Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 AM

133 posts, read 424,848 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving down next week to Raliegh from Singapore and we weren't able to check the city out prior to the move. He will be working in Zebulon and we are thinking of renting and then buying in either Knightdale or Garner. Can anyone give me feeback on these cities. What are they like. We are a family of four with two kids. We are looking for a 4 bedroom house. Can you give me info on schools, safety, restaurants, parks,etc. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
I moved from Knightdale to Garner 3 years ago. When we lived in Knightdale, we lived in a more rural area and it was very safe. The neighborhoods I've visited in Knightdale have all been safe. We chose Garner because of the children. Garner is a great plae to raise kids. In my opinion the schools are great. There are people on here that can give you detailed info about the schools and their ratings. Garner has a great parks and rec department with all kinds of activities for kids. I think Garner has more parks that Knightdale. Garner seems to have more of a "community" feel.

Both towns border east Raleigh, which is the less desirable side of town. But I feel safe in both towns. I go out shopping in the evenings with no problem, and don't worry about my safety in general. You shouldn't have a problem finding a nice 4 bedroom home in a safe neighborhood. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 AM

thanks for your advice. As you mentioned that garner and knightdale both border e. raleigh and it being not the nicest neighborhood- would you have prefered to live some where else? How about Wake Forest? I think Cary will be too far of a commute for him to Zebulon. I have heard the traffic is quite heavy.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of a good place to live if you work in Zebulon?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fly View Post
Does anyone have any other recommendations of a good place to live if you work in Zebulon?
I am not very familiar with Zebulon, but I would check it out before you decide you want to live elsewhere. I think your idea of renting is a good one. It will help you get a feel for the area. What type of living situation are you looking for? Do you like more rural or suburban living? What price range are you thinking of? What types of stores and businesses do you want to be near? The answers to questions like this will help you narrow things down. Honestly, since Zebulon is in the opposite direction of RTP and with the new 64 bypass I think you may have multiple options in addition to Garner and Knightdale (not that there is anything wrong with those areas). What kind of commute will you tolerate? If you are looking for a more suburban type of living I think there are certain parts of Cary and North Raleigh that will allow you to get to zebulon within 30 minutes. Wendell may be an option for you as well if you are looking for a more rural lifestyle. Again, price range considerations will help you narrow down the options. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Zebulon is a good pick if your budget is tight.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 AM

35 posts, read 100,200 times
Default Garner residents

We just moved to Garner and are loving it. It has a nice small town feel but still has access to good shopping and the freeways which will get you anywhere. There are some areas that look a little run down but I still feel they are safe. Maybe wouldn't hang there on a Saturday night but no area's to avoid. We have three kids and feel it is a great place for them.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,510 times
Why not Zebulon itself? We love it here.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Why not Zebulon itself? We love it here.

My wife and I agree 110%!!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,395,632 times
Definitely not Garner. Many not so good areas and our agent states poor schools, which will affect resale.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the posts. My husband will be doing pharma contract work in Zebulon, but it's possible that he could work in the future in Holly Springs, RTP area and some other place as the Pharmaceutical community is pretty spread out around Raleigh- Durham. We want something central with not a long commute. We just moved from a densely populated city and would like something suburban with good schools, possibly a community with a pool, libraries, etc. I guess the suburban dream. A place that is safe and a house with a good resale value that isn't overpriced. We would like a 3 to 4 bedroom house- 2,000 sqft +. Our budget is 180,000 to 250,000. Can anyone recommend a place that suits these requirements? Also, can anyone recommend a good buyers agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary