Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
A good link - Snakes of NC
good sites......the more I look at the pic I really can say it was definately a copperhead....

I really dont have any concerns other than if its made a home in the garden right there and if its seen there again. Cant have it hanging out in front of the door where someone could step on it......hubby was supposed to go over and fix their sprinkler system.......dont think he'll be adjusting the heads over in that garden area any time soon....

So now that I've seen a black widow, copperhead what else is out there???? lol

thanks for the info......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
If you're in an area where snakes are likely, stomp your feet and/or carry a stick and bang the ground, so they'll know you're coming. Although I am terrified of snakes, logically I try to "think like them" and imagine if I were their size, and something MY size came near, and I had no arms or legs to defend myself, I would a) try to get the heck out of there or b) strike if that were my only option.

They prefer a), so "warn them" that you're coming and you probably won't see them at all. NEVER step over a fallen tree/log without seeing exactly what it is you are stepping onto.

They do say that copperhead bites are rarely fatal to adults but that's no reason to be flippant about them, especially if you have kids or pets around. I found my dogs barking at a large (harmless) black snake in the back yard last year, that was trying to strike at them, and all I could think was that if it had been a copperhead, I might have had one fewer dog.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
good sites......the more I look at the pic I really can say it was definately a copperhead....

I really dont have any concerns other than if its made a home in the garden right there and if its seen there again. Cant have it hanging out in front of the door where someone could step on it......hubby was supposed to go over and fix their sprinkler system.......dont think he'll be adjusting the heads over in that garden area any time soon....

thanks for the info......
Well, there aren't any bears or moose or mountain lions in this part of NC, so that's a plus!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Well, there aren't any bears or moose or mountain lions in this part of NC, so that's a plus!
Yeh, well here's one for ya.......last month we got an email from the hoa association......saying that a resident spotted a 5 ft black bear in their neighbors yard.........with that said I can look into that neighbors yard from my front porch.....

Who knows, although 2 neighbors I spoke to said they're a little strange.....(that neighbor I mean)

So for now I'll go with that......lol

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Really?? Wow! Well, I guess they must wander over from further West from time to time!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Really?? Wow! Well, I guess they must wander over from further West from time to time!

I hope not........hoping its just a crazy neighbor......lol

wont believe it until I see it with my own eyes and hopefully if I do it will be from a far distance.....

Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Coyotes have been seen in urban areas. (I saw one blocks away from downtown Durham with my own eyeballs.)

There are also foxes as well as raccoons. And if they're rabid, that's really bad.

So gather the babies and pets! Be careful. And be afraid. Very afraid.

Quote:

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-12-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM

shakin........NOT...lol

Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
All I know is they better not mess with a Jack Russell Terrier (those who know them know what I mean) - in fact the ref made here in an article about copperheads cracked me up:

Snake run-ins on the rise | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/article/SNAK11_20090610-222205/273162/ - broken link)

Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,428 times
Nothing at all..until I found one in the classroom last week where I teach. Ewwwwwww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary