Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:30 PM

113 posts, read 344,536 times

Advertisements

Hello I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone had a favorite restaurant to eat at in the Raleigh Durham area. All food goes. I am looking for great restaurants to try and I am not picky. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,667,472 times
I am a fan of Stonewood grill. I also had a good experience at Maggiano's Little Italy at South Point.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,385,867 times
In general, I find that Durham as the best "high end" restaurants, which is what I've chosen to use to define my favorites. My choices are (in order):
  • Four Square (Durham). Great food, wonderful atmosphere in an old Victorian home.
  • Nana's (Durham). Wonderful food, romantic, tables fairly close (reminds me of European restaurants in that respect).
  • Fearington House (between Pittsboro & Chapel Hill). Love to stay at the Fearington Inn and walk to/from the restaurant. Both the restaurant and inn are very expensive, though, so this is a big "splurge" for my wife and me.
  • Magnolia Grill (Durham). Good food, very noisy. Although I know plenty of folks who consider this their favorite restaurant in the triangle area, I've found it to be a little below the others I've listed above in terms of quality of the food.
In general, I find that Durham has the best "top end" restaurants, followed by Chapel Hill and Raleigh. For Raleigh, I like Second Empire and Fins quite a bit. Margauex's can also be very good when it is on, but is much too inconsistent for the price point in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 40,259 times
Thumbs up Lots to like

Here are a few that I really like in SW Durham area (and not a chain among 'em!) that fall between the "High End" and the typical strip mall family fair, but are great everyday kinds of places:

City Beverage - great place -- creative menu -- probably my favorite if I were to pick only one

Bocci Trattoria - good italian food, great thin crust pizza (wish the beer selection were better)

Guglhupf - amazing pastries from the bakery, great brunch place

Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,662,842 times
I really like Lynnwood grill located off of Hilburn between Glenwood and Lynn (right next to the Raleigh Grande movie theater). They have great gourmet and custom pizzas, calzones, sandwiches, wings, salads and pickle chips (yum!). They also have some good specials on wings/drinks throughout the week, and they usually have live music a few days a week. Very casual, laid back atmosphere, and the owner is a really nice guy and actually works in the kitchen!

I also love Waraji for sushi, located on Duraleigh just off Glenwood. Excellent Japanese food! I suggest making reservations because it's a relatively small restaurant and the line forms fast!

Those are just a few...

Old 04-06-2007, 03:25 PM

567 posts, read 2,148,084 times
Rio Churrascaria in Cary - we miss that place!! Good for a special occasion, and best at dinner on a busy evening. It's a Brazilian steakhouse where they serve a variety of meats on large skewers that look like swords. Very cool and great food!

Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,929,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
In general, I find that Durham as the best "high end" restaurants, which is what I've chosen to use to define my favorites. My choices are (in order):
  • Four Square (Durham). Great food, wonderful atmosphere in an old Victorian home.
  • Nana's (Durham). Wonderful food, romantic, tables fairly close (reminds me of European restaurants in that respect).
  • Fearington House (between Pittsboro & Chapel Hill). Love to stay at the Fearington Inn and walk to/from the restaurant. Both the restaurant and inn are very expensive, though, so this is a big "splurge" for my wife and me.
  • Magnolia Grill (Durham). Good food, very noisy. Although I know plenty of folks who consider this their favorite restaurant in the triangle area, I've found it to be a little below the others I've listed above in terms of quality of the food.
In general, I find that Durham has the best "top end" restaurants, followed by Chapel Hill and Raleigh. For Raleigh, I like Second Empire and Fins quite a bit. Margauex's can also be very good when it is on, but is much too inconsistent for the price point in my opinion.
I second everything on this list. I like Magnolia Grill as much as its reputation suggests (though what rfb says is true). I would add Piedmont, Rue Cler, Vin Rouge, and Anotherthyme to the list.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,385,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I would add Piedmont, Rue Cler, Vin Rouge, and Anotherthyme to the list.
I love Anotherthyme as well. Haven't tried the other three - going to have to do that.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,708,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I second everything on this list. I like Magnolia Grill as much as its reputation suggests (though what rfb says is true). I would add Piedmont, Rue Cler, Vin Rouge, and Anotherthyme to the list.
I give a third to that list, but would have to put Nana's at the top. I've had better meals there than at Marinus, or French Laundry.

I would also add Pop's (same owner as Rue Cler) for Durham.

In Chapel Hill try Lantern or Bin 54.

In Raleigh my favorite is Enoteca Vin, although most people just call it Vin. They've got the best Sunday Brunch around.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 PM

37 posts, read 110,203 times
I have emjoyed many fine restaurants in Raleigh.
1. The Peddler steak house on glenwood ave - Quantity and Quality and flavorfull steaks.Free salad bar with each meal.A five star gem
2.The Cheesecake factory @ crabtree valley mall.Pricey but,you get what you pay for.Great dinner menu and of course cheesecake.
3.The Angus barn off of 540/70/glenwood.Pricey,Quality,excellent wine selection and even better service.Try the key lime pie,what a treat.
4.The outback on creedmoor.Great food,great service and good price
I hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary