Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM

867 posts, read 1,589,770 times

Advertisements

I have a few pieces of 10kt and 14kt yellow gold jewelry that I would like to sell.

I've been to pawn shops and they offer nothing. I'm thinking of trying Craigslist. Does anyone know any other good places to try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM

804 posts, read 2,006,157 times
you will probaby want to review these prior threads with such info:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pawn-shop.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...y-diamond.html

Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,181,126 times
National Pawn pays fairly.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM

21 posts, read 51,493 times
I'm just going to piggyback off of your thread with a question I was planning on starting a thread about...

What would be the best place for me to sell some silver coins I own?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:41 PM

229 posts, read 704,591 times
I sold a bunch of gold coins at Raleigh Fine Jewelry & Coin: #1 Gold Buyer In Raleigh since 2002 and they were a pleasure to deal with. They were very fair, very up-front, and not pushy at all. From the pics on the site it looks like they've moved into a bigger location, so I guess business is treating them well lol.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,536,104 times
I find that jewlery repair places give the best prices. About a month ago I sold some gold. It went like this. I weighed what I had, found out how much it was worth based on the karat. That was $911. It was a necklace with pendant and really wasn't scrap gold but I was selling at such. I figure 70% of what it is worth is decent for me. I called the local pawn shops first and told them the weight. NONE of them wanted to tell me over the phone but they said about $500-$600. I then took it to a jewlery repair place close to my job I knew about. He first offered $411. I told him no. After some button pushing on the calculator, web surfing for the price of gold, and some conversation he said $500. I told him I would take $600. I told him I wasn't selling it until I got another price anyway from the pawn shop across the street. He told me to call him and tell him what they offered before I sold it. The pawn shop first offered $430. I told them no. He got the manager. Manager asked me what I wanted I told him $625 or about 70% worth of its market value as scrap. He said okay. I called the jewler and he said to come to him since I came to him first and he'll buy it for $625. I told him he had to beat the price to get me to come back. Reluctantly he have me $650. Took about 30 minutes but that $200 was worth it.

Make sure you know what you have BEFORE you walk in. They will give you a decent price if you know what you have.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,918,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz80 View Post
I sold a bunch of gold coins at Raleigh Fine Jewelry & Coin: #1 Gold Buyer In Raleigh since 2002 and they were a pleasure to deal with. They were very fair, very up-front, and not pushy at all. From the pics on the site it looks like they've moved into a bigger location, so I guess business is treating them well lol.
A contrary story to tell. I visited the store today to sell some undistinguished (private minted) silver rounds I wanted to cash in on. I'd already called one of the very largest national buyers/sellers of gold and silver, and gotten an offer of 100% of spot market price plus $0.20 per ounce.

The buyer at Raleigh Fine Jewelry was very pleasant and professional; he asked me how I had heard about the store, if I had seen the videos on their site, if I had checked them out with the BBB. I showed him samples of the items I was looking to sell. The buyer told me that his shop had to offer below the spot market price in order to have room to make a profit, and said that he could offer 85% of spot for the item.

I told him of my other offer, thanked him for his time, and got up to leave. Would have been fine if we left it there; he's got a small business to run (or work for) and I can understand he can't compete with the better rates. What burned me up was "James'" insistence on trying to set in seeds of doubt on working with this national player -- "Yes, but you have to go to the Post Office and mail things registered mail" and other "disadvantages" of using a national firm.

I found it disturbing that a shop buyer would try to sow seeds of doubt about one of the largest, most reputable coin and bullion dealers in the country, when he's a guy in a suit and a Bluetooth headset sitting out in some strip mall in northwest Raleigh. And to try to convince me that it would be worth giving up significant dollars in a selling price to avoid going to the post office? To quote Will Arnett, "COME ON!"

If I were selling things that might be tougher to liquidate, like flatware, jewelry, etc., their pricing would have been more compelling. But I found the buyer's seemingly-friendly hard-sell to be too obnoxious for me to want to return there.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,181,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
A contrary story to tell. I visited the store today to sell some undistinguished (private minted) silver rounds I wanted to cash in on. I'd already called one of the very largest national buyers/sellers of gold and silver, and gotten an offer of 100% of spot market price plus $0.20 per ounce.

The buyer at Raleigh Fine Jewelry was very pleasant and professional; he asked me how I had heard about the store, if I had seen the videos on their site, if I had checked them out with the BBB. I showed him samples of the items I was looking to sell. The buyer told me that his shop had to offer below the spot market price in order to have room to make a profit, and said that he could offer 85% of spot for the item.

I told him of my other offer, thanked him for his time, and got up to leave. Would have been fine if we left it there; he's got a small business to run (or work for) and I can understand he can't compete with the better rates. What burned me up was "James'" insistence on trying to set in seeds of doubt on working with this national player -- "Yes, but you have to go to the Post Office and mail things registered mail" and other "disadvantages" of using a national firm.

I found it disturbing that a shop buyer would try to sow seeds of doubt about one of the largest, most reputable coin and bullion dealers in the country, when he's a guy in a suit and a Bluetooth headset sitting out in some strip mall in northwest Raleigh. And to try to convince me that it would be worth giving up significant dollars in a selling price to avoid going to the post office? To quote Will Arnett, "COME ON!"

If I were selling things that might be tougher to liquidate, like flatware, jewelry, etc., their pricing would have been more compelling. But I found the buyer's seemingly-friendly hard-sell to be too obnoxious for me to want to return there.
There are a lot of issues involving the sale of precious metals by mail. Any discrepancy in quantity or quality of items may be very difficult to resolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary