Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times

Advertisements

*shakes head*

A LOT of people need to do A LOT of research. People, youre in THEIR territory. If YOU want to move to NC, YOU just have to accept the fact that you might run into snakes, even the occasional venomous one (NOT POISONOUS!!!!!!!!!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
Steve-O,
There's another thread on this from last week, but....what do you think about taking kids splashing through a creek in this region of NC? Too risky w/cottonmouths/copperheads? We're talking LITTLE kids so not kids who would look everywhere before stepping. Wait til older or maybe if I splashed around they'd move and then they could go in? Not sure about this though as both snakes above hold their ground, don't they?

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We've been just less than a month and walk daily in Bond Park (woods, paths, lake etc). I have yet to see snake. BTW, I don't think the Janiskent will appreciate the snake photos. Pretty up close and personal.
If someone is really that ophidiophobic that they cant even look at pics (of harmless ones no less), then I must tell them that they need to move to Antarctica, because no matter where you move, youll find snakes. Theres nothing to be afraid of, too many people believe the junk that Hollywood wants them to. Too many people believe obnoxiously retarded wives-tales regarding snakes. Too many people could care less what Im typing and will continue to kill and hack all snakes they see just because they dont like them. Anyways, snakes are extremely cryptic and prefer not to be noticed, hence the reason you dont see them. If you think theyre not there just because you cant see them, youve got another thing coming. You could stand 6" from one and not know they were there (if the snake chose to remain perfectly still).

Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Steve-O,
There's another thread on this from last week, but....what do you think about taking kids splashing through a creek in this region of NC? Too risky w/cottonmouths/copperheads? We're talking LITTLE kids so not kids who would look everywhere before stepping. Wait til older or maybe if I splashed around they'd move and then they could go in? Not sure about this though as both snakes above hold their ground, don't they?
Yes, thats risky. Cottonmouths hang out around water, as can copperheads. A bite to a young child is worse than a bite to a adult, due to their smaller size and not-fully-developed immune systems.

Did you see the videos I posted? Some copperheads can be very, very docile, others can be a bit more defensive. Cottonmouths are unique in the fact that when theyre mad, they sit perfectly still, raise their heads up and open their mouths to expose the white lining (hence the term "cottonmouth") and can remain that way for hours, they wont strike out like other snakes. The only way youll get bit is if you put your hand right by its mouth or accidentally step on one. Even then, alot of snake bites are "dry", meaning no venom was injected. Snakes conserve their venom and can choose to envenomate or not. Most times they will choose not to waste their venom on something they cannot kill and ingest.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
There's another thread on this from last week, but....what do you think about taking kids splashing through a creek in this region of NC? Too risky w/cottonmouths/copperheads?
Copperheads are not water snakes, and I'm told that cottonmouths/water moccasins, while on the aggressive side, have really decreased in numbers and are rare in most parts of NC nowadays, except perhaps the swampy Eastern part of the state. Yes, splashing around to "announce yourself" first is one way to clear out ALL wildlife.

FWIW, I've lived in the Raleigh area for 40 years (when it was much MUCH more "woodsy" than it is now, before all of the developers and transplants got hold of it) and not once have I EVER seen a copperhead or a water moccasin anywhere except the Natural History museum. And we had a creek/woods right behind my house when I was growing up, which I and the neighborhood kids played in constantly in spring, summer, and fall. Not ONCE.

Best would be to Google or look for books on the two kinds of snakes; actually the most venomous of all in NC are coral snakes, but they are both extremely rare and extremely docile; you would have to try VERY hard to get bitten, and even then, their mouths are tiny.

Last edited by Francois; 05-09-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Copperheads are not water snaked, and I'm told that cottonmouths/water moccasins, while on the aggressive side, have really decreased in numbers and are rare in most parts of NC nowadays, except perhaps the swampy Eastern part of the state. Yes, splashing around to "announce yourself" first is one way to clear out ALL wildlife.

FWIW, I've lived in the Raleigh area for 40 years (when it was much MUCH more "woodsy" than it is now, before all of the developers and transplants got hold of it) and not once have I EVER seen a copperhead or a water moccasin anywhere except the Natural History museum. And we had a creek/woods right behind my house when I was growing up, which I and the neighborhood kids played in constantly in spring, summer, and fall. Not ONCE.

Best would be to Google or look for books on the two kinds of snakes; actually the most venomous of all in NC are coral snakes, but they are both extremely rare and extremely docile; you would have to try VERY hard to get bitten, and even then, their mouths are tiny.
Yeh, I've googled quite a bit but the map shows cottonmouths' territory ending right about here. I then looked at UNC Hospital's records and they show that there have been a number of cottonmouth bites treated over the past years (as well as copperheads). I know copperheads aren't water snakes, but they like to hang out around the creek nearby. The woman across from us was bitten by one and spent quite a while in the ICU and other neighbors have warned us they have seen them fairly regularly along the creek. I'm less nervous about copperheads b/c apparently their venom is not as potent as cottonmouth. Also (sorry to repeat for those who read the other thread!) I have cleared all debris, grass, etc. going down to the creek so I can be pretty sure it is copperhead-free, unless they are under the exposed rocks along the creek edge. My main concern is cottonmouths though as they do like water and the creek is very rocky--plenty of hiding spots.

I guess I'm hoping Steve-O will know whether cottonmouths really are prevalent in the Triangle, and whether they will move if I splash around in one area of the creek so that I can then give the "all clear" to the kids.

I think the coral snake is not in this part of NC, from what I've looked up anyway it seems that way.

On the one hand I feel like it could be too risky, but on the other hand I keep hearing stories from people who grew up playing in the creeks in NC (without a parent checking every single place they step) so I wonder if it's paranoid. I'll err on the paranoid side I guess, unless I hear otherwise~

Old 05-09-2008, 12:22 PM

43 posts, read 200,513 times
I'm probably close to the OP in terms of my fear of snakes. I can't even look at snake pictures, snakes in the zoo, snakes on "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel.

But I've lived in Raleigh a while and have never encountered a live snake. I saw a tiny dead one on my favorite trail in Schenk Forest, but that was the first I've ever seen here.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:22 PM

Cottonmouth defense pose:
http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/living_hazards/Cottonmouth06ByChetOrCHrisPowell2i.jpg (broken link)

Can anyone spot the cottonmouth?
VenomousReptiles.org Libraries

Rattlesnake, anyone?

Here's an easier one... copperhead:

IOW, just watch where you walk, and dont make the assumption that just because you dont see snakes in the area doesnt mean they arent there. ;-)

Old 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
and not once have I EVER seen a copperhead or a water moccasin anywhere except the Natural History museum
MANY a copperhead and cottonmouth have probably seen you.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM

26 posts, read 133,313 times
Default Fear Does Not Necessarily Equate to Stupidity or Ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If someone is really that ophidiophobic that they cant even look at pics (of harmless ones no less), then I must tell them that they need to move to Antarctica, because no matter where you move, youll find snakes. Theres nothing to be afraid of, too many people believe the junk that Hollywood wants them to. Too many people believe obnoxiously retarded wives-tales regarding snakes. Too many people could care less what Im typing and will continue to kill and hack all snakes they see just because they dont like them. Anyways, snakes are extremely cryptic and prefer not to be noticed, hence the reason you dont see them. If you think theyre not there just because you cant see them, youve got another thing coming. You could stand 6" from one and not know they were there (if the snake chose to remain perfectly still).
Actually, one reason I remained in this area (North) is because in 20 years I have seen neither a snake or a ****-roach! It was a nice change from Louisiana. However, now that I choose to move back down South, I would like to have a clear idea of whether there are snakes in the urban areas there. Simple as that.

You are quick to judge those of us with this palpable fear (and quite a few people have an aversion to snakes) and assume that we are ignorant. Quite simply, some of us DO NOT LIKE, and indeed, want nothing to do with these creatures. Thus - my original question as to whether they were sighted in the urban areas or only on the outskirts. Thanks to those who answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary