Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 PM

46 posts, read 308,569 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Thinking about putting in a pool, cost should be down with the economy and my 7 and 10 year old would love it.
Thing I'm stuck on is to go fiberglass or traditional concrete?
Does anyone have any input or own a fiberglass pool?
I'd be afraid of it cracking or being slippery on the bottom.
They say they go in quick and are cheaper but I don't want a lemon.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM

316 posts, read 1,007,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfan View Post
Hey all,
Thinking about putting in a pool, cost should be down with the economy and my 7 and 10 year old would love it.
Thing I'm stuck on is to go fiberglass or traditional concrete?
Does anyone have any input or own a fiberglass pool?
I'd be afraid of it cracking or being slippery on the bottom.
They say they go in quick and are cheaper but I don't want a lemon.

TIA
I wouldn't count on prices being down...I'd be getting quotes before you go making plans.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,588,896 times
I know you think a pool is a great idea because you'll be the envy of the neighborhood and your kids along with the rest of the neighborhood will absolutely love the pool. And they will! But you won't! A pool is a nightmare to maintain if you don't absolutely stay on top of the maintenance. The operating costs of owning a pool is 5x greater than you think it will cost also. In my opinion, a pool is like owning a boat. There are only two good days of ownership, the day you get it and the day you get rid of it. I assure you in 5 years you'll think back to this thread and wish you had listened to me. But since nobody ever does I do recommend Rising Sun Pools.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM

27 posts, read 92,969 times
Rising Sun put our vinyl lined pool in several years ago. We enjoy it immensely, and maintenance is easy with the salt water system and automation. It most definitely doesn't cost us 5x more than we anticipated. I believe RS is doing fiberglass pools now. They are a very good company to deal with. I'd recommend them. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,588,896 times
Quote:
We enjoy it immensely, and maintenance is easy with the salt water system and automation. It most definitely doesn't cost us 5x more than we anticipated.
I do not need to know anymore than this to know you do not take care of the pool or pay the repair bills on it.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM

446 posts, read 1,395,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I know you think a pool is a great idea because you'll be the envy of the neighborhood and your kids along with the rest of the neighborhood will absolutely love the pool. And they will! But you won't! A pool is a nightmare to maintain if you don't absolutely stay on top of the maintenance. The operating costs of owning a pool is 5x greater than you think it will cost also. In my opinion, a pool is like owning a boat. There are only two good days of ownership, the day you get it and the day you get rid of it. I assure you in 5 years you'll think back to this thread and wish you had listened to me. But since nobody ever does I do recommend Rising Sun Pools.
You must chill.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,704,363 times
Default You must be an infallible mind reader

Quote:
You must be a mind reader to know what others think the operating costs of a pool are. How can you assure anyone that they will wish they had listened to you?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 AM

4,284 posts, read 5,950,101 times
Default A pool owner for over 21 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
........, and maintenance is easy with the salt water system ..........
How long have you had your salt water system? Any problems maintaining proper water chemistry as the salt gets replenished? How often do you have to replenish the salt? How often do you have to drain and re-fill the pool? How often do you have to replace the expensive salt cell?

I am a die hard supporter of Calcium Hypochlorite for pool water sanitation after having a couple of nightmare years of pool water chemistry associated with use of Di-Chlor and Tri-Chlor based products, but I am always looking for better ways. In addition, it is getting difficult to find Calcium Hypochlorite in stores.

My problem with Di-Chlor and Tri-Chlor is that the stabilizer incorporated into the componds (actually an inhibiter that reduces the reaction of chlorine with sunlight) continues to accumulate in the pool water until there is so much stabilizer that the chlorine won't react with anything! The pool was swamp green with algae while the ppm readings for chlorine content were off the chart! The only means of correction is to drain and re-fill the pool. Multiple other pool owners have discovered this same problem the hard way too.

I am curious if there is a similar situation with salt water pools, wherein the accumulated sodium in the pool water remaining from the electrolytic breakdown of the NaCl molecules causes the water chemistry to go haywire in some way?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,027,327 times
Quote:
Not at all the case at our house. Pool and hot tub costs about $50
per month if you average it out all year. The automatic cleaner does most of the work. We stay in town more now in the summer and spend time at
Falls Lake then come back to grill out and swim . We save more on travel costs than we spend on the pool. Ours gets used from May til Oct.
My point being... not everyone regrets putting in a pool like you suggest.

The priceless part is that it is the teen hang out which means they are not out getting into trouble.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

656 posts, read 1,993,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
I wouldn't count on prices being down...I'd be getting quotes before you go making plans.

I, too had thought this would be a great time to do some home improvements/add ons --- but I have been shocked that the costs are higher than they were a year ago. I kinda feel that when they get a job it costs more because profits aren't spread over many jobs ---just yours. I've found it interesting on the construction end...but maybe pools are different.

We owned a pool for 5 years --- a lot of work and a lot of expense for what we got out of it. I found a nice pool that I pay for us to go to during the summer --- I've found this arrangement to be much more affordable --- and I won't have an empty pool in my backyard when the kids are raised and gone!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary