Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,195,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyzbo View Post
When I was ready to buy over a year ago I looked at every house on the market (in my price range) with a pool. There were only a handful, it was very depressing. We instead opted on buying a house with a large backyard and no HOA so we could add our own pool. Well this year we are installing a fiberglass pool and gas heated hot tub. The construction will hopefully finish up this week, but I have already been in both. I chose fiberglass in that it's more durable than a liner pool, but still thousands lest then gunite. It came with a 50 year warranty on the shell which will repair and cracks for free. Can't talk about cost of owning yet, get back to me in a few months

I've noticed a lot of NC residents who hate pools, I'm not sure why this is. I have a feeling most see it as something for kids/children and don't enjoy it themselves. Others are not outdoor types who would rather be in the central air. In any case don't let them deter you, if you plan to live there for many years to come and will enjoy the purchase, why not ignore resale thoughts and do it for you. My pool is costing less then a new car to buy, will hopefully last longer, and be more enjoyable, especially with a hot tub for year round use.
Some folks are afraid of finding a child face down in the water and seeing all they own taken by a lawsuit.

It's a large responsibility. Be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM

282 posts, read 821,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Some folks are afraid of finding a child face down in the water and seeing all they own taken by a lawsuit.

It's a large responsibility. Be careful.
I'm lucky to not have any children and little respect for those who would break into my yard (Locked fence) and trespass for a swim.

I can understand for parents though, you can't just throw the kids in the backyard and not watch them.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,195,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyzbo View Post
I'm lucky to not have any children and little respect for those who would break into my yard (Locked fence) and trespass for a swim.

I can understand for parents though, you can't just throw the kids in the backyard and not watch them.
Even if a kid trespasses and drowns in your pool, you may be on the hook.

Be sure to get adequate liability limits or an umbrella policy if you install a pool.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,054,126 times
Default reply-

just an fyi- i have a 1 million $ umbrella policy that cost me $188 annually.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,054,126 times
Default reply-

just an fyi- i have a 1 million $ umbrella policy that cost me $188 annually.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM

86 posts, read 278,104 times
Default 5 months later

For what it's worth.....

I commute between NYC and this beautiful area called the Triangle. I am lucky enough to be down here with you all for a few months out of every year.

It is just wonderful to have a pool in the back yard. With the help of a website called Trouble Free Pool and a local establishment in Carrboro called Summerwind, taking care of this FIFTY+ year old in-ground, 16-foot x 40-foot pool has been a piece of cake. (There is a fence around the pool/yard) area.

I am accustomed to taking care of a pool, not only as a child, (above-ground pool), but also in an earlier-adult life. I did take care of my in-law's in-ground vinyl 12 x 30 foot pool on Long Island for over 15 years.

There is nothing finer than having a pool right out there in the back yard, any season of the year....it is SO much more than something to swim in.....

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-11-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary