Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 29,449 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to the Raleigh Area as we are now empty nesters, and are looking for feedback on communities/towns in the Raleigh area. Our agent is steering us to the Wake Forest Area which I agree is a nice area (we are looking for a 3br+_home on .5+ acres in the 250 to 280k range). She unfortunately is not as high on some of the other areas we had preliminarily identified. On those, we are looking for others people’s opinions as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Holly Springs - nuclear power plant here, the county dump is moving here, traffic is bad and the housing is mostly cheap.

Garner - South of Raleigh, I wouldn't go to the Wal-Mart on a Friday night due to the parking lot basically being a hang out for less than desirable people. Many of the people that have been pushed out of the downtown area due to "revitalization" have moved here because it is close and housing is pretty cheap.

Clayton - South of Raleigh, in a different county. About 30 minutes from Raleigh, definitely some rough sections but okay sections as well. I usually don't recommend this town because of the school district in this county - that of course affects the re-sale of the home.

Knightdale - East of Raleigh, mandatory curfew for youth due to crime, low-end houses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 AM

36 posts, read 277,067 times
Holly Springs wins hands down. Some Realtors have their own little territory they like stay in.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Holly Springs - nuclear power plant here, the county dump is moving here, traffic is bad and the housing is mostly cheap.
Speaking as a current resident of Holly Springs, and future resident of Wake Forest...
The nuclear power plant doesn't bother anyone down here. It's at the extreme West fringe of town. The town itself is about 7 or 8 miles away from it. In fact, they're putting in a 'Jack Nicklaus-designed' golf course community (1500 single family homes) practically right next to the plant! And I've seen expected price ranges for those homes up to and over $1M.

The dump is unfortunate, but the North Wake Landfill didn't affect home values in north Raleigh.

And traffic is not that bad in Holly Springs compared to other areas. The 55 bypass is never very busy. There are bottlenecks at US-1 and along Holly Springs road, but again not bad relatively....nothing NEARLY as bad as Capital Blvd south of Wake Forest.

And then there are the good points about Holly Springs....
- Novartis Pharmeceuticals building a large plant there that will create hundreds of very high paying jobs.
- I-540 will be built directly into Holly Springs, which will make a 20 minute commute to RTP and the airport.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
The dump is unfortunate, but the North Wake Landfill didn't affect home values in north Raleigh.
Very good point! Many people seem to ignore the fact that the home values are very high in the area surrounding the current landfill in North Raleigh. Whether or not you want to live there is a matter of personal preference, but the argument over how it will affect home values is moot. The N. Raleigh landfill is a perfect example of a situation where a landfill has not hurt home values in such a highly desireable area.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM

142 posts, read 520,863 times
We looked at all of these towns when we visited a couple of weeks ago. We had no specific issues with Holly Springs, but we didn't get a great vibe from it, so we crossed it off our list. Garner too. We briefly drove through Knightdale, so I don't have a real opinion on it. We did like Clayton. It seemed very nice. You could get more land and more house for your money. Those are my thoughts...

Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
It seems that once people are here visiting they really do get a 'vibe' from different towns. I used to live in holly springs, and I liked it, the only thing I didn't like was that I felt like I had to go other places for all of my "things", like shopping, target, movie theater, etc. It got tiresome after a while. I think the town has grown quite a bit, and they have a nice cultural center.

Knightdale is definitely a growing town since 540 has connected it to the rest of the triangle, but you would have to visit for yourself and see if you like it.

Leigh

Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsparacino View Post
Clayton - South of Raleigh, in a different county. About 30 minutes from Raleigh, definitely some rough sections but okay sections as well. I usually don't recommend this town because of the school district in this county - that of course affects the re-sale of the home.
Such Baloney! The school district in Johnston County/Clayton is one of the best! I live in Clayton and would like to know which "rough" sections your realtor is talking about.

I live near Garner and to make a blanket statement about an entire area is just ludicrous. There are some very beautiful areas in Garner. I personally might avoid the area of Garner right near Raleigh but there are some really nice areas.

Your realtor will make more money if you buy in Wake Forest. My recommendation is to find an area that you like first before getting with a realtor. This way you will not be steered by the realtor's commissions or convenience.

Do a search on Clayton and the other areas you mentioned in this forum and you can find alot of information from folks who live there. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Lauren

Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 AM

214 posts, read 701,961 times
To the original poster- are those the impressions of the realtor you are working with? I also respectfully disagree about the schools in Clayton. Having moved here from Mass last year, my children have had an unbelievable year- one at Riverwood Middle and the other at East Clayton. I am completely satisfied with the quality of the education and the level of instruction they have received. I have spent many hours volunteering in the schools and have observed it first hand. There are definitely schools in Johnston County that are not as good and the county is addressing this. Perhaps this is what the realtor is referring to- not necessarily Clayton in general.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:13 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
To the original poster- are those the impressions of the realtor you are working with? I also respectfully disagree about the schools in Clayton. Having moved here from Mass last year, my children have had an unbelievable year- one at Riverwood Middle and the other at East Clayton. I am completely satisfied with the quality of the education and the level of instruction they have received. I have spent many hours volunteering in the schools and have observed it first hand. There are definitely schools in Johnston County that are not as good and the county is addressing this. Perhaps this is what the realtor is referring to- not necessarily Clayton in general.
I agree!
My daughter goes to school also at East Clayton. She struggled from Kindergarten to 2nd grade in Wake county, but in 3rd grade in Johnston county, she's on the honor roll AND principal's list!

A lady in my neighborhood who was a formal realtor told me that realtors don't get a good "cut" selling in Clayton as they would other places. Not sure if that applies to ALL realtors or not, but it does raise a little suspicion.

I grew up in Wake county, in North Raleigh near Six forks. I always heard police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, etc. Which was normal, for such a big city. Now, I live in Clayton off of Hwy 70 and I don't hear ANYTHING. Its so quiet. Even the air smells fresher out here. Plus, you can't beat the location. Plenty of shopping, movie theaters, Raleigh only 20 minutes away..the beach is only an hour & a half. Lots to do & see, its a great town!

Any questions, feel free to ask.
I have a few pictures posted, I'm taking more over the weekend.

~Heather~

Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
That is why this board is so great! Realtors and buyers can only base schools on test scores without personal experience. Nothing compares to first hand experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary