Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,700,080 times

Advertisements

The job market is pretty bad across the country and being an out-of-state applicant only makes things a lot harder. So I'm giving serious thought to just moving to Raleigh without having a job lined up. Normally, I wouldn't take such a risk. But it feels like I'll never even get an interview as long as people see a non-local address. My field is IT, specifically Java/J2EE development. I have 8 years of experience. Moving would be a lot easier for me than most people. I don't have to sell a house and don't have a spouse or kids to worry about. I figure I could just rent until I land a job and then once I'm settled, buy a house. So I'd like to hear people's opinion, especially if you're in IT. Do you think this is a bad idea and that continuing to apply for jobs from out of state would be a better move? I just have this feeling I'll get a lot more responses, not to mention better networking options, if I live in the Raleigh area. But my nightmare scenario is that I'll exhaust my savings and still not have a job. Any ideas on how long I should expect to be out of work if I move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 6,194,775 times
I really don't think you should move here without a job in hand. Have you seen the news about all the IT layoffs here recently? IBM, Nortel, Verizon Business ... just to name a few. Lots of smaller companies too. It's just not that great here either, and going through your savings should be a real concern. How many months of expenses do you think you have in savings?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,087,921 times
Sorry, Denny, but I don't think it would be a good idea for you to come down here. Competition for IT jobs was already really high around here back when the economy was in good shape. Now it's even worse because so many local companies are laying off hundreds of people. Sony laid off hundreds of people here in October (article). Lenovo is laying off a number of people (article). IBM just laid off a number of people last week (Article. And here's a recent thread about it). And Nortel is filing for bankruptcy & cutting jobs (article). Personally, I think it's just bad timing & you shouldn't try it yet, but that's just me. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM

535 posts, read 1,747,418 times
The State has froze IT also, there were a few programming gigs there (not java though). It is a large area but IT is taking a hit. I had a transfer lined up to Raleigh (state IT) and that was recently stopped due to conditions.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,411,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
The job market is pretty bad across the country and being an out-of-state applicant only makes things a lot harder. So I'm giving serious thought to just moving to Raleigh without having a job lined up. Normally, I wouldn't take such a risk. But it feels like I'll never even get an interview as long as people see a non-local address. My field is IT, specifically Java/J2EE development. I have 8 years of experience. Moving would be a lot easier for me than most people. I don't have to sell a house and don't have a spouse or kids to worry about. I figure I could just rent until I land a job and then once I'm settled, buy a house. So I'd like to hear people's opinion, especially if you're in IT. Do you think this is a bad idea and that continuing to apply for jobs from out of state would be a better move? I just have this feeling I'll get a lot more responses, not to mention better networking options, if I live in the Raleigh area. But my nightmare scenario is that I'll exhaust my savings and still not have a job. Any ideas on how long I should expect to be out of work if I move there?
If someone already has a good job where they are, has children or has no reserve funds, I would say it would not be a good idea to move in this national recession. However, if someone is already out of work or has good reserve funds and no kids, then that opens up the doors for them. In good times, I feel pretty comfortable being able to land a job in 2 to 4 months. In slower times like this, 4 to 6 months might be more like it. It is true that being in state makes it easier to land a job than being out of state. It's all a matter of your comfort level. Not having kids at home makes it so much easier. I would make sure you have at least one year of reserve cash available.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 PM

850 posts, read 4,755,503 times
Just an FYI about the rental market....most apartments won't qualify you to live there without an income of 3 times the rent. Some will accept a savings of 1 year's rent in lieu of that, but not all. It can certainly be challenging finding an apartment without a job.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Just an FYI about the rental market....most apartments won't qualify you to live there without an income of 3 times the rent. Some will accept a savings of 1 year's rent in lieu of that, but not all. It can certainly be challenging finding an apartment without a job.
That maybe true, but there are plenty more options on craigslist. It's too bad they expect that, b/c for some ppl that rules them out.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,798,513 times
It is not good or bad, just stupid. IT alphabet soup will not impress in either Charlotte or Raleigh. Too many in the bread line, already.

Denny, if you move without a job, you will lose your first case.

Guaranteed.

But if you do come, bring that black haired lawyer with you and send her down towards New Bern. Thanks. That blond that got pregnant will do, too.

lln

Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,247,939 times
I retired from USPS IT in Raleigh in 2007 with 17 years.

Good jobs, good benefits.

Unfortunately, USPS is way in the red and indefinitely frozen.

Don't count on a job here. Even retail is shrinking.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,707,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That maybe true, but there are plenty more options on craigslist. It's too bad they expect that, b/c for some ppl that rules them out.
Not being able to rent an apartment because one has no income and insufficient savings ... that's a bad thing? Is it better to let someone move into a place they can't afford, only to have to evict them a month or two later when they haven't paid the rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary