Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 AM

41 posts, read 119,855 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'm moving to the area to take a job in North Cary (yeah, from Austin...) I'd like to get a house with a short term lease so I can scout the area before buying (I've only spent 24 hours there, for the job interview).

How can I find short term leases that will ALLOW DOGS? (2 dogs, ~60-lbs each).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
I'd suggest you search on craigslist for rentals.

We do have some listed on MLS but most houses require a longer lease.

Dogs aren't usually a problem.

I think alot of folks don't like the idea of renting because they then have to move twice. If your company is paying some of your fees, they typically want you to move only once.

Also...as for the rentals, you may check out the classifieds in the News and Observer (this is online).

I'll do a quick check into MLS for rentals and will let you know if I see any that I think will work...again, they usually want a year but apartments are easier to rent for 3-4 months.

Vicki

Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 AM

101 posts, read 594,380 times
You can also try to negotiate a less than year lease on a house rental. That's what we did. I tried to get a 6 month lease but ended up with a 9 month lease even though it said 12 month required. The realtor said that it was because of our good credit record that the landlord agreed to a shorter term lease. Sometimes you can actually negotiate a shorter lease by paying a little more rent as well. It actually worked out well as we got to know the area and actually used the whole 9 months to search and find just what we were looking for and to spend time to get the new house ready. The only downside is the bit of moving twice but we did not unpack much at all while we were in the rental.

Hope that helps!
Taryn

Old 03-27-2007, 08:39 AM

Thanks. I'll check craigslist and the News and Observer (local Raleigh paper?)

What about summer rentals when the college kids aren't around? How would I find those?

Apartments won't work for my guys -- leaving them inside for 10 hours when I'm at work and commuting is definitely out.

GreyDawg

Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Taryn:

How did you find the house to lease? And did it allow dogs?

When I moved 12 years ago, I rented a duplex that had a fenced yard and allowed dogs, used one of the bedrooms to store all boxes, didn't unpack 98% of it, and hired local movers to move it to my house 4 months later. Excellent way of doing things, and I'd love to repeat it.

--Grey Dawg

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Greydawg, if you are using a realtor to re-locate, I would suggest telling them your needs and they can help you. That is what we did. I started working with my realtor a year before our move and he found us rentals which I flew out to look at and then I met with him to look at houses. It costs you nothing. We ended up purchasing two houses in Cary thru him so it worked out very well. We found plenty of rentals thru him and settled in the Cary area. I also have a 60 # dog and a fenced in yard was a must as well. We just had to pay a pet deposit.

Taryn

Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Grey-dawg,

I think we were posting at the same time!!! We did the exact same thing--we are storing all of the boxes in the garage and bonus room and just unpacked what was needed. My husband's company paid for the first moving expenses for the out-of-state move, but we will pay for the local Cary move. It is definitely worth the expense to me, to not have to rush into making such a huge decision about where to live when you still don't have a feel for the area.

I will PM you with some other info you might like.

Taryn

Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,418 times
GreyDawg, we found our rental on the internet. Just do a simple search on Google & you should find plenty of options. Here's just a few of them.

http://www.nchomerentals.com/propertiescary.htm

http://www.rentclicks.com/North-Caro...aleigh-Durham/

http://www.rentalhouses.com/search_results.php?state=NC&city=Cary&searchnew=1& step=last (broken link)

http://www.homerentalads.com/search.cfm (broken link)

And that's just to list a few! Of course, someplaces will say that they only want long-term leases, but there's really no harm in explaining your situation & asking if they'll make an exception. The worst thing they can say is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary