Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,656 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in El Paso, Texas and we dislike it very much. We are both originally from Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh and Philly). We moved out here for job opportunities about a year ago and are hating it more and more each day. My boyfriend has been offered a job in Raliegh and a few other areas on the east coast, we are trying to decide where to move. We like that Raliegh is full of young professionals and is only a 7 hour drive from family. The housing cost is very affordable and the weather is nice. How hot does it get in the summer? (we are currently living in 110 and up) I am currently a PICU nurse manager but when we move I want to get back to the bedside, so finding a job shouldn't be hard. Which PICU in the triangle is the best to work at as far as staff satisfaction and acuity of patients, I am used to and miss taking care of highly acute patients. We are both 24 and can't go through living in a town like this again. El Paso could be a great town although, the culture is a lot different than we are used to being from the east. Almost everyone our age here has atleast one child, we are definetly not ready for children. It has been extremely hard to make friends here and we are both very lonely. Are there places in the triangle to go out and meet people? Which area of the triangle would be best suited for people like us? We are looking for a place that we can easily go out and do stuff and make friends. However, we don't want to be back in a college scene. My boyfriend is a law enforcement agent so he will be working some odd hours and I want to be safe. I am used to living in the heart of Philly although dirty I loved how close everything was and the great people like us. I want to find a place that will allow us to have fun and enjoy our last few years before parenthood. I think Raliegh area could be the place but we would appreciate some insight!

Thanks a million-
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
It does get "damned hot" here in the summer. But, we need nurses! The worst of the hot weather (mid 90s with very high humidity) only lasts about 3 weeks, usually, in July-August.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,429,856 times
There's quite a variety of hospitals here. If you want an PICU in an academic center - we have Duke (Durham) and UNC (Chapel Hill). Both have pediatric hospitals. WakeMed (Raleigh) also has a PICU.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Just move here, if for no other reason than to get out of Texas. Texas? What were you thinking?

You should have no problem getting a nursing job. Just take a look at the openings at UNC, Duke, and WakeMed.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:09 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,346,155 times
Elpaso, Texas.. Been there on business and over the boarder into Mexico! The biggest bugs I ever seen was in my Hotel in Elpaso when I turn the lights on at night to go to the bathroom.....There were certainly Texas size! Buts that another tread in the Texas City-Data. Back to your question.

I am originally from Pa so know what you are saying. I think you will find Raleigh just like Pa with two obvious differences. One, the weather is a whole lot better. I mean better than a Philly Steak better! Two, the taxes are cheaper than Pa. Now sure about Elpaso's....

Do we need Nurses, yes. Can you find a place to make friends with young professional that do not have children yet, yes! Is it 110 here in the summer, Yes with the heat index. Elpaso get a dryer heat. We get the Humid-ittyyy! The kind like on my keyboard that just had the tt and yyy stick. But not much different than a Philly July or August day just more of them.

Downtown Condo living my suit your needs. Its central, night life, and young professionals. Also, you certainly will be a heck of a lot closer than Elpaso to family.

So good luck get a great local Realtor who can provide sound information about the area and its many housing choices. A lot of great Realtors visit and are contributors to this site so pick one out and start the process. They are the ones that say Real Estate under their names.....go figure! Good luck!

P.S. I would be remiss to not mention to you to have a look see on what Wake Forest can offer you while your looking. OK that my commercial for Wake Forest!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,610,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Just move here, if for no other reason than to get out of Texas. Texas? What were you thinking?
I'm originally from Pittsburgh (first 21 years of my life) and then moved to Dallas TX right out of college (next 21 years of my life) and now live in Raleigh. I definitely like Raleigh the best.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:39 AM

635 posts, read 3,093,943 times
I too lived in Pittsburgh, also have lived in Dallas.... and also concur that if you liked PA, you'll probably like NC. You'd probably REALLY like the western part of NC where it gets a bit more mountainous and there is a higher concentration of hardwoods if you were more of a "rural PA" type versus urban. But either way, I bet you'll like Raleigh as well.

Come check it out

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary