Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,438,905 times

Advertisements

http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/ra...e-gender07.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Default WCPSS - research by Percentage of F&R, Title 1 status, etc.

http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/sp...-achieve07.pdf

Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Can you explain the Academic Achievement area (the purple boxes)? What does Level 1 -2 Performance etc mean??

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Can you explain the Academic Achievement area (the purple boxes)? What does Level 1 -2 Performance etc mean??

Thanks!
Just a guess here... but I think it may have something to do with End of Grade Scores? Students get 1,2, 3 or 4 in Math and Language.

I think it has something to do with the % of children getting 1 or 2 on EOG's

Students need to get 3 or 4's.

This data doesn't appear to be included on the high school level - high schools have end of class (state mandated) tests in... maybe 10 classes.. but they don't take EOG's (End of Grades) after middle school..

Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,761,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Just a guess here... but I think it may have something to do with End of Grade Scores? Students get 1,2, 3 or 4 in Math and Language.

I think it has something to do with the % of children getting 1 or 2 on EOG's
You know that was my first guess too. But I found it very disconcerting that they would list the % of kids getting 1s or 2s and not the % getting 3s or 4s. It's kind of like looking at the glass half empty but in this case the glass is a child.

So I'm hoping we're both wrong and that these 1s and 2s mean something else.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 38,017 times
The second url listed, spelled completely out, is this:

www . wcpss . net / demographics / special-need /
needs-achieve07 . pdf

(extra spaces inserted so it doesn't automatically parse and condense the link)

I think this report is specifically targeting the special needs population and looking to find the underperforming groups.

Doing a search for Level 1 -2 on their site netted a series of similar charts for various years, and a page noting the elementary school report cards:

WCPSS: Understanding the Elementary School Report Card

----Begin quote:
Student performance levels The student performance level is determined by a variety of assessment data for each object that is addressed that grading period. Work habits and conduct grades are separate from the student’s content proficiency.
Level 4 - Extends targeted grade level standards:...
Level 3* - Demonstrates proficiency of targeted grade level standards with evidence of application over time: ...
Level 3 - Demonstrates proficiency of targeted grade level standard: ...
Level 2 - Inconsistent and needs support to meet targeted grade level standards: ...
Level 1 - Insufficient performance of targeted grade level standards with support:...

---End Quote.

I think most of us grew up getting A, B, C, D and F, not 4, 3*, 3, 2, and 1.

I have no idea if the Levels 1, 2 used in the needs-acheive.pdf report are the same as what are on the report cards, however. It appears "level" has many connotations in WCPSS data analysis.

This report might be useful to help determine which schools need help with underperforming segments of the population to aid in reassignment and/or resource allocation. While it's nice to highlight the top end of the spectrum (particularly for parents wanting to choose a school for their child), it also is necessary to pinpoint the schools/populations that require help.

Last edited by scout84; 03-07-2008 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: removed spurious size tags from cut/paste from other website

Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout84 View Post
The second url listed, spelled completely out, is this:

www . wcpss . net / demographics / special-need / needs-achieve07 . pdf

(extra spaces inserted so it doesn't automatically parse and condense the link)

I think this report is specifically targeting the special needs population and looking to find the underperforming groups.

Doing a search for Level 1 -2 on their site netted a series of similar charts for various years, and a page noting the elementary school report cards:

WCPSS: Understanding the Elementary School Report Card

----Begin quote:
Student performance levels The student performance level is determined by a variety of assessment data for each object that is addressed that grading period. Work habits and conduct grades are separate from the student’s content proficiency.
Level 4 - Extends targeted grade level standards:...
Level 3* - Demonstrates proficiency of targeted grade level standards with evidence of application over time: ...
Level 3 - Demonstrates proficiency of targeted grade level standard: ...
Level 2 - Inconsistent and needs support to meet targeted grade level standards: ...
Level 1 - Insufficient performance of targeted grade level standards with support:...
---End Quote.

I think most of us grew up getting A, B, C, D and F, not 4, 3*, 3, 2, and 1.

I have no idea if the Levels 1, 2 used in the needs-acheive.pdf report are the same as what are on the report cards, however. It appears "level" has many connotations in WCPSS data analysis.

This report might be useful to help determine which schools need help with underperforming segments of the population to aid in reassignment and/or resource allocation. While it's nice to highlight the top end of the spectrum (particularly for parents wanting to choose a school for their child), it also is necessary to pinpoint the schools/populations that require help.
It gets more confusing because a 4 doesn't equal an A.. or a 3 a B.. so on and so forth. A few years ago, there was talk about implementing 1,2,3, 4 in the middle schools.. but thank goodness it didn't happen.

IMO.. in the primary grades.. say 1 -2.. I like the old fashioned "O" (Outstanding or its present day equivilant).. "S" or "I" for improving.. and yes.. "U" - I think they call it NP (needs improvement).. with letter grades starting around grade 3.

I sense more frustration from the parents vs. the children when it comes to this grading system...

Old 03-08-2008, 05:28 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,120,753 times
WHen I wa sin elementary school in WCPSS way back when, we got C (commendable), S (satisfactory) and U for unsatisfactory. But back then, I think the grades were more subjective. At least now the 1,2,3,4 system has some objective standards behind it.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM

134 posts, read 523,253 times
Default It is confusing...

` I think Wake County's whole grading system with 1,2, 3, 4's with their demonstrating proficiencies is confusing. Students have to demonstrate certain proficiencies when tested...there are times when children are having a bad day. I know with my own children, there are times that they understand a concept and then next week they forgot it and then they remember again. I would like to see concrete examples of what my children do and how they did or didn't peform on those test areas that make that specific grade.
We were previoulsy at a private school and they gave you specific examples of how your child got this particular grade because on this test they did this or that. You were given the actual paperwork to see the examples, or if it was an oral test (say reading) they would tell you specifically which words your child read incorrectly or skipped etc.
` Wake County gives a child a grade based on skills they say they have or have not demonstrated, but they give you zero evidence of it either way. In addition, if the child needs to work on areas, it would be more helpful if the parent could see specifically what the child missed so they can improve those specific areas. Without that, parents are left clueless and cannot help the child.
In addition, I am frustrated that Wake County teachers (not all, but many) do not correct homework. I have one child in first grade and the aide does check homework, but my 3rd grader's homework is never checked. Also, many of the in-class writing assignments are not corrected by the teacher. The best way to become a better writer is by having the red ink all over the paper so you know what to do next time. I think Wake County has a lot of work cut out to improve a marginal school system.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
This thread is two and half years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary