Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,192,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Another day and no issues with my HD cable box. What gives?
Maybe TWC got it right.

I heard horror stories of trying to reach TWC. Called tonight reporting an issue and had great service.

My analog service requires no box and is rock solid. TWC lost a lot of business with the software issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM

945 posts, read 1,974,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Maybe TWC got it right.

I heard horror stories of trying to reach TWC. Called tonight reporting an issue and had great service.

My analog service requires no box and is rock solid. TWC lost a lot of business with the software issues.

I am glad they fixed things then. I love my perfect HD signal. Nothing like MLB, NFL & NASCAR in HD.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM

7 posts, read 21,562 times
The problem is the new software -- called Mystro. The best thing to do is complain about it, and cite it specifically (that you dislike the new software, Mystro, that runs the box). When I first got digital cable, and DVR service, the software that ran the box was something called Passport, and it worked great. Since the new software was pushed, the service is terrible. The box takes forever to reboot, hangs up at odd times, is missing a lot of the features that were previously available (try searching for shows). If you google around, you'll see that there have been multiple complaints in multiple locations in regards to this "upgrade."

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM

945 posts, read 1,974,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WkField View Post
The problem is the new software -- called Mystro. The best thing to do is complain about it, and cite it specifically (that you dislike the new software, Mystro, that runs the box). When I first got digital cable, and DVR service, the software that ran the box was something called Passport, and it worked great. Since the new software was pushed, the service is terrible. The box takes forever to reboot, hangs up at odd times, is missing a lot of the features that were previously available (try searching for shows). If you google around, you'll see that there have been multiple complaints in multiple locations in regards to this "upgrade."

Thanks, but I don't have any problems. Mine seems fine.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 21,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Thanks, but I don't have any problems. Mine seems fine.
Right -- I'm mentioning that to the folks who are still having problems.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Does anyone else have this problem with their HD cable box? When you watch a recorded show the picture will freeze but the audio keeps playing than at some point the picture goes black but the audio keeps playing. We never had that on the Digital cable box. Don't know if its the box or just another outstanding reliable service offering from Time Warner Cable.
We were having a ton of issues with our HD DVR. It only happened with some of our recorded shows tho. During playback the picture would break up & the sound also. We called Time Warner & they came out. The problem wasn't the box surpriseingly enough. The problem was the cable signal coming into the house wasn't strong enough. They fixed it & we haven't had a problem since.

Our HD DVR is in our bedroom & it was making some crazy noises and driving my husband nuts. He took it on his lunch break today back to TWC & exchanged it for another one.

We've never considered satelite because it cuts out during thunderstorms.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 PM

133 posts, read 393,980 times
Thumbs down Time Warner SUCKS!

We had the TW service for several months and we hated pretty much everything about it. It cut out all the time. Programs would break up. Sometimes there'd be no sound. We hated their brand of TiVo too. The user interface was lame and we were constantly cursing it everytime we tried to record or view a program. (We previously had real TiVo where we used to live, which was wonderful.) Oh, and I can't tell you how many times we'd call TW and the number would be busy. The last straw was when their phone was literally busy for days without a break. We tried it all times of day! We had our cable box switched out twice too. When we finally unplugged it and tried to turn it in at Cary Town Center's kiosk, we were told they can't accept boxes at that location and we have to go to their main office in Cary. Oh brother! So we did that, and of course there was a long line of people returning cable boxes. I couldn't wait to give them back their box and cancel my service. And do you think that they ask why you're cancelling service? NO! That says a lot. It says that TW doesn't really care. They're a cable monopoly. It should be a routine question in anyone's business to ask why you're cancelling service. Not as a challenge, but just for their records. Obviously, if there is a common reason that people are cancelling, then they should look into that problem. But TW doesn't even care!

The best thing I did regarding this was switch to DIRECT TV. Sooooooooooo much better. The TiVo is great. The HD is great. Many, many more channels that we like. Like another poster said, the only downside is that service can cut in and out during thunderstorms... but it wasn't too bad. I'd still take DIRECT TV anyday over lame TW.

P.S. My sister-in-law said their TW box was bad too and they had to replace their box several times too. This is obviously a rampant problem with the box software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary