Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM

9,381 posts, read 14,319,610 times

Advertisements

It is unfair to criticize without providing potential solutions. First we need to break the recent fiasco up into discrete problems, then provide options to solve them. I haven't really thought this through, but many of you CD folks may have. Some of the problems: 1. Acrimony on the school board; 2. No oversight for the board (checks and balances); 3. School system is overcrowded due to continued growth in the area; 4. Experimental 'choice' assignment system does not seem to be working for many families; 5. Too much bussing; 6. Not all students are actively engaged.
What else, and what to do about it? Constructive ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM

280 posts, read 743,494 times
I would like for the entire board to tender their resignations before we address any of the concerns you mention. I dont think these clowns are capable of doing anything right for the students in WCPSS.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,246,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
I would like for the entire board to tender their resignations before we address any of the concerns you mention. I dont think these clowns are capable of doing anything right for the students in WCPSS.
Yes, get rid of the bigoted transplants that tried to turn WCPSS into New Jersey.

Then, hire back our previous great Superintendent, Dr. Del Burns.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM

22,769 posts, read 37,104,340 times
Take politics out of it. I still have not heard a reasonable explanation why policitcs need to be involved in this. I think that would be a huge step in solving a lot of these problems.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM

621 posts, read 2,225,800 times
From an outsider's observation (no children yet), I feel that the Choice Plan was a poor decision. It seemed like they were trying to please everyone and causing even more issues. While I don't have all of the details/facts, I can't understand why having a normal address-based system wouldn't work. Guess I'm not as "involved" as many others are in this debacle.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,464,599 times
I would like for the citizens to avoid knee-jerk reactions before the entire story unfolds. I think we should be equally ready to give the benefit of the doubt to Mr. Tata and to the board majority. Let's assume the best intentions in both and withhold judgment until the facts are clear.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,194,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Take politics out of it. I still have not heard a reasonable explanation why policitcs need to be involved in this. I think that would be a huge step in solving a lot of these problems.
It is virtually impossible to take politics out of it now, because everyone is voting for or against school board members based on their own personal politics and party lines. It is the people of Wake County who need to stop the politicking at the polls if you want it to stop on the school board!!!
However, I dont' see that happening any time soon, especially with huge split between the 2 ideologies on school assignment and educational models.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 25,031,101 times
Hey, I joined this forum to have a place to ***** and moan and judge other people. (And to discuss the finer points of pizza and BBQ.) If we're gonna start getting all touchy-feely, hugging one another and singing Kum Ba Yah as we try to solve world's problems, then I'm outta here. See ya on GOLO!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,246,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
From an outsider's observation (no children yet), I feel that the Choice Plan was a poor decision. It seemed like they were trying to please everyone and causing even more issues. While I don't have all of the details/facts, I can't understand why having a normal address-based system wouldn't work. Guess I'm not as "involved" as many others are in this debacle.
You are right.

Having students from one area bused to 5 or more different schools is insane.

When this worthless board realized from Reverend Barbour that the original neighborhood school plan had issues, the board should have left things alone until a good solution was developed.

By the way, the wastrel board abandoned the WCPSS central office building, which was long paid for, to lease a new office in Cary. The old building hasn't yet been sold.

So, did these bigots find an urgent reason to go to Cary or was this part of their bigotry in moving where the economically disadvantaged could not attend meetings because of lack of public transit?

Dr. Burns should be begged to return and the carpetbaggers who want to bring bigotry to Wake County thrown out by a recall election.

It doesn't matter but, FYI, I'm Caucasian and believe in neighborhood schools but not for the reasons of this bigoted board. it's great for kids to go to the same school as their neighbors and saves a lot of diesel fuel.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:55 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,193,381 times
Let's put the current board members in the Hunger Games. The winner gets to be the new transportation director for life, having to personally field every email and phone call from complaining parents. May the odds be EVER in your favor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary