Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,934 times

Advertisements

Hello I've been trolling the boards for several months now and have been interested in the triangle area, so much so that me and my wife have planned a trip in two weeks being that its only a 390 mile trip from my home.

I'm wondering since I know nothing about Raleigh can someone direct me as to what areas to stay out of as well as what areas to check out. Location is very important to my wife and I especially since we have kids and would like a safe neighborhood.

We will only be there for 3 1/2 days so I am trying to plan ahead and make sure I visit as many areas as I can. Saw several homes in the Fuquay area in the sub 300k range that seem nice so I will be checking that area out. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
You say you know nothing about Raleigh but "have been interested" in the Triangle...somewhat contradictory info? If you know nothing about the area, how can you be interested in it?

Have you been offered a job here? If not, are you planning to have one before moving? Unemployment is rising rapidly in this area.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoe View Post
Hello I've been trolling the boards for several months now and have been interested in the triangle area, so much so that me and my wife have planned a trip in two weeks being that its only a 390 mile trip from my home.

I'm wondering since I know nothing about Raleigh can someone direct me as to what areas to stay out of as well as what areas to check out. Location is very important to my wife and I especially since we have kids and would like a safe neighborhood.

We will only be there for 3 1/2 days so I am trying to plan ahead and make sure I visit as many areas as I can. Saw several homes in the Fuquay area in the sub 300k range that seem nice so I will be checking that area out. Thanks in advance.
There are some great hotels in the area, one that tends to be "centrally" located is the embassy suites off of harrison oaks blvd. It is located in an area that is close to interstate 40, and gives you relatively easy access to both southern and northern parts of wake county. If I were you I would pick out a couple of areas you want to see and do some research specifically on those places........I know in fuquay there is a great little bakery called Nils, which you may want to check out! Holly springs is close to fuquay (oh, and also, in case you were wondering, it is pronounced FEW-quay VAH-reena by us natives!!!), most people just say "few-quay" instead of the whole name. Anyhow, Holly Springs is also a nice area to check out,

I do think, if you are planning on working when you move down, you may want to consider commute times while you are looking around. There are many many great small towns all over the triangle. Happy exploring.

Leigh

Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM

[In response to Francois ]

Hi there, in the first sentence of my initial post I indicated that i had been trolling the boards for quite a while, that along with looking at housing prices online have caused me to be interested in the "triangle area".

Simply because I am interested does not mean that I know anything about the area. I am interested in flying a plane however know nothing about it.

Anyhow as far as work is concerned yes its true unemployment is rising not only in NC but in all of the USA as well. My job although not immune to the economy allows me to transfer to anywhere in the world since It is a worldwide company. I guess thats one of the greatest benefits I have in working with them.

Also being that my wife is a nurse she can locate work anywhere. Also a plus we have going for us. It is my hope that i will like the area enough to hopefully move there someday.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
There are some great hotels in the area, one that tends to be "centrally" located is the embassy suites off of harrison oaks blvd. It is located in an area that is close to interstate 40, and gives you relatively easy access to both southern and northern parts of wake county. If I were you I would pick out a couple of areas you want to see and do some research specifically on those places........I know in fuquay there is a great little bakery called Nils, which you may want to check out! Holly springs is close to fuquay (oh, and also, in case you were wondering, it is pronounced FEW-quay VAH-reena by us natives!!!), most people just say "few-quay" instead of the whole name. Anyhow, Holly Springs is also a nice area to check out,

I do think, if you are planning on working when you move down, you may want to consider commute times while you are looking around. There are many many great small towns all over the triangle. Happy exploring.

Leigh
I'm going to write down that bakery and check it out in my travels. Also Fuquay is about 45 mins from where my job would be. I appreciate your info and am looking forward to arriving in Raleigh.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 PM

194 posts, read 325,678 times
Cary or Apex are nice areas and convenient to Raleigh. Fuquay is nice if you don't want as much traffic and you don't plan on heading to Cary or Raleigh often- more country.
Both Wake and Rex Hospitals have great reputations and would probably be something for your wife to look into during her job search. They are located in Raleigh, but also have smaller branches around the Cary and Apex areas.
Cary, Apex, and Fuquay all have low crime rates and neighborhoods and schools.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times
I would also check out Holly Springs:

Town of Holly Springs, NC

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 AM

36 posts, read 128,963 times
You'll find the boundaries of Cary/Apex/Holly Springs are jumbled a bit between Ten Ten and Sunset Lake/Optimist Farm Roads. Fuquay is a tad further south. We moved here six months ago and like all of them. Recommend dinner in one of the family restaurants in downtown Apex.

In terms of real estate, you'll find great selection. Check out The Glen at Woodcreek (Holly Springs and Sunset Lake) as they just opened and are priced from the mid 300s I believe.

Awakening covered it. One really can't go wrong - just depends on your needs. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 AM

214 posts, read 663,725 times
Is this a house hunting trip or are you just wanting to explore the triangle?

If you just want to check out the triangle, I would definitely say spend 1 day in Raleigh/Cary and another day in Durham/Chapel Hill. I would use the last day to explore the surrounding areas - Fuquay, Clayton, etc.

As for areas to go house hunting, we need more information. I know you said sub-300K, but that leaves every place on the table with the exception of Chapel Hill. As someone else said, make sure you consider commute times.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM

This is just a trip to see if we like the area my goal is to drive around and check out as much as I can, I am also going to visit the company I work for. Appreciate all the feedback I have been receiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
Is this a house hunting trip or are you just wanting to explore the triangle?

If you just want to check out the triangle, I would definitely say spend 1 day in Raleigh/Cary and another day in Durham/Chapel Hill. I would use the last day to explore the surrounding areas - Fuquay, Clayton, etc.

As for areas to go house hunting, we need more information. I know you said sub-300K, but that leaves every place on the table with the exception of Chapel Hill. As someone else said, make sure you consider commute times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary