Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,667,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Denny, it's almost unanimous: DON'T DO IT. And yet, you seem to be talking yourself into doing it anyway?

Find a job SOMEWHERE before you move--if yours isn't stable, then find one and move THERE. If "there" isn't Raleigh, then don't delude yourself into thinking that somehow you can land here and be hired for your resume...we have three good universities (and two community colleges) here, churning out Comp Sci majors and programmers like crazy, all the while IT jobs are drying up.

I'd set your sights on somewhere else, at least for the time being. But, I read between the lines that you seem to have already decided you're coming here, so I'm not sure why you asked us?
First off, I never assumed that it would be easy to find a job once I moved there. But I do think it would be EASIER since I'd at least have a local address. A lot of the job postings I see expressly state LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY.

Second, Raleigh is the place I want to be. I'm not happy with the city I live in for a number of reasons. I moved here a few years ago and quickly discovered I made a mistake. I'm not going to just move to any city because I land a job there. That's really bad advice. There are other criteria that matter to me besides being able to find a job. I've settled on Raleigh and one way or the other, I hope to move there. My only issue is whether to quit now and move or wait til I find a job. After reading the responses I got, I've already decided that moving without a job would be too risky. But now I have to consider what to do if I lose my current job. If you want to be in city A and you live in city B and you have no job in city A, then why bother staying? For the moment, I will stay but only because I have a job here and not there. The whole point of this thread wasn't to get you to convince me to go somewhere else. It was to get an idea of just how bad conditions are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 PM

621 posts, read 2,221,859 times
It seems like a lot of ppl on these board are a little selfish, not wanting the unemployment rates to go up (I don't blame them). I'm sure everyone can understand the 'tunnel vision' you're going through, as you pretty much hate where you live right now. You should probably read all the feedback and make your decision for what's best for you--don't look back once you do. Best of luck!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
It seems like a lot of ppl on these board are a little selfish, not wanting the unemployment rates to go up (I don't blame them). I'm sure everyone can understand the 'tunnel vision' you're going through, as you pretty much hate where you live right now. You should probably read all the feedback and make your decision for what's best for you--don't look back once you do. Best of luck!
Thanks. I have made my decision. I'll wait til I find a job and then move. But I've already made up my mind that Raleigh, despite the economic downturn, is still the best place for me.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,201,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Thanks. I have made my decision. I'll wait til I find a job and then move. But I've already made up my mind that Raleigh, despite the economic downturn, is still the best place for me.
Good decision.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,403,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

IMO, 6 month reserves in not enough. As you already have a job, I say focus on saving up at least one year, if not 18 months reserves AFTER moving expenses. One has never been hurt by saving up extra cash. If you should then lose your job there, you can move here. If you are out of work, then there is no real harm moving somewhere that is at least as good if not better. If you keep your job, then keep saving the money until you feel the time is right. If I were in your shoes, I would try to pick up some part time job to increase your savings rate.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,757,849 times
Back in the good ole days the rule of thumb was for every $10K in salary, it would take a month to find a job-- starting from scratch.

That is probably double now, and in IT, where there is an overabundance, possibly even higher.

Good Luck.

LLN

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
IMO, 6 month reserves in not enough. As you already have a job, I say focus on saving up at least one year, if not 18 months reserves AFTER moving expenses. One has never been hurt by saving up extra cash. If you should then lose your job there, you can move here. If you are out of work, then there is no real harm moving somewhere that is at least as good if not better. If you keep your job, then keep saving the money until you feel the time is right. If I were in your shoes, I would try to pick up some part time job to increase your savings rate.
Thank you. Finally someone understands what I've been trying to say. I was hoping to move by this spring or summer. Chances are that's not going to happen. But if I can get out of here before next winter, that would be great. And assuming I still have my job, that would give me more time to save up.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,201,748 times
Hope it works out for you, Denny.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 PM

353 posts, read 1,368,811 times
I didn't read the entire thread but I have to say, especially in this economy, if you need to get a job to live, even within the next year, don't quite your job and move. I am a risk taker and there is no way I would quite my job and move if I need to get a job when I moved. We are in such a bad state in this economy that wishful thinking is not enough.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:22 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,072,023 times
Denny, I just wanted to say that I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting that you should entirely give up the dream of moving to this area. If that's what you want, you should do it ... eventually. We've only offered words of caution because we want your experience to be positive & rewarding for you. The timing may not be quite right just now, but with a little effort & patience, I'm sure you'll find yourself on the road to Raleigh in no time. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary