Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 AM

353 posts, read 1,368,471 times

Advertisements

I spoke with a friend who worked in the Wake County School System. She said that several years ago (she has since moved to Texas), there was talk that Cary is trying to separate from the County to have it's own school district (similar to Chapel Hill/Carrboro being separate from Orange County). Does anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,322,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I spoke with a friend who worked in the Wake County School System. She said that several years ago (she has since moved to Texas), there was talk that Cary is trying to separate from the County to have it's own school district (similar to Chapel Hill/Carrboro being separate from Orange County). Does anyone know anything about this?
This seems to come up every now and then. IMO it is idle chit chat. I think the chances of it ever happening are around 0%. It would require action from the NC general assembly for that to happen. The process would be brutal, drawn out, and ugly.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM

43,400 posts, read 77,339,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
There is no initiative for TOC government for withdrawing from WCPSS.
It is just talk on the street.
Cary would have to build schools for a few hundred million bucks, or buy schools from WCPSS, and the will is not in place for either to happen.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 AM

353 posts, read 1,368,471 times
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,159,744 times
It was a concept tossed out by some candidates for public office in Cary. I know that my Town Council rep, Don Frantz, made a bunch of public statements suggesting that Cary split off from WCPSS when he was running for election (see item 6 here: Don Frantz: Candidate for Cary Council District B: Elections: Candidate Questionnaires.: Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill ). I assume it was a statement he made without really understanding what is involved.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,701,386 times
Yeah, won't happen. I think that Chapel Hill/Carrboro is separate b/c they never merged with the county schools. Durham and Wake used to be separate. You had Durham City/County Schools and you had Wake County/Raleigh Schools unitl they merged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary