Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM

12 posts, read 29,261 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a pool installed by Aqua Haven Pools? If so, what was your experience? Good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,803 times
did you make a decision on a contractor yet or still getting recommendations? the best thing to do is go thru the phone book 5 or 6 years and see who has been well established in the area. alot of companies are 1 or 2 man operations and just don't have the support needed for service down the line. I'd love to know how your experience was if you had one installed.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 18,202 times
Why would you want a vinyl liner pool in the first place. The average life of a liner is about 10 years. Then you or the future owner would have to spend extra to replace the vinyl. If you plan to sell the house with the pool, the future owner will more than likely not want that unnecessary cost. I would not want a vinyl liner pool. I would hope the realtor or homeowner are well educated in the type of pools that are offered.

As a homeowner looking for a pool in the future i would want a more durable pool such as one that is made of concrete.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,929,701 times
There are a ton of decisions to make prior to picking a contractor. Vinyl, fiberglass, or concrete? Size? Budget? We have been pricing them out lately and originally wanted fiberglass to get the best overall value for the money and also longevity and reliability, but with all the customizations we want done, concrete is looking like a better choice.

You might want to consider whether you want a standard "cookie cutter" basic pool, in which case vinyl or fiberglass might make sense for you, or if you want something more complicated and customized, in which case the savings dwindle and concrete makes more sense. The lot has a lot to do with it, and of course your budget as well. Decking can go from expensive to "crazy expensive" very fast. Do you want coping only or a full deck around the pool? Don't forget fencing costs, equipment, maintenance, and heat - if you want to extend your swimming season. I recently had a new screened porch installed and I sized my roof just right so that eventually, when I put a pool in, I can put five 4'x12' solar heating panels up there for the pool water. Runs off the main pump and is free to use except for the small additional electrical requirement and once in a while, a new panel once worn (each panel costs around $150).

There are so many things to consider when selecting not only your pool type and support hardware but also contractor. Check the BBB and also ask to speak with their older customers as well as some people they just finished jobs for. Ask lots of questions and get a feel for how the people represent themselves. Check references, etc. Standard contractor selection rules apply.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:23 AM

37 posts, read 215,734 times
I have not used the one you mentioned. I have had clients that used Rising Sun Pools and Greenville Pools. They have all been satisfied with both of these to my knowledge.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,803 times
Vinyl liner pools are no more maintenance than concrete or fiberglass - you will have routine maintenance costs with both from what I know. Yes you repalce a liner every 10-12 years but you would have to have a concrete pool repainted or replastered in that time frame as well and it's more $. Vinyl liners aren't cookie cutter either, I have found you can do anything you want with a vinyl liner and they are more like $30K compared to $6oK-$80K for concrete pool. Fiberglass is a great alternative too if you don't want to break the bank It's best to have a "wish list" and a budget and meet with all different types of pool contractors to see which one truly meets YOUR needs best. You may be suprised with what you determine is the perfect fit for your family and backyard. Let us know what you decide!

BTW- checking old references and the BBB is always a GREAT idea!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,929,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POOLSRULE View Post
Vinyl liner pools are no more maintenance than concrete or fiberglass - you will have routine maintenance costs with both from what I know. Yes you repalce a liner every 10-12 years but you would have to have a concrete pool repainted or replastered in that time frame as well and it's more $. Vinyl liners aren't cookie cutter either, I have found you can do anything you want with a vinyl liner and they are more like $30K compared to $6oK-$80K for concrete pool. Fiberglass is a great alternative too if you don't want to break the bank It's best to have a "wish list" and a budget and meet with all different types of pool contractors to see which one truly meets YOUR needs best. You may be suprised with what you determine is the perfect fit for your family and backyard. Let us know what you decide!

BTW- checking old references and the BBB is always a GREAT idea!
You can get a vinyl pool that costs $45K and a concrete pool that costs $45K. The options and size and complexity are what drives the price, so the blanket statement that a vinyl pool costs this much and a concrete pool costs that much are not really a good way to guide someone's decision. I have found the best way is to spec out what features and size pool you want, along with what decking and what sort of equipment, and THEN find out if vinyl, fiberglass, or concrete is right for you. We originally wanted vinyl and/or fiberglass but I think we will now end up with concrete, because we wanted to add some common options that would cost a lot to add to an existing fiberglass shell or vinyl liner or that are just not possible with those other designs.

Including our "expensive" decking I am guesstimating around $50K for our roughly 30x18 (not rectangular) sport-style (ie starts at 3.5 feet and goes to 5 feet deep in center, then back to 3.5 feet on the other end) concrete pool with kiddie/sun area and some jets/features on the deck. It will be solar heated and mostly automated.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM

220 posts, read 867,201 times
I've heard Backyard Oasis Pools in really good, and they're been around a while. They're considered one of the best in the Triangle. I do not have a pool myself, so I have no first hand knowledge; just wanted to pass on what I've heard from friends.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,591,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis511 View Post
I've heard Backyard Oasis Pools in really good, and they're been around a while. They're considered one of the best in the Triangle. I do not have a pool myself, so I have no first hand knowledge; just wanted to pass on what I've heard from friends.
Hmmm, I've never even heard of them. I do know Rising Sun Pools has been around since the early 70s and several people I know had their pools installed by them and consider them to be the best.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM

22 posts, read 52,279 times
Here is a picture of our pool here in Durham.
Attached Thumbnails
Swimming Pool Dealer Recommendation-555.jpg   Swimming Pool Dealer Recommendation-561.jpg  

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: No commenting on Mod activity, per T.O.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary