Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 PM

26 posts, read 133,313 times

Advertisements

Okay, I can handle the crime stats (I'm oirginally from New Orleans) and I'm not worried about the heat because I've been cold for too long up North but I keep reading about SNAKES in Durham and Raleigh. Is this true? I HATE SNAKES!! Are there actually snakes in the city? Or, are we talking about rural areas only? I really hate snakes!! I'm not sure if I could handle that.

Are there snakes around Duke? Please don't laugh. I'm serious. I just can't handle snakes. Even New Orleans did not have snakes (except for after hurricaines and that was only in the suburbs). Thanks for any info. I'm absolutely serious. I need to know if there are snakes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
Janiskent, I understand your fear. I am terrified of snakes. I have bad dreams about them and everything. But in the 2 years I've lived here, I have yet to see a snake. Not even a harmless garter snake. Understand that I'm not the most outdoorsy person, but I do all of the yardwork at our house. All I've encountered are squirrels and rabbits. I imagine you'll be fine.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,925 times
I saw what we believe was a copperhead snake in Duke Forest in Chapel Hill recently. It looked fairly young and was in the middle of the path. Copperhead Snakes

Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiskent View Post
Okay, I can handle the crime stats (I'm oirginally from New Orleans) and I'm not worried about the heat because I've been cold for too long up North but I keep reading about SNAKES in Durham and Raleigh. Is this true? I HATE SNAKES!! Are there actually snakes in the city? Or, are we talking about rural areas only? I really hate snakes!! I'm not sure if I could handle that.

Are there snakes around Duke? Please don't laugh. I'm serious. I just can't handle snakes. Even New Orleans did not have snakes (except for after hurricaines and that was only in the suburbs). Thanks for any info. I'm absolutely serious. I need to know if there are snakes there.
Lousiana is home to several species of venomous snakes. But your chances of running into them in New Orleans is quite rare, hence the reason you didnt see any. Yes, there are many snakes in the Raleigh area, but you dont have much to worry about. Snakes want nothing to do with you, and will leave you alone as long as you leave them alone. Venomous snake bites are not nearly as harmful as youd be led to believe. I believe the stats regarding venomous snakebite fatalities were less than 1% of bite victims died. Anyways, most snakebites occur to those who are trying to handle the snake or pester it, and alot of bite victims are intoxicated on top of it all.

Here is a site I highly recommend you read.
http://www.naturalsciences.org/research/herpetology/Venomous_Snakes_of_NC.pdf (broken link)

It must be remembered that snakes are vital in controlling the disease-spreading rodent population. Dont kill snakes out of fear or misunderstanding. In fact, I highly recommend you spend some time at a local pet store that sells snakes. I always recommend that to people with major ophidiophobia, and it has worked in many cases. Learn about snakes and maybe even handle a few. Once you get over your fears (as I did), youll realize how silly youve been all along, and might actually enjoy their company, as I do.

Some general rules to abide by when living in snake country (which is pretty much EVERYWHERE)...

Dont step over logs/rocks/etc. Snakes love to hide by them to ambush prey that may come by.

Dont put your hands and feet where you cant see them.

Look before you reach.

If you hear a rattle, stop immediately and look for the snake. Once youve identified where the snake is, take two, big steps away from the snake and go around it while keeping your distance. Simple as that.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 133,313 times
Default I know you're right but I can't help it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lousiana is home to several species of venomous snakes. But your chances of running into them in New Orleans is quite rare, hence the reason you didnt see any. Yes, there are many snakes in the Raleigh area, but you dont have much to worry about. Snakes want nothing to do with you, and will leave you alone as long as you leave them alone. Venomous snake bites are not nearly as harmful as youd be led to believe. I believe the stats regarding venomous snakebite fatalities were less than 1% of bite victims died. Anyways, most snakebites occur to those who are trying to handle the snake or pester it, and alot of bite victims are intoxicated on top of it all.

Here is a site I highly recommend you read.
http://www.naturalsciences.org/research/herpetology/Venomous_Snakes_of_NC.pdf (broken link)

It must be remembered that snakes are vital in controlling the disease-spreading rodent population. Dont kill snakes out of fear or misunderstanding. In fact, I highly recommend you spend some time at a local pet store that sells snakes. I always recommend that to people with major ophidiophobia, and it has worked in many cases. Learn about snakes and maybe even handle a few. Once you get over your fears (as I did), youll realize how silly youve been all along, and might actually enjoy their company, as I do.

Some general rules to abide by when living in snake country (which is pretty much EVERYWHERE)...

Dont step over logs/rocks/etc. Snakes love to hide by them to ambush prey that may come by.

Dont put your hands and feet where you cant see them.

Look before you reach.

If you hear a rattle, stop immediately and look for the snake. Once youve identified where the snake is, take two, big steps away from the snake and go around it while keeping your distance. Simple as that.
I grew up in bayou country in LA where the mocs used to curl up on the cool sidewalk outside my front steps! We had a pond in the back so it was not unusual for us to find 8 to 10 a year in the yard! They seemed to follow me around.

I am not afraid of the venom. I would be dead long before the venom got to me if one ever bit me. This being said, are they in the "city" and in the parks?

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated but I am afraid I am past the point of reform.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
I have far too many. I hate snakes myself. I have a very high deck. I saw a black snake schimmie (sp?) his way up on my deck and up the wall of my house (looking for a birds nest that was in a hanging planter). I've never seen that before.. but I live on 3 acres and I realize that they are good for the environment, but I prefer that they would just be out in the woods. The copperheads will lay on rocks (saw 2 since I've been in my house of 10 yrs) and the others are trying to find somewhere cool. Just don't stick your hand in a pile of leaves, etc. Look first.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,279 times
We saw a big black snake in our backyard last week. No biggie, I'm happy that they eat all kinds of things I *really* don't want around like voles and mice!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiskent View Post
I grew up in bayou country in LA where the mocs used to curl up on the cool sidewalk outside my front steps! We had a pond in the back so it was not unusual for us to find 8 to 10 a year in the yard! They seemed to follow me around.

I am not afraid of the venom. I would be dead long before the venom got to me if one ever bit me. This being said, are they in the "city" and in the parks?

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated but I am afraid I am past the point of reform.
Yeah, snakes dont care where they end up, whether it be your garage, a city park, or deep in the woods. There really is nothing to be afraid of, honestly. If you just keep your head on straight and learn about them, youd be surprised how much youll calm down. In fact, my brother was like you a few years back. He would see a snake and be the first up in a tree. Of course Id laugh and grab the snake and tease him with it (Im sure that didnt help ), but one day I finally got him to hold my wife's kingsnake. My brother froze up at first anytime the snake would move, but after about 5 minutes he calmed down and couldnt get over how cool it was, and how neat it felt to slither all over his hands and arms. After a while our snake (Linus hehe) got bored of crawling all over the place and curled up in a ball on his lap and just sat there for over 30 minutes. My brother would pet it and stare at it in awe and couldnt believe how he'd been so afraid of snakes before. Now he is the first to call me on weekends to go out looking for snakes. Here are some of our shots from around IL...

Baby copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) from Missouri:

Our awesome California kingsnake...

Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Heh, those picture...the original poster might have passed out!

I like snakes but haven't seen any in the year I've lived here (I live near Duke). I know they're here, though. I see lizards once in a while.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Steve-o
That last picture of the small snake in a hand looks like the head is triangle shaped.
What is that snake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary