Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,188,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie228 View Post
Saturnfan, is Triangle Town Center in Raleigh?
Yes near Capital Blvd.

They also are in Crabtree mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:59 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,688,334 times
I don't have jewelry, but I know acquaintances from church have been hosting gold parties in recent months. The way it works is you just bring your jewelry (gold, silver, platinum) and the licensed professional buyer will buy your stuff.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM

20 posts, read 50,929 times
What about Ebay?

What kind of jewelry is it?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisejk View Post
What about Ebay?

What kind of jewelry is it?
Ebay is very risky for jewelry.

Buyer can claim item is fake, return it, and get a refund through Paypal.

Dangerous for buyers too. Mich misrepresentation and/or outright fraud.

If you buy on ebay, always fund with Paypal backed by your credit card. Never pay through your bank account or debit card.

I was once in security at Exxon-Mobil credit card.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM

237 posts, read 757,709 times
I don't usually get involved with these posts because I am involved with the business and don't want anyone to think I am pumping my business. However, I will offer some advise/information and you may take it for what it's worth. First, my husband and I have been in the coin, gold jewelry, diamond business for 27 years. We do not operate a store front, which I will explain after. We also are part owners of a smelting firm. I say this so you know that I am familiar with the topic.
There are times when anyone can find himself/herself in the position of having to or wanting to sell items.
1. Do not send your things away in a bag to any company. You have no idea what your goods weigh in gold. You have no concrete idea if what you are sending is in fact all gold, or whether it's 10k, 14k or 18 k. These companies can and do simply send you money and tell you that a percentage of your things did not weigh or were not what you thought they were and you get paid less. There is no way for you to prove otherwise.
2. Second, pawn shops, jewelry shops etc typically don't weigh things or do a similar routine as the mail aways. They simply either offer you an amount or as jewelry stores like to do, give store credit toward another purchase.
Let me explain what we do. We either meet you at your home, our home or a place where you would be mutually comfortable. We put your things on the scale first. Then if there are stones in the items we will tell you what they would be worth. We use testing kits to make sure 10k is 10k, 14k is 14k etc. This is all done in front of you.
We don't operate a store front for simple economic reasons. The more we have to pay for a store, the less we can offer you. We work on small profit margins and make up for it in volume. Obviously everyone has to make money otherwise no reason for doing it. However, there is a big difference between making a fair profit and taking advantage of someone.
We buy from jewelry stores, pawn shops etc. Because we have a smelting firm, we typically can pay 30%-70% more than anyone else.
We also offer people to have jewelry parties. They invite their friends to bring jewelry, coins etc. We pay cash and give the hostess a percentage of what we buy. We don't get greedy and believe everyone should get a fair deal. We do the same thing for schools, organizations etc for fund raising.
Again, I am not saying all of this to promote my company. I am saying please be careful. Make sure whatever you do with your things or wherever you take them that you see what they are doing with your things and that they offer you cash for your items. I hope this can help a bit and wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,297,577 times
I went to Grimball's Jewelry by Whole Foods in Chapel Hill and got double what I was offered at a pawn shop.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Treasure Isle uses the scale in front of you.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 48,104 times
Is there a coin store that can buy reasonable numbers of gold/silver bars/coins? It was great years ago collecting gold eagles for $400 and 100oz silver bars at $500, but now that I want to liquidate them, will the same little shops give me cash for 2-3 silver bars or gold eagles at a time? Or is there a larger dealer in the area? Anyone been selling lately and where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary