for one, plan to donote to this man's cause.

Sir, Awesome post!!

On a lighter note, if you (Town of Cary) are following along, I just yesterday drove through this neighborhood on Maynard Rd. and took careful note of the appalling state of some of the properties located between KFR and just past this man's house. There are obvious rentals on both sides of Maynard that are deplorable in appearance and possibly in need of being condemned as unfit for habitation.

How does a spray-painted message on one man's own property draw more attention to your agenda than slumlords who pay taxes but otherwise stay under your radar? I hope the imperious history in Cary takes a national hit because of this story.

Try not to spend my and our tax money defending your misguided position.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
A right fully protected by the first amendment.
Please! The Constitution is a bad word these days.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
This soap opera continues to be a textbook example of how not to get your problems resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary