Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

Can't see driving to Raleigh to eat at the PIT or even to Durham. Surely there is good BBQ in CH/Carrboro....Please tell me where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,237 times
Yes, there is. That would be nationally renowned Allen & Son barbeque on MLK/86 in northern Chapel Hill.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Yes, there is. That would be nationally renowned Allen & Son barbeque on MLK/86 in northern Chapel Hill.
They also have a location on 15-501 near the Chatham County line.

Another place I like is the Barbecue Joint on Weaver Dairy Road.

And you can always head over to Durham for Bullocks.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
They also have a location on 15-501 near the Chatham County line.

Another place I like is the Barbecue Joint on Weaver Dairy Road.

And you can always head over to Durham for Bullocks.
The other location near Chatham County, while having the same name, is an entirely different operation. They do not cook with wood like the Allen & Son location I mentioned. Their barbeque is not in the same league.

Barbeque Joint is quite good, and their prices are more reasonable than Allen & Son.

IMO, Bullock's has no business calling what they serve barbeque. That is the most vile stuff I have ever tasted-- and I have tasted quite a bit of barbeque between Virginia and FL.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
The other location near Chatham County, while having the same name, is an entirely different operation. They do not cook with wood like the Allen & Son location I mentioned. Their barbeque is not in the same league.
Good to know - I'd never been to the southern location and always assumed it was the same as the one on NC86 (which is much closer to me).

Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM

381 posts, read 1,326,046 times
A friend of mine owns the BBQ Joint, and it is very good. Also has an interesting assortment of dishes beyond bbq. Jon trained as a chef in France.

I think he's running a special that you can buy vouchers that will be good for twice as much food as you actually pay for.

fyi,
Mike

Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
I used to get sandwiches from Bon's Home Cooking before they moved to Franklin St. I'd hope the bbq is still as good as before. Bon is mama Dip's niece or something, so good food is in the family, but I don't know if she's still in business.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
A friend of mine owns the BBQ Joint, and it is very good. Also has an interesting assortment of dishes beyond bbq. Jon trained as a chef in France.

I think he's running a special that you can buy vouchers that will be good for twice as much food as you actually pay for.

fyi,
Mike

Can you tell me more about the interesting assortment of dishes please? I live close to the BBQ Joint but have never been in because I'm not a big fan of barbecue but it might be worth checking out if the other dishes are good.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I used to get sandwiches from Bon's Home Cooking before they moved to Franklin St. I'd hope the bbq is still as good as before. Bon is mama Dip's niece or something, so good food is in the family, but I don't know if she's still in business.
She went out of business a few months ago.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 AM

There is also a new "Q Shack" in Carrboro near Cat's Cradle and the Arts Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary