Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 AM

29 posts, read 86,015 times

Advertisements

A friend of ours from garner told us (we are moving in a month) to holly springs. A friend told us to have an exterminator blow out the house before we actually move in to keep black widows at bay. also that we can surround our house with moth balls to keep snakes away. we will be in the overlook at holly glen and there aren't many neigbors yet to ask......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yflo View Post
A friend of ours from garner told us (we are moving in a month) to holly springs. A friend told us to have an exterminator blow out the house before we actually move in to keep black widows at bay. also that we can surround our house with moth balls to keep snakes away. we will be in the overlook at holly glen and there aren't many neigbors yet to ask......
Overlook are slab foundation houses, so no crawlspaces to have black widows. I inspect houses for a living and after thousands of homes I have yet to see one inside a house. With that said, I see them in almost every crawlspace as they prefer dark slightly damp conditions. They are pretty resistant to pesticides anyway, but spraying will kill off their food source forcing them to move on. I really wouldn't give widows a second thought, just be careful in woodpiles and such.
I also live in Holly Glen (at the back on the woods) and love this neighborhood!
If you do any plantings in your yard, you may want to make sure the plants are not on the deer dinner menu lol. We have ALOT of deer and they eat everyones ornamentals

Old 06-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Default extermicator/snakes

oh thank you for replying. do you know much about the overlook? what the plans are for another pool?
also do you see many snakes in the divison?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM

I know McCar from inspecting many of their houses, but I havent spent much time in the Overlook section. I understand we are getting one of the water park style pools with the large water slides, etc.
I see snakes in the woods behind the house every now and then, but only black and garter snakes which are virtually harmless. I also get the aforementioned deer and an occasional fox.
I do not know if you are into lakes/boating, but Harris Lake is 5 minutes up the road with a large county park equipped with playgrounds, shelters and bath houses. The boating is not nearly as crowded as Jordan or Falls lake but still plenty big.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:01 PM

wow that is great information. we dont currently own a boat but might be a hobby we take up once we get settled.thanks for the information regarding the snakes. we heard they were horrible in nc and it concerned me alot. they talked about copperheads and rat snakes. YIKES!
the pool we heard about too ang hoped the promises would not be broken.

thanks for all the info- we are very excited to get there!!!! august 1

Old 06-23-2008, 03:04 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
Copperheads & rattlers are the only ones you really need to worry about. Rat snakes are harmless--unless you're a rat!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM

holy cow- rattlers too!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yflo View Post
holy cow- rattlers too!!!!
not in the triangle, only the coastal plains and mountains

Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM

93 posts, read 393,433 times
Some McCar employees mentioned they spotted timber rattlers in our backyard (I'd scream if I seen one!). Also, SEVERAL neighbors have reported copperheads in their yards/decks. I have personally found 2 three foot long snake skins next to my home...but...I'm unsure from which kind of snake they came from. Just for the heck of it...we also had a small brown bear leave us a nice...um...'gift' in our backyard a couple years back. And, yes, lots and lots of deer. Surprisingly, one left it's 'gift' right next to our deck just last month. Pretty brave critters! Oh! And frogs. Lots of frogs. (perhaps that's why there's lots of snakes!?!?) We currently have a big, fat toad calling my flower pot home these days.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Default timber rattlers

where is your home? is it in the overlook of holly glen? good lord-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary