Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,985 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Has anyone moved to the Raleigh area from DC? Currently I am living in Arlington, VA (Clarendon - just outside of DC) and my husband and I are interested in moving down for a better quality of life. I really like this area and I have some family here which makes it hard to leave, but it has gotten so expensive and the financial stress is just not worth it anymore.
We are planning a trip down to visit the area, but we are having a hard time learning about the various neighborhoods in the area. We would prefer to be in a fairly central location (so long as it is SAFE - we have a toddler)... possibly in an area that is close to (and possibly walking distance to) restaurants, shopping, bike trails, and parks. If anyone knows the Clarendon area, it is 2 miles from DC, the houses are older but mostly renovated and there are tons of shops and restaurants within walking distance. I'm not sure if that kind of neighborhood exists down there?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 54,868 times
My husband and our 2 kids just moved from the DC area in July. We're renting in North Raleigh and cheking out places we may want to buy in. I haven't had much time to explore he city too much so I can't give specific advice but what I've seen here in N. Raleigh has been really nice. To give you some perspective, I live north of Triangle Town Center, right of Capital Blvd (Rt. 1).

There are lots of nice neighborhoods here and there seems to be a plethora of shopping centers as well as parks. We love the fact that it is MUCH less expensive to live down here than up there. It was one of the main reasons we moved.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 PM

355 posts, read 958,501 times
My wife and I have also considered this move. We're in Alexandria. While we like the idea of a lower cost of living and being closer to family, we're not sure we're ready to part with the perks of living in DC. We've made a few trips to the Raleigh area and you won't find an area anything like Clarendon. We are also looking for walkable communities - as in an easy walk to a diversity of shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc. We were struck by how small the area feels. Despite the population in the area, it's largely spread out. There are the seeds of walkable communities along Glenwood Ave, on the main drive in Chapel Hill and in a couple parts of Durham, but they are nothing like the neighborhoods around DC.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times
You are correct. I once lived in Manhattan, and Raleigh is a totally different animal.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,950 times
Brier Creek can be walkable, and I have heard that there will be some future shopping in the Brightleaf subdivision. You've also got some of the histroic districts in downtown Durham, and neighborhoods in Chapel Hill like Meadowmont or Southern Village.

In Raleigh most walkable areas will be inside the beltline, maybe Cameron Village, or neighborhoods near five points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary