Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amother View Post
so i was in my kitchen today feeding my son in his high chair well u had dropped a chip so i bent over to pick it up and i looked over and there was a snake in my kitchen by my food shelf i grabbed my son and ran lol am scared of snakes i went into my living room to watch it to make sure it didnt go anywhere til i called for help so my hubby gets there and he had it was a smaller snake i took a pic everyone is telling me its a copperhead and it doesnt really have the hour class spots and it was a baby snake but no yellow tip on the tail but it was two tuned colors i wanna say lite brown with dark brown spots and my hubby and his friend was trying to get ahold of it and it didnt really try to bit him it just wrapped its body around his hand and he said he squezzed they did kill him sorry but my concen is they said that if there is one then there is another and i just moved into this house about a month ago and it has a storm celler in my laundry room that leads through a door in to my kitchen and ive never been done there the landlord says in gets water down there some times so i have to turn a pump on so do u think there could be a bunch snakes down there am scared i got four kids and i dont even no what kinda snake it was and i no there is a mouse in this house i put out traps for the mouse so i think that may be the reason the snake came in or do they like being in the house do copperheads come in a kitchen and just stay put in like almost the same spot for ten to fifteen mins welll someone is screaming and kids running everywhere lol will there be more is my main question i mean if that was a baby theres a mommy rite plz help me am a nervous wreack
You have won the Longest Sentence Ever Award!!

Congrats, pick up your prize at "Snakes are Us" !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyselec View Post
Snakes follow the food . You need to get rid of your mice.
If you kill the snakes you get more mice so best thing to do is kill the mice (there nasty) and let the snakes live. I've been living here since 93 and every place I lived (WF, Morrisville, Cary and East Durham) I have had at least 1 -6 foot black snake. Most of the time it was multiple snakes but they keep the mice population down.
BTW I'm a big guy and snakes freak me out but I let them live so they can control the mice.
That 6 ft black snake sounds like a racer. The cool thing about them is that they rattle. I've had one approach where I was working outside and start rattling at me...fortunately, they are not venomous. Pretty cool, though.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,528 times
"Rattlesnakes warn you of their presence, copperheads hold their ground with no warning signal".

Coming from AZ and living with Rattlesnakes cruising our property most of my life, I can tell you that they do NOT always give that expected warning with their rattler. A couple times I came across one while walking through our desert landscape and almost stepped on it. No warning of any kind, but it did stick out it's tongue to smell my presence. Scary, but I was able to just back away and choose another path. Another fact about these critters is that at least in AZ they would migrate and choose the same path each year. Very interesting to watch if you knew when and where. Especially if there were baby snakes slithering around. The poster who mentioned the head can still produce venom is absolutely correct and it's amazing how they can still be so dangerous even if dead. I hope to never see another one but will respect it if I do.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,676 times
Copperheads are not only the least lethal of the American viperids to humans, they also account for very few fatalities in dogs and other non-prey animals. There is no sense in killing any snake, period, unless it has actually bitten someone, left clear fang marks, and you need to bring it with you to the hospital to identify the antivenin to use.

Killing snakes is a losing game anyway. There are always hundreds more than you actually see. You're not making the world any safer.

Rattlesnakes may be losing their willingness to defensively rattle, via natural selection. Seems people want to kill snakes that rattle. *shrug* When the rattle-prone rattlesnakes are preferentially killed off, the rattle-free ones will remain. Then how "safe" will we be from them?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
My nephew's dog got three bites by a Copperhead last week at my Mom's place. They have already killed at least a dozen Copperheads this year. The place is really loaded with them.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,151,803 times
I find copperheads and other snakes fairly often in the yard. I take them all to the woods. If a copperhead is especially aggressive, a long stick or a shotgun will kill it. I live where I can shoot something if I need to. All snakes eat rats & mice, so they do more good than harm. But I will kill one if it seems dangerous. To move one, I hold it down with a long stick in a way that I can grab it behind the head, with heavy gloves on. Then it cannot bite. Take to woods & toss gently away.

Any shotgun shell will kill a snake at close range. Shotshells can be bought for some handguns, I know .38 and .357 are available. Good within 10-15 feet, may take 2 shots.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 43,614 times
Snakes are not aggressive by nature. You'll hear stories from your neighbors, relatives, etc. that have been "chased" by snakes. They are all fabrications. Snakes are only aggressive because we have invaded their space. This is true for most, if not all animal species, including humans. They only seem aggressive because we don't always see them before its too late. Your best defense in an area with snakes is to wear pants and for goodness sake, have some common sense (rare), and get rid of their food supply. Shoo the snake away with a stick instead of killing and everyone will be fine, copperhead or not. I know people don't like them, but they serve an important function in the ecology of the area.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Copperheads give off the smell of cucumber. I have lived i Connecticut and Rhode Island which are side by side my entire life me and my cousins used to catch copperheads using the eyes of a fishing rod and some type of string. I learned to look out for the smell of cucumber from my Grandfather who was a stone mason and that was very important to know for him because they like to hide in the stone walls that he had to work on FYI!!!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,775 times
Do copperheads hang out under porches or decks? Now I'm a little concerned about our little dogs. I love to garden. I will be the one with the knee high rubber boots and long gloves on. Oh, and I'll be wearing moth balls too.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slushy1975 View Post
Buy yourself a nice, long-handled hoe and don't leave a copperhead snake the option of hanging around your garden or flower bed. Kill it if you can. This comes from someone who chased, but didn't harm, a rat snake in my garage because they aren't venomous. Any encounter with a snake is potentially dangerous as other posters have mentioned.

Either way, a copperhead MUST leave your property.
Good to see a reasonable post...

It is not hard to kill a snake with a 6 foot shovel..When the head detaches from the body they tend to die !!!
Why on earth would you move a poisonous snake to the woods near your property to live & breed if you have kids in your yard

We have seen plenty of copperheads just sunning in the grass or leaves out in the open ...
So forget the idea that if you make noise they will always flee..
And yes, kids get bit just playing in the grass..

This information doesn't make me paranoid, but it's the reason I do not hesitate to kill any
copperhead in my yard..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary