Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:44 PM

528 posts, read 1,463,279 times

Advertisements

We've just started looking at the Carrboro area and love what we see of it...I'm posting here to see if what I understand about the area is correct. From what I understand...

*It's a very diverse area
*Nice restaurants
*Nice schools (not part of WCPSS)
*Decent nightlife

Is it affordable for housing? We have 2 kids (ages 2 and 4) and we're looking to spend between 300-400K for a home. Are there nice restaurants? We don't want to be in an area where there are a ton of chain restaurants that are considered the best in the area. Although we are family-oriented, we like our nightlife too and would like to meet other couples who are interested in the same (family plus some fun with other couples at night). We don't mind suburbs as long as it has character to it and isn't completely cookie-cutter.

Do you think Carrboro might be for us? If not, any other areas that come to mind?

I appreciate any info you have to offer on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:47 PM

Ok, I have to say, I just did an MLS search and came up with only ONE home in Carrboro that was between 300-400K. Am I missing something?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Ok, I have to say, I just did an MLS search and came up with only ONE home in Carrboro that was between 300-400K. Am I missing something?
I just did a search on Fonville Morrisey's site and came up with 21 homes in the 300-400k price range in 27510 (Carrboro's zip).

I live close to Carrboro and head over there pretty frequently, and I think it's a great place. It sounds to me like it would be a nice fit for your family, and I would encourage you to visit it and check out all it has to offer. They don't have a lot of chain restaurants, and have more local places to eat, which is one of my favorite things about it.

The people there are always friendly and I always enjoy my time there, good luck in your search!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks CaryGal...my MLS site must not be a very good one (the first one I came across).

Old 07-20-2008, 07:13 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,679 times
I wouldn't say Carrboro is "very" diverse. Maybe the numbers support it (I don't know), but in my experience I wouldn't say it that way. I would say that people are very accepting, so you would not feel singled out if you were of a different culture or race, or if you were biracial, or gay/lesbian. You would, however, feel more at home if you have a lot of money and are politically liberal/progressive (there are certainly exceptions to this).

But yes, definitely there are primarily great upscale local restaurants. There are drinking bars and music bars (including the widely known Cat's Cradle) for nightlife.

Schools are part of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School system.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,714 times
I agree that Carrboro isn't "very diverse." It's mostly white, with many Hispanics--but they don't really mix and mingle. It is progressive and accepting, in theory.

I love Carrboro, however--it does have a cool, laid back vibe, and is a great place for kids and hipsterish parents.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I agree that Carrboro isn't "very diverse." It's mostly white, with many Hispanics--but they don't really mix and mingle. It is progressive and accepting, in theory.

I love Carrboro, however--it does have a cool, laid back vibe, and is a great place for kids and hipsterish parents.
Thanks for the replies. dcgirl, I like your description. We were originally looking at the north end of Virginia Beach, off Shore Drive. What we love about that area is the laid back quaint feel with the local bars and restaurants. What we DON'T like about the area is that we'd have to spend a massive amount of money for very little home (more than likely a major fixer-upper) and that the public schools are massive. This seems a possibility that might just suit us a bit better.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Default from Chapel Hill?

Carrboro and Chapel Hill are obviously VERY close. Are there a lot of people who live in Chapel Hill and spend time in Carrboro? I'm wondering if we might want to include Chapel Hill in our home search so that we have more options?

Any thoughts?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Carrboro and Chapel Hill are obviously VERY close. Are there a lot of people who live in Chapel Hill and spend time in Carrboro? I'm wondering if we might want to include Chapel Hill in our home search so that we have more options?

Any thoughts?
Yes. We live in Chapel Hill and spend a lot of time in Carrboro. We like the Weaver Street Market, the Open Eye coffee shop, Amante Pizza and Milltown restaurant and the Farmer's Market. I could go on and on. Carrboro has a lot to offer.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM

21 posts, read 69,720 times
Carrboro is a fabulous place to live and raise a family. I live in a wonderful family friendly neighborhood in Carrboro (Chapel Hill / Carrboro schools - best in the state). We are within walking distance of school, parks, farmer's market, Weaver Street co-op market, 2 supermarkets, shops, restaurants, music, coffee, bars. We are on the free bus line, bike lines ... very walker / biker friendly area. My children are in the dual langual English / Spanish program (really fantastic). The neighborhood is full of professionals with children of all ages. We have our own park and HOA that funds holiday parties, halloween, Easter egg hunts. We have built in baby-sitters (high school age kids).

Last edited by mm34b; 10-13-2008 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Terms of Service edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary